PDA

View Full Version : How are Officers trained about OLLs?

cyrus
05-27-2009, 11:06 AM
How are Officers trained about OLLs?

If someone has a cmmg bullet button AR or colt CAR-A3 (6724 a rare OLL)?

PolishMike
05-27-2009, 11:24 AM
They are not.

fourXfour
05-27-2009, 12:08 PM
If the penal code gets updated then there will a legal update, otherwise it is up to the dept's gun guys to assist making the call.

Kingfish
05-27-2009, 12:09 PM
What's an OLL? No seriously, people can buy deadly machine guns in CA?! :eek: (Heavy sarcasm).

As stated above, I have never seen a single training bulletin or informational flyer detailing the overly complex and superfluous CA laws regarding OLL's and Black Rifles in general. I would say youíre probably a little paranoid if you believe that your local LEO is going to be knocking on doors asking to inspect your OLL to ensure you have your BB or Prince 50 kit properly installed and that it is in full compliance.

No, lets say you decide to show off your newly assembled OLL with the brand new 30rd PMAG "rebuild" kit you just purchased to refurbish your old PMAG that you originally purchased back in 1986 or whenever (Oh wait, they didn't exist until a few years ago?!). So you walk out into the middle of your suburban cul-de-sac and while BBQ'ing some brauts, decide to do a mag dump to impress your friends. I can pretty much guarantee you that some savvy LEO will be up on the gun laws to put your arse in a sling. While most would be looking at the gun trying to figure out why the rifle just has a scary black aura of evil about it.

Lesson is, don't draw attention to yourself, and donít be stupid. And although that sounds simple enough, how do you think we catch most of the people we arrest? They fail to follow those two simple rules.

Ron-Solo
05-27-2009, 2:48 PM
The only thing I've seen is a briefing by someone at Sacramento PD (or SD) the covered the subject somewhat. I don't think it really addressed BB's.

cyrus
05-27-2009, 4:59 PM
I know what you mean to keep quiet and do not do anything to draw attention.

It is just that I would like to think that my bullet button, and compliant Colt 6724 HBar Elite OLL will not get me a trip to pokie. Are BB even discussed?

I am new to guns somewhat and am amazed how complexed and endless difficult and poorly written the laws are. I feel sorry for LEO to have to try to enforce it.

Jicko
05-27-2009, 5:35 PM
I know what you mean to keep quiet and do not do anything to draw attention.

It is just that I would like to think that my bullet button, and compliant Colt 6724 HBar Elite OLL will not get me a trip to pokie. Are BB even discussed?

I am new to guns somewhat and am amazed how complexed and endless difficult and poorly written the laws are. I feel sorry for LEO to have to try to enforce it.

Get something else if you are REALLY worried. Get a STAG...... and bring with you the memo from the SacPD detective and bring with you the STAG CA DOJ letter....

But at the end, if they are to come get you, they will, one way or the other...

Just do not give them the PC to stop you or to get in your house.

nobody33
05-27-2009, 6:46 PM
I've never received any training on OLL's. Never heard of them until I came here.

My training on -all- weapons laws was about 4 hours. It's all about pushing people through and getting people out on the street. They leave faster than we can hire them.

Jwood562
05-27-2009, 8:39 PM
as stated before, we are not. my prohibited weapons LD was 4 hours long.

all of my weapons training (as well as other areas of my job) come from outside training and classes. I think many other LEOs will agree that there are a million areas of training available and it is up to us to take adavantge to help us.

sgtbuck
05-27-2009, 9:56 PM
You know it's funny. I know more about California gun laws now that I am retired then I ever knew as a Officer. I also try to keep my buddies updated that are still on the job. I can tell you the word about OLLs is out and being passed to LEOs all the time now. I even have a few buddies that carry the flow chart in their war bag for checking if needed.

Also you would be suprised at how many LEOs read this site but choose not to post.

bombadillo
05-27-2009, 10:04 PM
I buy guns that are not colt, bushmaster, and RRA for the specific reason that if by chance I do get pulled over or searched, there is no question about it being listed or not. I buy sun devil, cmmg, stag, mega, and want to get a noveske and POF for my next builds. As stated, don't draw attention, don't make an idiot of yourself at the range, don't have a bunch of evil looking things attached to them when unnecessary, and you'll be doing ok.

PolishMike
05-28-2009, 9:50 AM
I buy guns that are not colt, bushmaster, and RRA for the specific reason that if by chance I do get pulled over or searched, there is no question about it being listed or not.

Most officers won't know about a "list". You are just as likely to get a stag confiscated as you are a bushmaster. If it looks like an ar/ak, most cops will assume you cant own it.

bombadillo
05-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Probably very true, but for the most part, the LEO in my area are all carrying AR-15 and had to go through some relatively decent training and qualifying with them to be able to carry. Some still roll with the 870, but the city police here in eureka are doing a good job of knowing what is what. The sheriff on the other hand is another story. They don't know apples from a hole in the ground and would pull you over and confiscate it in a heartbeat. I do carry a copy of the AR/AK in my range bag with all the letters from Sac. PD and a handful of other things in an attempt to get him/her from taking my guns right there. At least I could educate one person if nothing else. My buddy on our local police dept. calls me from time to time with questions on AR's but I still don't buy those 4 just for the simple fact that what potential confusion there could be is at the very least reduced at that point.

vg247
05-31-2009, 10:50 PM
So if some/most officers are not trained in depth about OLL's and mag locks like a bullet button...what comes up in the police system when an officer runs the serial # ?

Does it indicate whether a rifle is a registered AW as to a rifle bought post 2000 (OLL)??

I have spoken to many pro 2A lawyers who informed me that the DOJ system is full of mistakes that the registry often doesnt even have the correct serial #'s recorded in their system...example serial # is A1234, they have it as #1234 so when an officer looks it up the gun may not be registered..this is applicable of all firearms not just OLL's(hanguns, longuns,etc.)