PDA

View Full Version : Gloves or No Gloves?

BunMaster
05-27-2009, 12:54 AM
Hey guys and gals. I was wondering how many calgunners shoot with gloves, and how many do not.

I'm not counting the oh so very "cold" days that we get. Just for the comfort of having gloves on while shooting at the range.

Gio
05-27-2009, 1:01 AM
I reload my own rounds but before that I have always worn gloves. Plus mine are the cool tactical Looking ones with CF Knuckles he he :D

-Gio

Technical Ted
05-27-2009, 1:01 AM
You forgot to list "sometimes" in the poll.

Sometimes I wear gloves. Sometimes I don't. It could depend on the weather. It could depend on what firearm I'm shooting. It could depend on what training "mode" I'm in. Or, it could be on a whim.

NSR500
05-27-2009, 1:04 AM
For general paper punching I was shooting without gloves. However, after suffering a bad cut on my hand from my friend's Saiga 7.62x39, I will now be shooting with gloves.
For the curious, his DPH Tri Rail came off and we tried to put it back on. Since it was a tight fit we were banging on the thing with an improvised BFH. With the rails being so sharp it cut me like a razor blade.
I will wear gloves from now on. ;)

DedEye
05-27-2009, 1:20 AM
Depends on the day and the temperature.

gcvt
05-27-2009, 1:28 AM
It depends on what I'm shooting. I do like wearing a glove when shooting a handgun. OLLs are a maybe. I do not like them when I'm plinking .22 or shooting a shotgun.

dchang0
05-27-2009, 1:37 AM
I train with and without gloves just to get used to both states. Considering that we civilians are most likely not going to have our full tac gear strapped on when the SHTF, we should be prepared to fight in flip-flops and swim trunks if need be.

Most of the time, I shoot without gloves, but we gotta get used to losing a lot of our tactile sense when we do wear gloves. Try pulling your secondary from under concealment when wearing gloves--it sucks to not be able to feel the cloth of your shirt and makes the process all that much harder. Also, stuffing big fat gloved fingers through some guns' trigger guards can be a real eye-opener as to what gear works and what doesn't.

aplinker
05-27-2009, 3:14 AM
sometimes

thefurball
05-27-2009, 5:18 AM
I don't own a pair of gloves, shooting or otherwise. I don't get cold easily and I can't properly feel what my fingers are doing with gloves on.

B Strong
05-27-2009, 5:19 AM
Gloves when shooting full magnum loads in the .44 or .500, full tilt .45 Colt rounds in my Bowen Ruger BH, or training time with pistol and rifle.

Okami
05-27-2009, 5:30 AM
+1:chris:

sometimes

glock_this
05-27-2009, 6:10 AM
not only do I often shoot with gloves, I shoot with high end full finger cycling gloves (mtn bike). yep! why? they generally have a tacky/grippy material on the pointer finger for your break levers, which is great for the trigger. They have a snot rag built in so I can whip my face/nose. they keep sweat off. I have them skin tight with no padding so I have extra dexterity. protect against any burn. keep hands warmer indoors at the chilly gun ranges.

fliparch
05-27-2009, 6:16 AM
Not yet. I haven't shot the rifle in the cold yet and I do indoor shootings with my pistols.

torsf
05-27-2009, 6:47 AM
Depends on conditions & the gun(s) I'm shooting.

In the cold, obviously yes. M38 Mosin or my AK, then yes. 91/30 Mosin's don't bother me as much, but my Mosin carbine's trigger will bite sometimes. The AK gets gloves as well because it has quite a few sharp edges.

Anything else, only if I feel like it.

Ducman
05-27-2009, 7:14 AM
sometimes

BunMaster
05-27-2009, 8:06 AM
Hm, I suppose I did leave out a very popular answer.

