PDA

View Full Version : The Arrogance of the CA Assembly

jkchan83
05-27-2009, 9:58 AM
NOTE: Sorry if this is a dupe. If it is, please post a link to the original thread to redirect visitors.

I recently e-mailed all of the members of the CA Appropriations Committee in order to urge them to oppose AB 962 (DeLeon Ammo Bill). I got the canned e-mail response that says to use the web form. Well, I have a few extra minutes today and I know how to use copy and paste, so I go to De Leon's webpage. (His was the first automated e-mail response I received.)

Per the instructions in the e-mail:
To manage the large amount of e-mails efficiently we request that you provide your comments via my public website at http://democrats.assembly.ca.gov/members/a45/ , please select the "Contact Us" tab on the right and complete the form. There is no "Contact Us" tab, but there is an "Email Assemblymember De Leon" button. Clicking that takes us to: http://legplcms01.lc.ca.gov/PublicLCMS/ContactPopup.aspx?district=AD45&

This has a form to fill out with name, address, phone, and e-mail as required fields. I filled it out, along with my message to Assemblymember De Leon to withdraw AB 962 and clicked "Submit."

I got an error message that states:
Address is not in District.
Please contact your District RepresentativeIt also prevents the message from going through.

Am I the only one who thinks it is outrageous that a CA Assemblymember will not even accept e-mails via his official state website from citizens outside his district?!

I have no problem with him putting his constituents first: that is his job. However, to completely prevent me from even contacting him seems ridiculous, especially since he is the chairman of an important committee with state-wide authority.

Now, the question comes up: do I call his office to complain to his staff? Do I take out my frustrations on low-paid peons who are stuck answering his phones? Let me know what you think.

motorhead
05-27-2009, 10:04 AM
this is sop for politicians automated e-mail systems. some even tell you in advance. there is usually an e-mail address to compose and send a scratch e-mail.

M1A Rifleman
05-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Not surprised, the legislature and government in general does not want to be contacted by the peasants - especially lib democrats. Its wasting time trying to contact them for conservative issues.

motorhead
05-27-2009, 10:49 AM
on a 1 to 1 basis (or if it's feinstein) i tend to agree but an outpouring can be another thing. the bush/kennedy amnesty fiasco went down in flames from a public outcry. the congressional switchboard crashed due to the volume of calls.