PDA

View Full Version : Evacuate your home?

MrTenX
03-31-2005, 10:37 AM
Just saw a news story of a low life with a gun barricading himself in his home/apartment and trading gunshots with the police who were attempting to serve a search warrant.

Anyway, it always seems the police will seal off the neighborhood and evacuate nearby residents and even those not in the line of fire.

These barricade situations can last a long time and it really pissed me off seeing all these people milling around, refugee's in their own neighborhood, many with kids with only the clothes on their backs and maybe a blanket.

I would rather stay put in my home.

What if you refuse to evacuate?

MrTenX
03-31-2005, 10:37 AM
Just saw a news story of a low life with a gun barricading himself in his home/apartment and trading gunshots with the police who were attempting to serve a search warrant.

Anyway, it always seems the police will seal off the neighborhood and evacuate nearby residents and even those not in the line of fire.

These barricade situations can last a long time and it really pissed me off seeing all these people milling around, refugee's in their own neighborhood, many with kids with only the clothes on their backs and maybe a blanket.

I would rather stay put in my home.

What if you refuse to evacuate?

icormba
03-31-2005, 11:04 AM
good question! does this put you in the same boat as the guy who barracaded himself in his home? at least it makes it easy for police... they can kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak.

The thing that worries me is that we never answer the door and therefore never bother to see who it is. I don't answer our home phone either. Police sirens are the norm now a days as well. I usually don't watch the local news while there's something good on Sci-Fi or the History channel so how would I know they are evacuating the neighborhood? I suppose I'd get the idea if they shutoff the power or water... but they do that in my complex almost every week.

bwiese
03-31-2005, 1:16 PM
Guess I'm done for. There's usu a pistol on the coffee table and I never answer my door because it's usually Christians trying to save my soul or Jehovah's Witnesses doing their spiel.

Actually, for typical evacuations cops are usu hustling about and I don't think they bust down doors to find people.

Bill W.
San Jose

spendbabyspend
03-31-2005, 2:30 PM
Just don't get caught peeking out your curtains. Or using the peephole. I'd think you'd be fine as long as shots don't start flying.

ivanimal
03-31-2005, 4:02 PM
Another good reason to stock up on MRE's. Could turn into Waco. Are you willing to spend 3 weeks in your appt. Then I guess you become part of the prob. A lot of times they shut off power and water to piss off the perp. could get stinky. I would rather watch from a Red Cross shelter.

Eljay
04-01-2005, 9:10 PM
There are levels of evacuations depending on the situation... usually they're voluntary as long as you aren't in anybody's way.

In terms of personal experience... I've driven home to find a cop blocking each route into an area telling people to turn around, but if you were already inside it's not like they were trying to find you if you were staying put.