PDA

View Full Version : Know your rights and the law

E Pluribus Unum
05-27-2009, 1:11 AM
Many times people would rather leave their guns at home than risk having them with them. I choose to carry at least one rifle with me in my truck. Today it happened to be the OLL.

There is a 1 square mile section of BLM land surrounded by private land only about 5 miles outside Bakersfield. It is accessible via public paved road so it cannot be landlocked. There is an oil and gas lease issued to Chevron by the BLM AND they own the private land around the BLM land. Chevron has come in and put their buildings and their oilwells on this land it is literally indistinguishable just where the BLM land begins and the private land ends.

[technical jargon-skip if not interested]
I went down to the BLM and purchased an $8 map. Using the map I was able to calculate the exact GPS coordinates of the 4 corners of this land. I also have a GPS mapping software on the laptop and a GPS tracker in my vehicle. Using the mapping software, I was able to scan a copy of the BLM land and use it as an overlay for this ham radio mapping software. This way, as I drive with my vehicle, instead of showing a traditional map, it shows the BLM map and super-imposes my vehicle's blip on the BLM map.

[/technical jargon]

So, now I have a real time graphical representation of my vehicle and how it relates to the BLM land, accurate to within 15 feet. I decided to go out and site in my OLL today. As soon as I pull up I get a Chevron truck right behind me and the following conversation ensues:

Chevron: May I help you?
Me: No sir, I'm fine
Chevron: What are you doing here?
Me: I am about to sight in my rifle.
Chevron: We can't be having that.
Me: Why not?
Chevron: This is private property, you are not allowed to be here.
Me: You are mistaken, this is BLM land and you have an oil and gas lease. As long as I stay 50 feet away from your buildings and equipment I can hunt and shoot here as I please.
Chevron: This is private land, I have seen the plot map myself.
Me: Chevron owns the land around the BLM plot but the stake over there (points) marks the North East corner of a 1 square mile section of BLM land. I have the map right here. That blip is our current location, as long as my blip stays within the yellow, I am on BLM land. I've already cleared it with the local BLM office on Pegasys; I can give you their number if you like.
Chevron: That wont be necessary. Be safe and please don't shoot our equipment.
Me: Of course not, thank you.

The guy was never rude, he was just mistaken. We were both cordial. I got to sight in my rifle without any harassment and it went well; only because I did the research beforehand and knew my rights.

If more people would do this, we would have more freedom. We need to flex our freedom lest it become atrophied.

Gio
05-27-2009, 1:58 AM
Nice! I wish there was more BLM Land around this area ;)

-Gio

pullnshoot25
05-27-2009, 2:10 AM
WIN! Right on, I love it!

Texas Boy
05-27-2009, 2:14 AM
Nicely done. So please tell, how did you learn that there was a patch of BLM land there?

gcvt
05-27-2009, 2:18 AM
You did your research, had the right maps/equipment, consulted the correct authorities, and handled yourself like a gentleman. And, you got to sight in your rifle without any problems.

For that, you get a big :thumbsup:

nick
05-27-2009, 2:20 AM
Nicely done. So please tell, how did you learn that there was a patch of BLM land there?

He mentioned buying a treasure map for $8 :)

E Pluribus Unum
05-27-2009, 3:02 AM

There are maps available for every area containing BLM land. If you have an approximate township/range for the area you want to check, you take that T/R info to the local BLM office. They will sell you a map of the area for $8.00.

BLM maps are color coded, white is private property; yellow is BLM, green is US Forest, blue is restricted US Government property.

It looks like this:

http://www.chrisronk.net/pete/blmpete.jpg

You simply get a map for a certain area... and in all 4 corners of the map, and in the middle, they list the longitude and latitude. Because each square is 1 square mile, one can then calculate the GPS grid coordinates of any of the squares.

motorhead
05-27-2009, 10:43 AM
what do you want to bet he tries the private property thing on the next visitor anyway.

Soldier415
05-27-2009, 10:53 AM
what do you want to bet he tries the private property thing on the next visitor anyway.
Of course he will.

So which calgunner is going to go there next? :D

Ducman
05-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Dude, You lost me at [/technical jargon] :p

motorhead
05-27-2009, 11:30 AM
group shoot?

MrClamperSir
05-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Happy to hear your story.

West coast
05-27-2009, 10:59 PM
WOW!!!!! Nice going..

GoodEyeSniper
05-27-2009, 11:04 PM
My "local BLM office" is a 4.5 hr round trip away.... Awesome.

Though the site says I can order maps online, gonna have to check that out.

Sam
05-28-2009, 12:11 AM
that's pretty awesome!

MT1
05-28-2009, 12:44 AM

Of course he knew the real story, it was simply a bluff that most people would have taken as truth then turn around to leave. If I had expensive equipment out there I wouldn't want any idiot joe hanging around, especially not shooting in the area. SOP I'm sure is to try and get people to leave.

Silverback
05-28-2009, 10:43 AM
http://www.chrisronk.net/pete/blmpete.jpg[/url]

Ah! Brecken Ridge - Walker Basin area. I spent a lot of time there as a teenager. That was too long ago.