PDA

View Full Version : LEO's &Automatic knives

pulserifle99
05-26-2009, 11:00 PM
I am an LEO in the state of Ca and i was wondering if i am allowed to purchase an auto knife?

.45shooter
05-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Yes you can

pulserifle99
05-26-2009, 11:54 PM
how would i go about ordering one? Im sure ill have to show my ID

biglou
05-27-2009, 7:17 AM
You fax or scan and e-mail a copy of your ID. There is a thread on here with LEO discount vendors. One of them may have auto knives. I usually just ask a co-worker.

Unit74
05-27-2009, 8:38 AM
Last time I was at Camp Pendleton training, they had them for sale in the PX. These were SOG knives. Pretty decent looking too.

My guess is head to an installation and see what they have. You have NAS near you right?

ke6guj
05-27-2009, 8:43 AM
Yes you can

Yes, LEOs do buy automatic knives, but where is the LEO exemption to 653k? Are they actually exempt, or is it a brass pass sort of deal?

I know there is a federal exemption for LEOs to purchase autos in interstate commerce, but CA law can be more strict.

Tallship
05-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Would probably fall under 12002(a) if the department had no ban against it.

ke6guj
05-27-2009, 11:47 AM
how would a 12020(b) exemption from 12020(a) exempt an LEO from 653k, when the two sections do not appear to be related?

653k. Every person who possesses in the passenger's or driver's area of any motor vehicle in any public place or place open to the public, carries upon his or her person, and every person who sells, offers for sale, exposes for sale, loans, transfers, or gives to any other person a switchblade knife having a blade two or more inches in length is guilty of a misdemeanor.
For the purposes of this section, "switchblade knife" means a knife having the appearance of a pocketknife, and includes a spring-blade knife, snap-blade knife, gravity knife or any other similar type knife, the blade or blades of which are two or more inches in length and which can be released automatically by a flick of a button, pressure on the handle, flip of the wrist or other mechanical device, or is released by the weight of the blade or by any type of mechanism whatsoever. "Switchblade knife" does not include a knife that opens with one hand utilizing thumb pressure applied solely to the blade of the knife or a thumb stud attached to the blade, provided that the knife has a detent or other mechanism that provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade, or that biases the blade back toward its closed position.
For purposes of this section, "passenger's or driver's area" means that part of a motor vehicle which is designed to carry the driver and passengers, including any interior compartment or space therein.

Ron-Solo
05-27-2009, 1:45 PM
I'll just keep my Spyderco and avoid the hassles.

I'm not usually allowed to play with sharp objects anyway.

:D

wht91123
05-27-2009, 2:14 PM
Galls.com

eltee
05-27-2009, 2:38 PM
You can buy them, but my dept. made a big to-do over them. First, a buddy of mine was showing off one of the high-end autos we had both bought. My buddy was telling another cop how much it costs. Some liberal minded sergeant came up and declared, "It might cost you a lot more if you don't put that illegal knife away."

Some months later my dept. came out with a written policy, we could only carry knives that a civilian can carry and apparently the attorney(s) for the dept. confirmed that there was no LEO exemption for switchblades.

I wouldn't carry any of my expensive auto knives at work anyway. It could be chewed up from daily use, lost, stolen, etc. plus if in that one in a million chance I had to use it as a weapon...I'd be tap dancing on the head of a pin as to why I violated the law and dept. policy by carrying one.

Anyway, I know of no statute or case law the exempts an LEO from the auto knife prohibitions. You can buy them, that doesn't make it legal to carry one although one might argue qualified immunity, government immunity, etc. if by chance your dept. issued you one or your policies authorized them.

scr83jp
05-27-2009, 4:13 PM
You can buy them, but my dept. made a big to-do over them. First, a buddy of mine was showing off one of the high-end autos we had both bought. My buddy was telling another cop how much it costs. Some liberal minded sergeant came up and declared, "It might cost you a lot more if you don't put that illegal knife away."

Some months later my dept. came out with a written policy, we could only carry knives that a civilian can carry and apparently the attorney(s) for the dept. confirmed that there was no LEO exemption for switchblades.

I wouldn't carry any of my expensive auto knives at work anyway. It could be chewed up from daily use, lost, stolen, etc. plus if in that one in a million chance I had to use it as a weapon...I'd be tap dancing on the head of a pin as to why I violated the law and dept. policy by carrying one.

