PDA

View Full Version : moving to Cali

thedonk13
05-27-2009, 10:00 AM
I am moving to California soon, I know but it's a really great job.

Anyways, I reside in Alaska and have obtained a S&W 1911 .45, Remington 700vtr .308, and a dreaded Bushmaster ar-15 dubbed Anya.

I am unsure if Anya is an xm15 since I'm at work right now, but I did purchase it earlier this year so I don't know if they still make xm15's or not.

Back to my question. Am I going to be required to take any classes to register these or is Anya even allowed in this state. Can I mod her with a BB to make her compliant or is that sexy Cobra too much for California politicians?

thanx

Frijolito1988
05-27-2009, 10:05 AM
I am moving to California soon, I know but it's a really great job.

Anyways, I reside in Alaska and have obtained a S&W 1911 .45, Remington 700vtr .308, and a dreaded Bushmaster ar-15 dubbed Anya.

I am unsure if Anya is an xm15 since I'm at work right now, but I did purchase it earlier this year so I don't know if they still make xm15's or not.

Back to my question. Am I going to be required to take any classes to register these or is Anya even allowed in this state. Can I mod her with a BB to make her compliant or is that sexy Cobra too much for California politicians?

thanx

I belive anya is on the list. You can bring everything in exept for anya , strip her, buy a new lower ( off list lower ) and install everything on the new lower with a bullet button or go featureless.

thedonk13
05-27-2009, 10:12 AM
i hate california laws! when do we get to say discrimanation based on location! doesn't this invade my pursuit to happiness clause that so many others use to get same sex marriages!

i cant just sell Anya, she's my first AR! how do you just let something like that go!

NDFMF
05-27-2009, 10:46 AM
It seems as if there is a constituency of liberals who only believe in freedom of speech and all of your constitutional rights as they apply to the liberal agenda. If you don't think the same way they do, forget it. Same sex marriage? Well that's freedom of expression and the pursuit of happiness. Right to bear arms? No, no, guns are bad. Yeah, guns are definitely scary, yeah definitely scary and bad. Don't worry, you don't need guns. The government will protect you.

:rant:

Anyway, now that I am done ranting, I feel your pain about Anya. I'd definitely consider either buying an OLL and swapping out her lower, or finding a way to keep it out of state (family or something) until you can find a way to reunite with your baby.

dchang0
05-27-2009, 10:49 AM
You don't have to sell Anya--just remove the stripped lower and leave that with relatives outside the state. Later, when we liberate this state, you can then bring in Anya's stripped lower and rebuild her the way she was.

TZL
05-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Leave Anya with caring relatives and get another CA compliant AR

thedonk13
05-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Ok, so maybe I can part with her sweet lower half, although I do like that Cobra, but for now, it can go in pop's safe.

Can I buy her a new Off the list lower from say HSA and make her CA legal, or do you know of a better lower manufacturer?

thedonk13
05-27-2009, 10:57 AM
real quick, can I put her BM lowers guts in any differently stamped stripped lower receiver?

offrdmania
05-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Yes, you can put her lower parts kit in as long as it is not full auto.

GoingPro
05-27-2009, 11:25 AM
god these california laws give me a head ache

evan69
05-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Ok, so maybe I can part with her sweet lower half, although I do like that Cobra, but for now, it can go in pop's safe.

Can I buy her a new Off the list lower from say HSA and make her CA legal, or do you know of a better lower manufacturer?

You don't need to part with the complete lower, just strip it and buy another chunk of metal to install the parts kit in.

There are many lower manufacturers. IMO it doesn't matter much which brand you buy the stripped lower from, and price is the main object. I got a Stag Arms lower.

popeye4
05-27-2009, 11:46 AM
god these california laws give me a head ache

So that's where I get my migraines! :eek:

BTW, I just reassembled my old Bushmaster onto a Stag Arms lower with bullet button. (I don't think it really matters what lower you get as long as it is mil-spec or from a reputable brand. There are other threads around that trace each brand name receiver back to its original manufacturer, and I understand they all start from Maremont forgings.) When they passed the AW registration law back in 1999, I decided to strip out the BM lower and left it in "foster care" with a friend in Georgia. I, too, could not bear to sell it to him, but I probably should as he's had it for 10 years now and he built up a nice little M4gery with it. I had it pretty much all set up for highpower competition back then, so it is an accurate rifle. It was nice getting re-acquainted last weekend at the range.