One more thing I should've asked is that, if you do wear gloves, which pair of gloves do you wear? (make/model)

glock_this
05-27-2009, 8:14 AM
Giro Loma... if they are good enough to keep grip while cycling, they are good enough for the grip of a weapon

grip textured finger tips - skin tight - all black - snot rag fleece - no padding
http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/37952/1h/image.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/i/j/o-trick_09giro030

Timberwolf
05-27-2009, 8:14 AM
When I'm shooting for score or seriously practicing I wear gloves - it puts a layer of leather between the hand's pulse points and the stock.

Jim_KT
05-27-2009, 8:23 AM
Yes and no?

No gloves when zeroing, confirming zero and/or shooting for groups. When I'm doing the run-n-gun thing the gloves (Nike baseball gloves lol) come on.

chsk9
05-27-2009, 9:00 AM
What's next... boxers or tighty whiteys?

stuntdummy
05-27-2009, 9:01 AM
My hands get all beat up whenever I shoot my AK without gloves. I am therefore a glove man.

Jim_KT
05-27-2009, 9:05 AM

Just wait. The next poll will be "Crumple or Fold?"

P.S. I fold. :thumbsup:

1*mike
05-27-2009, 9:28 AM
I wear nomex hatch gloves w/ my rifle, but handgun I can go either way.

foxtrotuniformlima
05-27-2009, 9:28 AM
Weak ( left ) hand only when shooting rifle or shotgun.

Wildkow
05-27-2009, 12:03 PM

You forgot "Commando Style" easier assess to your "Six-Shooter" ya know. :p

No gloves at this time but i probably will when I start getting serious about 3-Gun or something like that.

Wildkow

Sandman511
05-27-2009, 12:22 PM
I like the protective qualities of gloves (when the rifles get hot, I would have some trouble without), but I like the dexterity of an open hand.....

So I use Harbinger Fingerless (or tipless) gloves when I go out (have been using the same pair for the last 5 years with no problems)....

http://s2.thisnext.com/media/230x230/Harbinger-Fitness-Gloves-Mens_54F445F8.jpg

paintballergb
05-27-2009, 12:25 PM
I don't but shooting my stock Glock 22 without a slip on grip is sometimes difficult in the summer if my hands start to sweat. For that reason I am looking into gloves.

andrewj
05-27-2009, 12:28 PM
I dont wear gloves but Im not opposed to wearing them

Richie Caketown
05-27-2009, 12:38 PM
i use some Damascus gloves when shooting. Not because i want to be tacticool but because my hand gets irratitated by the stock pistol grip and trigger. The trigger i can work around , but no matter how many different ways i try to hold the gun the area between my thumb and point finger ends up hurting

sreiter
05-27-2009, 12:42 PM
those not using gloves, do your run full rails?

i cant imagine shooting a daniel defense type forearm with no gloves (unless you;re using magpul rubber protectors

Apollo
05-27-2009, 1:44 PM
Gloves, and boxers.

dchang0
05-27-2009, 2:01 PM
those not using gloves, do your run full rails?

i cant imagine shooting a daniel defense type forearm with no gloves (unless you;re using magpul rubber protectors

Yup, I've shot my DD Omega rail without gloves and with only the crappy ladder rail protectors they come with. Boy did that suck! #1: I got burned by the aluminum, which was getting hot from firing and from being under the sun, and #2: I got cut a bit by the bottom rail, which was not covered with the ladder rail protectors (I had just removed the Surefire M900A weaponlight per the instructor's recommendation).

The rest of that session, I shot with one glove on my support hand, and that glove got pretty beat up and burnt.

Now, I run the Magpul XTM rail covers and can shoot without gloves again.

God Bless The Mauser
05-27-2009, 2:55 PM
I wear them sometimes for precision shooting, helps keep the heartbeat off the rifle a little.

tomd1584
05-27-2009, 2:59 PM
I dont wear gloves, but when my gf is shooting shes likes to wear them...I keep a pair of mechanix gloves in my bag for her.

Jonathan Doe
05-27-2009, 3:04 PM
Have never worn gloves, hot or cold.

Technical Ted
05-27-2009, 3:06 PM
No glove. No love.