Anyway, I know of no statute or case law the exempts an LEO from the auto knife prohibitions. You can buy them, that doesn't make it legal to carry one although one might argue qualified immunity, government immunity, etc. if by chance your dept. issued you one or your policies authorized them. I caught lots of juvis carrying double edged daggers that their parents bought for them & when I seized it I got flack.My usual response was to ask if they all wanted to get arrested for possession of an illegal weapon.

scootergmc
05-27-2009, 9:48 PM
There is no exemption.

fullrearview
05-28-2009, 4:30 PM

Thats why I have a cheap big 5 knife that I don't mind being used for anything(including corner duties..:eek:)

Don't have an auto yet, but will carry 2 knifes, just as I carry about 2 of everything.

bohoki
05-28-2009, 5:17 PM
with todays technology of the assisted openers with the little blade nub you can press on the back and open it just like a switcher but without the bad press

oR9Ouiz4iwQ

rmasold
05-28-2009, 9:15 PM
Give us a try.:thumbsup:

Spyder
05-29-2009, 8:12 PM
There is NO exemption to 653 or 12020. All ya gotta do is read them to see that. I haven't ever heard of any LEO getting popped for having one, and damned near all the LEO's I know carry them, but that doesn't make it legal.

BigDogatPlay
05-30-2009, 8:41 AM
This is another case of "the exemption that isn't".

No one, outside of a whiney administrator who will write policy to ban them, is really going to care. But I do have to agree that an assisted opening knife is just as handy and avoids any and all drama. I've carried a Kershaw Blur every day for the last few years and had another (now lost) assisted before that. And I always kept a cheapo folder in my bag, still have one in the center console of my truck to this day.

DriftinG Z32
05-31-2009, 9:19 AM
There is NO exemption to 653 or 12020. All ya gotta do is read them to see that. I haven't ever heard of any LEO getting popped for having one, and damned near all the LEO's I know carry them, but that doesn't make it legal.

Sounds like case law waiting to happen...

Deamer
06-10-2009, 8:47 PM
I caught lots of juvis carrying double edged daggers that their parents bought for them & when I seized it I got flack.My usual response was to ask if they all wanted to get arrested for possession of an illegal weapon.

From reading 653 and 12020 I cannot find anything saying double edge knives are illegal unless they are concealed or are on school grounds. Was that the case in your seizures? Or can you show me where it says they are illegal. I own a couple double edged knives that were bought in CA.

I bought the SOG Tac Auto a few months ago on the base but then found out CA doesn't have a LE/Mil exemption. :(

El Gato
06-10-2009, 9:11 PM
From reading 653 and 12020 I cannot find anything saying double edge knives are illegal unless they are concealed or are on school grounds. Was that the case in your seizures? Or can you show me where it says they are illegal. I own a couple double edged knives that were bought in CA.

I bought the SOG Tac Auto a few months ago on the base but then found out CA doesn't have a LE/Mil exemption. :(

Carrying a double edged knife USED to be a per se felony...if I remember correctly

now under 12020 we have a more sane law....
concealed and open for ready use as a stabbing weapons includes all of the screwdrivers to buck knives crowd... if carried illegally....I've arrested for a myriad of issues...including concealing a 6 in hunting knife...now I don't have to prove it is a double edged weapon... just that it was concealed....qed

Rcas
08-02-2009, 9:33 AM
Little bit of a necro post but does this apply to military as well? I've bought a few online after emailing a copy of my Military ID. I was always under the impression that military can carry them as long as they either have their ID on them or are in Uniform with ID but I was never sure which was correct. Now I'm not sure either are correct :). Can anyone give some insight?

MarineJohn
08-02-2009, 11:30 AM
If you live in the Fresno area, There is a shop called Fresno Firearms on Blackstone Ave that carries them and I also believe Adamsons carries them in Hayward.
Stay safe,
John

veeklog
08-02-2009, 12:48 PM
I love the automatic openers, but because of the cost and nature of the work, I still carry my Cold Steel half sarreated Tanto blade clipped to my rear pocket. I have a cheapie Gerber in my raid vest, plus a Leatrherman for those special uses.