PDA

View Full Version : A question for PTR 91 owners

sailor74
05-27-2009, 5:36 AM
I have a question that has probably been answered already, if so, then if someone could supply the link, that would help.

My question is this, if I have a JLD PTR 91 and replace the stock with a German made one, will this one part exchange take the rifle out of compliance with 922.

Are there enough US made parts as not to worry about it.

Thanks in advance for you help in trying to determine this.

Danny

a1fabweld
05-27-2009, 5:53 AM
I don't think you need to worry about part count being that it's a U.S. manufactured rifle to start vs. a imported rifle. I could be wrong though.

joe_sun
05-27-2009, 5:53 AM
From what I've seen is.. it depends on how it was made because different PTR rifles are made using different compliance parts.. IIRC there are 16 countable parts and you need to have 6 US made parts.

I know on mine I have the following made us parts after I put on a German forearm

receiver
Pistol Grip
Receiver
Sear
cocking handle
Barrel
stock

I've been told that PTR-91 uses a US made trunnion as well but I've not confirmed that.

joe_sun
05-27-2009, 5:55 AM
I don't think you need to worry about part count being that it's a U.S. manufactured rifle to start vs. a imported rifle. I could be wrong though.

The law is written as such an AR-15 could be considered in violation if you put enough foreign parts on it.

It's a really stupid law.

sailor74
05-27-2009, 6:15 AM
As a thought, With the US made BB installed, would that count towards bringing the US made parts back up?

It is a US made part that will be on the rifle.

Danny

djleisure
05-27-2009, 8:41 AM
As a thought, With the US made BB installed, would that count towards bringing the US made parts back up?

It is a US made part that will be on the rifle.

Danny
Nice thought, but it won't work. The problem is, with 922r it is all about the ABSENCE of foreign parts, not the PRESENCE of domestic ones. So, with the bullet button, you aren't replacing an existing foreign part, you are simply adding a US made part. You can add all the US made parts you want, but unless you are REMOVING a foreign made part, it doesn't matter. Make sense? :D

a1fabweld
05-27-2009, 12:56 PM
The law is written as such an AR-15 could be considered in violation if you put enough foreign parts on it.

It's a really stupid law.

It really is a f**king stupid law. I think that the retards who write these bills needed a few more bills to meet their quota before a deadline, so they just started making s**t up. This is one of those useless bills. I really would like to know the thinking behind this bill that makes a rifle more dangerous or whatever b.s. with foreign parts.

Lon Moer
05-27-2009, 1:06 PM
I have a question that has probably been answered already, if so, then if someone could supply the link, that would help.

My question is this, if I have a JLD PTR 91 and replace the stock with a German made one, will this one part exchange take the rifle out of compliance with 922.

Are there enough US made parts as not to worry about it.

Thanks in advance for you help in trying to determine this.

Danny
- changing the stock could take you out of compliance, you need to do the breakdown of what US parts are in your build
- why do you want to change the stock? The new black US stocks from PTR are nicer than original HK.

and here's a list for 922r (922r.com) compliance requirements.

Sicarius
05-27-2009, 2:17 PM
Yes it could take you out of compliance. One easy part to change is the bird cage flash hider that came on the gun. It is an imported part... at least on mine. It seems as though every ptr that comes out of the factory has a different amount of us parts in it. The common us parts is the receiver, barrel, trunion, stock, plastic lower/pistol grip and foregrip. To top it off the hammer is typically made by ptr as the charging handle. That leaves the muzzle attachment, bolt, carrier, mag parts(3) trigger and sear and I am not sure where the trigger housing stands. If you get a PTR 10 rounder the floorplate is PTR which leads me to believe that it is a US part which should count. Other easy things to change is the trigger and sear. You have plenty of options.
Kevin

sailor74
05-27-2009, 5:00 PM
Thanks Kevin and everyone else, I will replace a few parts, just to be sure.

To the poster above asking why I changed the stock, I just like the collapsible one, that is all.

Danny

Young Version
05-27-2009, 8:51 PM
I too have a PTR91 that I'm trying to navigate 922r with.

How is the law enforced? It seems as though certain parts are unmarked and could have been made any number of places.

Sicarius
05-27-2009, 11:16 PM
The law would be a federal thing. How somebody would know where a part is made without stamping is beyond me but I would like to side with caution. Worse case I have some spare parts. I believe all of the PTR stuff is stamped PTR... at least the lose parts. Other than what they can track back at the factory what was installed.
Kevin

joe_sun
05-28-2009, 5:45 AM
I know that my stock from the PTR-91 I got about a year ago is cheap looking and feeling shiny, hard plastic and I've been eyeballing an original HK stock for a while.