Thanks to the efforts of Calguns in particular, we at least now have the option to go with an off list lower and bullet button (to make sure my mags require a tool to remove). We are dismantling these laws in the courts (who would have thunk that?), and though it takes time, it is very satisfying to watch.

You'll also need to equip Anya with 10 round mags.

Have you been in Alaska for long? I think you're in for some culture-shock..... :43:

ponderosa
05-27-2009, 1:23 PM
Just hope and pray that Anya is equipped with a Carbon 15 lower???

CAL.BAR
05-27-2009, 2:03 PM
You don't have to sell Anya--just remove the stripped lower and leave that with relatives outside the state. Later, when we liberate this state, you can then bring in Anya's stripped lower and rebuild her the way she was.

Don't hold your breath (it's been banned for 20 years now).

thedonk13
05-28-2009, 7:47 AM
Ok, so update for those checking it out.

I got a new lower on the way, an LAR Grizzly-15 lower, something about that sweet innocent Bear makes up a lil I guess for that evil looking Cobra. Plus, since I got a lil excited to buy stuff for Anya, I got her some new accessories to dress her up. Oh and I got her that lil Bullet Butten (Prince50) dealy to go along. I'm loving this forum, you Cal gun owners aren't all hippies who eat granola, you're like real Americans!

Pix will be up in about a week when it all arrives. Thank you all for you help.

Also, I bought a couple of ten (2)round mags (lots of reloading in my future), leaving the 30 in AK since I don't want to get caught traveling with em. How does that work, can you order 30 round mags to convert them, or have you got to sneak them in and convert them. I am not paying 35 plus for a 10/30 mag when I can get em for free from friends and mod them. Thats just nuts!

gn3hz3ku1*
05-28-2009, 8:34 AM
sell anya.. buy more handguns that are not on the "list"...

take apart your 30 rders being them with you as kids and convert them in state or you can convert them right now :)

5hundo
05-28-2009, 9:08 AM
As had been mentioned before, you need to take all your parts off the Bushmaster and get a different receiver. Once you get a stripped lower, build the rifle back up to a CA legal configuration and you're good to go...

Also, if you want to make a few bucks during your move, buy as many 1911 100% frames as you can, before you come to CA. Once you get them here, you'll have people beating down your door to get them. We cannot get them here because of the stupid "safe handgun list", so you'll be able to make a profit on them if you get them here legitimately. Once they're here, they can be transferred via private party without issues but buying new ones from FFLs is not authorized.

If you do this, you can sign me up for at least two...

a-shot
05-28-2009, 9:23 AM
i hate california laws! when do we get to say discrimanation based on location! doesn't this invade my pursuit to happiness clause that so many others use to get same sex marriages!

i cant just sell Anya, she's my first AR! how do you just let something like that go!

Welcome to California!

thedonk13
05-28-2009, 9:33 AM
Thanx for all the help people! you guys rock, shows there might be hope for California!

I will try to get some 1911 100% frames as well. Good call btw.

Would also recommend an add on to the newB OLL building list, buy a B16 BB! I purchased that P50, only to find out that it may soon get me in trouble, so now I just ordered a b16 from riflegear. Should be a blast. It's going to be a different thing loading from the top on a ar15, but lifes all about new things right!

Thanx again everyone!

AaronHorrocks
05-28-2009, 9:40 AM
You might think it's a good job, but you have to consider the high state taxes, the high sales tax, and the outrageously high housing costs. Plus insurance costs more here, along with any vehicle registration...

You'll soon find out that good job, doesn't really seem that good one you're trying to pay for everything.

Nate74
05-28-2009, 10:14 AM
sell anya.. buy more handguns that are not on the "list"...

take apart your 30 rders being them with you as kids and convert them in state or you can convert them right now :)

Yeah, be sure you understand the magazine capacity aspect of things too...