Oh wait. That's something else.

jah191
06-13-2009, 4:52 PM
Sorry to resurrect the thread but...

I was at the range shooting my Ruger Mk3 - this is the first time I've ever been shooting. Anyway I have soft office hands and just handling the gun gave me some serious chafing on my fingers and thumb. Specifically reloading the mags and hitting the bolt release/safety.

Would you recommend I get some gloves or will a few more sessions toughen up my hands so I won't have to rely on them?

kalguns
06-26-2009, 1:15 PM
No Gloves

WeekendWarrior
06-26-2009, 1:19 PM
No gloves, its usually 90* or hotter in the summer... Maybe during the winter though

ar15barrels
06-26-2009, 1:28 PM
I wear a glove on the support hand when there is any concern about the gun getting too hot to hold.
This is usually a shotgun stage over 30 rounds, or a rifle stage over 90 rounds.

http://www.bongonews.com/StoryImages/michael_jackson_glove_2005-03-30.JPG

technique
06-26-2009, 1:30 PM
Never wear gloves at the range.

Untamed1972
06-26-2009, 1:32 PM
Depends. If I'm at an all-day / multi-day class I will put them on eventually cuz a couple spots start get a little rubbed raw, primarily the side of my middle finger on my trigger hand where it rubs against the outside of the trigger guard. But I tough it out for a while to hopefully get a calous going, then go to the gloves before it totally blisters and gets raw.

It's more comfortable/natural for me to support by holding the front of mag-well vs. out on the handguard which always feels more awkwards to me. I think my wrist is a little stiff so it doesn't like to twist upside down enough to support by placing on the underside of the handguard. So i'm doing alot of shooting, especially tactical type stuff like in a class the receiver can start to get a little hot.

So my short answer is Yes & No! :)

K1LLROI
06-26-2009, 2:12 PM
Baseball gloves are the best for me..
very comfortable..
I agree they're not for everyone..
I believe they're good for extra protection.
The gloves act like extra skin incase something blows up.
Better the gloves than my hand..

stix213
06-26-2009, 2:57 PM
Maybe I should pay more attention to what other people at the range are doing... cause I never even considered wearing them.

PEBKAC
06-26-2009, 3:12 PM
I don't unless it's cold.

That being said I ~want~ to get a pair of good gloves...I've burned my fingers when trap shooting a wee bit too much for my liking.

That and standard AR-15 handguards + bright sunny day = ouch that could have been prevented with gloves. :rolleyes:

THT
06-26-2009, 3:35 PM
Usually without unless I'm shooting in the snow.

Nessal
06-26-2009, 3:48 PM
I recently got a pair of shooting gloves but havent used it at the range yet. I notice that it allows me to operate my rifle faster thaN without gloves. The extra rubber grip support really works and it allows me to pull the ch faster and whatnot. I dont lose too much "feel" with my gloves because they are thin enough. The gloves that i got are the 5.11 tac-a gloves. Highly recommended.

Gotz ammo?
06-26-2009, 3:50 PM
I use some light under armor gloves with the trigger finger cut. Maybe just for the tacticoolness, but it also helps from not getting burnt when executing the bump fire.

Nessal
06-26-2009, 4:00 PM
Good pair.

http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/yhst-59525373201481_2058_1241408483

http://http://www.kmnw.co.uk/images/511/TAC-A-Glove.jpg

Clark_Kent_X
06-26-2009, 4:18 PM
train like you would in the real world

Desert_Rat
06-26-2009, 4:45 PM
No gloves for me,I tried mittens and could not manipulate the trigger very well.

Clark_Kent_X
06-26-2009, 4:57 PM
train like you would in the real world

i personally wear gloves, but thats cuz my hands sweat like my nuts on a hot summer day

Sig357
06-26-2009, 6:13 PM
I will occasionally wear gloves. It depends on the weather. If it's extremely cold or hot, yes. If the day is nice, I don't wear them.

