PDA

View Full Version : Legality of shooting on BLM land?

MasterYong
05-27-2009, 12:17 PM
On a beach near my home, there is a parcel of BLM land called the Samoa Dunes Recreation Area, which consists of dunes, dune forest, beach, and ocean. It's a 300 acre parcel and ironically is adjacent to a shooting range. There are spent shell casings (especially from shotguns) all over the place, concentrated mostly in the dunes portion on the parcel.

The Samoa Dunes Recreation Area is managed by the Arcata BLM office. When I call the Arcata office, they state that it is illegal to discharge firearms in this area. There is, however, no signage anywhere around the parcel, including the parking and picnic area at the entrance to the area, that states that I cannot discharge my firearms. I was unsure about the information I received from the Arcata BLM office, so I called another office (I can't recall which one) and they told me that they weren't sure about that particular area, but that the bottom line was that if firearms are prohibited then it had to be posted.

I'm getting conflicting information here, and I suspect that the info I'm getting from the Arcata office is FUD. Arcata is notoriously liberal (more dread heads than not), and I could see the average Arcatan that works at the BLM office spouting FUD to prevent the discharge of evil weapons.

Does anyone know how I can find out for sure? Am I asking the right questions? Is it true that there can't be a prohibition on firearm usage on BLM land if there's no posted prohibitions?

Any insight in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

TRICKSTER
05-27-2009, 12:23 PM
BLM's own website states that it would be posted.
http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/Recreation/recreation_national/Shooting_Sports_Hunting/travel_mgt__outreach.html

sideshowhr
05-27-2009, 12:27 PM
so... does one need a hunting license to hunt on blm land?

E Pluribus Unum
05-27-2009, 12:32 PM
so... does one need a hunting license to hunt on blm land?

One needs a hunting license to hunt on his own property.... one needs a fishing license to fish in his own lake if that lake receives water from a stream.

One cannot do anything in this state without a license. They need their money.

professorhard
05-27-2009, 12:34 PM
From BLM website

4. How can I determine what areas are closed to shooting?

Information about BLM public land areas that are closed to shooting is available at the BLM Field Offices and will be posted on site. In addition, you cannot shoot in developed recreation sites and/or areas, including campgrounds.

The name of the place would make it seem that it is a "developed recreation site"

MasterYong
05-27-2009, 12:41 PM
From BLM website

4. How can I determine what areas are closed to shooting?

Information about BLM public land areas that are closed to shooting is available at the BLM Field Offices and will be posted on site. In addition, you cannot shoot in developed recreation sites and/or areas, including campgrounds.

The name of the place would make it seem that it is a "developed recreation site"

This is what I was thinking. On the same page, a "developed recreation site" is defined as having some or all of these features: "delineated spaces for parking, camping or boat launching, sanitary facilities, potable water, grills or fire rings, tables, controlled access, and/or kiosk sites."

The Samoa Dunes Recreation Center does have these things, but only near the parking area. It's a 300-acre parcel however, and it is possible to get quite far from these developed areas.

I guess I'm splitting hairs here. It's simply frustrating to me because there is so little BLM land around here. It's all National Forest (which I know is OK) but I have to drive quite a ways to get to it. Oh well.

bulgron
05-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Also, some BLM land is jointly managed with state, county or local governments. In that situation, local laws on weapon usage will apply.

Basically, when in doubt, don't shoot there.

tube_ee
05-27-2009, 1:52 PM
One needs a hunting license to hunt on his own property.... one needs a fishing license to fish in his own lake if that lake receives water from a stream.

One cannot do anything in this state without a license. They need their money.

You cannot hunt on that land. So if you're going to post your land, make sure your signs say "no hunting without permission of owner" or some such.

Hunting on posted land is a big, big fine.

Actually, that's true of all the fish and game laws. Breaking them is about the most expensive civil infraction you can commit. Just don't do it.

--Shannon

E Pluribus Unum
05-27-2009, 4:01 PM
You cannot hunt on that land. So if you're going to post your land, make sure your signs say "no hunting without permission of owner" or some such.

Hunting on posted land is a big, big fine.

Actually, that's true of all the fish and game laws. Breaking them is about the most expensive civil infraction you can commit. Just don't do it.

--Shannon

I would advise you not to start a post in the "subject" line. No one ever reads that on a reply... it took me about 40 seconds of reading and re-reading to understand what you were saying.

MasterYong
05-27-2009, 4:12 PM
I would advise you not to start a post in the "subject" line. No one ever reads that on a reply... it took me about 40 seconds of reading and re-reading to understand what you were saying.

I just assumed he was babbling.... I couldn't make sense of it at all until your post- I didn't care too much because it was in no way relevant to the thread.

bigcalidave
05-27-2009, 6:46 PM
I'm assuming you can't shoot at samoa dunes because us atv and dirtbike riders don't wanna get shot on the beach! There isn't that much room at samoa, and people always seem to be riding around everywhere. I'm sure you could be safe, but it's probably a good policy. I'm annoyed with BLM in shasta county here, for some reason they don't like anyone shooting except a few very small areas, and we have tons of open BLM land not being used for anything!

E Pluribus Unum
05-28-2009, 9:44 AM
I'm assuming you can't shoot at samoa dunes because us atv and dirtbike riders don't wanna get shot on the beach! There isn't that much room at samoa, and people always seem to be riding around everywhere. I'm sure you could be safe, but it's probably a good policy. I'm annoyed with BLM in shasta county here, for some reason they don't like anyone shooting except a few very small areas, and we have tons of open BLM land not being used for anything!

First rule of shooting is know what is down range. In the dunes, one cannot see more than the next hill away; how would it be possible to safely shoot in this situation? We must be responsible gun owners despite what the rules say.

CHS
05-28-2009, 10:51 AM
It's a 300 acre parcel and ironically is adjacent to a shooting range.

There's the solution to your problem. Shoot on the shooting range.

MasterYong
05-28-2009, 11:23 AM
There's the solution to your problem. Shoot on the shooting range.

I'm going to assume that was heavy sarcasm. Of course I shoot at the shooting range- but I also want somewhere to shoot where I can plink (with metal targets) since the range doesn't allow that. Only paper targets are allowed, they have gongs at the 100 yard and 200 yard ranges but I want to setup something more complicated (elevation, etc).