Also, I think AaronHorrocks' comments should be added to the cal.gov website' home page.:)

thedonk13
05-28-2009, 10:40 AM
you guys are 100% correct. i don't plan on staying in Cali, this is only a stepping stone to get out of Alaska. you might think it's all candy and icecream up here, but the winters get long and cold and depressing.

i've been here 5 years and it's making me grow crazier. I needed a way out, prayed, and this job showed up. i have already started making my plans to move to texas or sc when the time is right.

motorhead
05-28-2009, 11:28 AM
dude, the bullet button eliminates the need to topload. that is the point of controversy with the p50. just remove the 10 rd. mag with a TOOL.

Nullzero
05-28-2009, 12:11 PM
you guys are 100% correct. i don't plan on staying in Cali, this is only a stepping stone to get out of Alaska. you might think it's all candy and icecream up here, but the winters get long and cold and depressing.

i've been here 5 years and it's making me grow crazier. I needed a way out, prayed, and this job showed up. i have already started making my plans to move to texas or sc when the time is right.

Yeah I don't blame you. I could not tolerate a winter lasting more then 4 months. I plan to get out of CA and move to either Oregon or Florida eventually.

SickofSoCal
05-28-2009, 10:23 PM
You have made a grave error. Welcome to the People's Republic of Chin....er...I mean California.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/InvertedRedPentagram/PROC2.jpg

The most taxed state in the land. I am a 5th generation Californian. I love the state but hate the laws. Time to leave soon.

joelukehart
05-28-2009, 11:09 PM
I've heard that there are more guns per person in Alaska than in any other state. True?

SickofSoCal
05-28-2009, 11:12 PM
I've heard that there are more guns per person in Alaska than in any other state. True?

That HAS to be true! They only have 686,293 residents (2008 estimate)

And just think, L.A. County has 10 million....

csorin
05-29-2009, 3:10 PM
If gun laws are the yardstick by which you measure your quality of life, then no, California is not for you. If you plan on living a healthier, more active lifestyle, then come on down.

I moved out here from Texas. The summers are so oppressively hot, you do nothing but shelter yourself in fake indoor climates and rarely go out into the sun.

In San Diego I drive up the 101 every day to work, play soccer at lunch year round, and surf in the evenings. In the winter I can drive 2 hours and have an afternoon ski. We have deserts, mountains, lakes, and pretty much everything in between. Yes, it's more expensive, but so is the average salaried position.

As others have said, buy an OLL, install a BB, and enjoy this fine state.

SickofSoCal
05-29-2009, 6:05 PM
If gun laws are the yardstick by which you measure your quality of life, then no, California is not for you. If you plan on living a healthier, more active lifestyle, then come on down.

I moved out here from Texas. The summers are so oppressively hot, you do nothing but shelter yourself in fake indoor climates and rarely go out into the sun.

In San Diego I drive up the 101 every day to work, play soccer at lunch year round, and surf in the evenings. In the winter I can drive 2 hours and have an afternoon ski. We have deserts, mountains, lakes, and pretty much everything in between. Yes, it's more expensive, but so is the average salaried position.

As others have said, buy an OLL, install a BB, and enjoy this fine state.

It is a lot more than the gun laws, there's about ten thousands things we could cover.

Alas, I shall be sad to leave. There is so much wonderful country, and I am a native, so I should know.

IW378
05-29-2009, 6:26 PM
I as well am looking into getting out of Cali. Though the fishing is good, The seasons are good(not too extreme from one to the next) and everything you like to do outdoors hobbywise is nearby, The traffic sucks, the laws are just downright over the top ( and unconstitutional ), taxpayers money gets waisted on welfare recipients and illegals (and other non producers like the law makers), the roads suck as well. I went to Oregon last year and as soon as I got across the state line it felt like like I was driving on glass.
Think about it before you give up some of your rights. Good luck either way.
Luke

aplinker
05-29-2009, 7:54 PM
I'm a little late to the party, but I want to clear up some FUD in this thread...

1.) You don't need to top-load when using a B-16 or any other Bullet Button device. You can drop the mag using a bullet tip.
Fl2oG2QvybE
2.) The Prince50 "Bullet Button" is 100% legal. The set-screw Prince50 locking device (which pseudo-permanently locks the mag) is the one that we're steering people away from. Please get this one correct, as there is already enough confusion.
prince50:
http://www.coldwarshooters.net/images/prince50.jpg
Prince50 Bullet Button:
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/1857/pa110022600x450rl6.jpg

Pick up a few non-rostered handguns before you come... :)