Sleepnosis
06-26-2009, 6:36 PM
Burn a digit,

Slice a joint,

See how quickly your shooting skills degrade with a hand injury.
Shooting with bleeding or cut up fingers sucks.

Protect your hands, always.

socomIInato
06-26-2009, 6:44 PM
no gloves hot or cold. i mean mojave hot :reddevil:and cold:santa:

ar15barrels
06-26-2009, 7:35 PM
Burn a digit,

Slice a joint,

See how quickly your shooting skills degrade with a hand injury.
Shooting with bleeding or cut up fingers sucks.

Protect your hands, always.

Exactly.
I got rope burn on my support hand coming down a slide at Ironman.
I split my loading thumb while loading the benelli.

The gloves would have helped with the rope, but there's no room for gloves when you are manipulating a handfull of shells into the loading port.
That's why I only wear a support hand glove, not a gun hand glove.

popeye4
06-26-2009, 7:44 PM
I'm usually practicing for highpower, so I shoot with a glove in standing and a mitt in sitting and prone (on the left hand, of course, nothing on the trigger hand).

Jim_KT
06-26-2009, 7:49 PM
I used to think that gloves were a gimmick for most activities - a way to make money. I quickly realized that most sports/activities in which a manufacturer makes a glove for there is a true need for them.

Mountain biking, baseball, shooting, paintball and even Moon Walking just to name a few.

J_Rock
06-26-2009, 10:08 PM
I prefer no gloves or really thin aviator nomex gloves with the top of the trigger finger cut off so I can feel the trigger better. Anything thick or made out of leather is a no go for me.

hkdad
06-26-2009, 10:40 PM
i personally wear gloves, but thats cuz my hands sweat like my nuts on a hot summer day

i never wore gloves while shooting, since we are both on the same boat (my hands sweat like a mofo) i'll consider buying a pair to try it out. :thumbsup:

AlliedArmory
06-27-2009, 1:07 AM
i used to shoot without gloves. i just bought some and plan on using them at the range sunday!

taloft
06-27-2009, 3:29 AM
Usually when I'm hunting but, seldom at the range.

Bobula
06-27-2009, 4:01 AM
Train as you do. Do as you train.

Pvt. Cowboy
06-27-2009, 9:45 AM
In favor of gloves here. I just use some Nike baseball gloves I bought at Big5.

If you aren't shooting nicely furnished traditional rifles made of polished wood and no sharp edges or pointy bits, you're likely to tear up your paws. Fact is that dolled-up military style guns can be pretty rough on the hands in one way or another.

Clark_Kent_X
06-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Exactly.
I got rope burn on my support hand coming down a slide at Ironman.
I split my loading thumb while loading the benelli.

The gloves would have helped with the rope, but there's no room for gloves when you are manipulating a handfull of shells into the loading port.
That's why I only wear a support hand glove, not a gun hand glove.

if you have that much trouble with handling shells. then protect both hands and cut half the finger off the index and thumb

FeuerFrei
06-27-2009, 3:36 PM
I only use them when firing one of my semi-auto center fire rifles or shotgun.
Lots of rounds will heat up barrels and somebody can get scorched.
The term "accidental branding" comes to mind...ouch!

Jpach
06-27-2009, 3:49 PM
No glove, No love;) I actually prefer no glove. And I mean that in every way possible. Perhaps I will put them on some day...

dchang0
06-28-2009, 12:29 AM
In favor of gloves here. I just use some Nike baseball gloves I bought at Big5.

If you aren't shooting nicely furnished traditional rifles made of polished wood and no sharp edges or pointy bits, you're likely to tear up your paws. Fact is that dolled-up military style guns can be pretty rough on the hands in one way or another.

Most of the new, "plasticky" guns, esp. the PS90, FS2000, and the SCAR, are actually fairly snag-free. It's just the rails that are sharp/jagged on those guns. Next thing you know, Larue will be shipping a tiny bottle of baby oil instead of machine gun oil with all orders.