PDA

View Full Version : California C&R weirdness

TonyNorCal
05-17-2005, 1:48 PM
I just got my C&R (primarily to take advantage of the stupendous deals you can get from internet)...

But, aside from that, there seems to be some extraordinary weirdness...

So let me get this straight...

Living in CA one does not even need a C&R to purchase a 50 year old rifle from another local private party. I can hand non C&R havin' Joe Blow just such a rifle behind the local 7/11 and it's all legit.

However, if I want to buy that exact same rifle from a local shop I need to belch up not only a C&R, but also a certificate of eligibility? And, I get the priviledge of paying tax.

hmmmm

imported_Telpierion
05-17-2005, 2:05 PM
You would need the 7/11 owners permission but other than that you are correct. Keep in mind you can always just wait the ten days.

BigAL
05-17-2005, 3:03 PM
The C&R FFL discount from Brownells and midway totally make it worth it. I'm surprised more people don't take advantage.

Blue
05-17-2005, 4:55 PM
How much of a discount does Midway give you?

BigAL
05-17-2005, 7:00 PM
Originally posted by Blue84s10:
How much of a discount does Midway give you?

Basically, what you do is get a regular account started on Midway. Then once you get your C&R license, you mail a signed copy to Midway and say you want your online account changed to "Dealer" status, at which point you now get the discounted dealer pricing.
Every item has a different discount, which depends on how much Midway gets charged to purchase it. For instance, a Surefire flashlight has no discount because Surefire requires all authorized dealers sell at the same price. Now say I wanted SIG P228 hicap mags. Retail for the MecGar mags is $28.59, dealer cost is $16.55, a considerable savings. I pay $14.10 for Glock factory hi-caps, about 5 bucks cheaper than any other on-line retailer.

The bottom line is the C&R costs $30 and you will most likely save this ammount through Midway and Brownells in just the first purchase.

bu-bye
05-17-2005, 9:08 PM
C&R license

Forgive me, what is C&R?

jmlivingston
05-17-2005, 9:19 PM
It's a Federal Firearms License (FFL) granted specifically for purchasing firearms that the BATF define as Curio and Relics.

These can be either short- or long- guns and are most commonly military surplus such as the Mosin-Nagant mentioned previously, the Springfield 1903 series, most SKS's, etc. There's also an age component, I think anything that can be documented as being older than 50 years is also a C&R as well as certain special edition firearms.

John

bu-bye
05-18-2005, 12:09 AM
Wow I'd love to get my hands on a WWII Garand, How do I get this license?

bu-bye
05-18-2005, 12:17 AM
Oh and I also really want a Springfield 1903. Where would a license holder go online to get these great deals?

TonyNorCal
05-18-2005, 12:38 AM
Call your local ATF and ask. They send you an application...you can also call a national number...but I just opened the phone book and called the local branch. It's fairly simple and straightforward. You send it in with $30 (which covers you for 3 years). My application took about 2 months to arrive (some seem to get it faster...I suppose it depends on the mood of whoever is processing it and other government voodoo).

The C&R license will allow you to purchase C&R long guns from out of state and have them shipped here...to your home...no DROS required. C&R long guns are defined as being over 50 years old...so Garands and 1903 definitely qualify. In free states you can have C&R handguns shipped...but here in CA that's not the case...but if you're in a free state I believe you can buy one and bring it in (provided you register it within 5 days).

$30 should pay for itself with your first purchase. For example...I am thinking of getting a Russian SKS (1954) from a private party out of state. With the C&R he can simply send to me. Without I'd have to pay DROS and a transfer fee. I'd also have to wait 10 days.

By the way, for a Garand check out Civilian Marksmanship Program http://www.odcmp.com/ it's an outlet that sells surplus. They don't require a C&R but they do have other requirements (listed on their site).

SI-guru
05-18-2005, 1:04 AM
Does that mean in about 10 years, M16 will be C&R in California ? Or is it still ban ?
I am "curious". http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

happylegomena@yahoo.com
05-18-2005, 5:21 AM
Bu-bye:

Go to www.odcmp.com (http://www.odcmp.com) and look under rifle sales to get your 1903s and M1 Garands cheap, without a C&R license, and delivered FedEx right to your door! This may sound like a spam ad, but it's the God honest truth!

imported_Telpierion
05-18-2005, 5:36 AM
C&R long guns are defined as being over 50 years old

There are some less than 50 years old that are on the list as C&R but, in CA they need to be 50 years old or they need to go through a CA 01 FFL. You could skip the waiting period on it if you also had a COE though.

Turbinator
05-18-2005, 6:15 AM
Does someone maintain a list of C&R eligible rifles somewhere? Might be nice to reference. Just curious. I guess I could do a Google search, but I'm wondering if someone already knows of such a list.

Turby

imported_EOD Guy
05-18-2005, 6:25 AM
Originally posted by Turbinator:
Does someone maintain a list of C&R eligible rifles somewhere? Might be nice to reference. Just curious. I guess I could do a Google search, but I'm wondering if someone already knows of such a list.

Turby

See the link.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/curios/index.htm

timmy8151
05-18-2005, 7:08 AM
Originally posted by bu-bye:
Wow I'd love to get my hands on a WWII Garand, How do I get this license?

For the Garand and 03 go through CMP. That's where I got my M1 and 03A3.

This site has all the info: http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/eligibility_requirements.htm

qualityrockola
05-18-2005, 7:46 AM
I know im just gonna be stiring up a hornets nest here, but here goes... http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ACTUALLY, the myth that a firearm has to be over 50 yrs old to be received by a C&R holder from an out of state purchase has no founding. Now this is all heresay, so you can believe what you want, but the reason we cant receive firearms from out of state that arent 50yrs old is the fault of the distributors. There is NO provision that the 50 year rule applies to C&R interstate purchases. The CA DOJ admitted this. There are a few distributors that will cater to Californians. Interordnance, classic arms, and a few others will happily ship you a nice yugo (without launcher) SKS, right to your Californian doorstep. Section 12078 (t) subsection (2) doesnt have any bearing on collecors and what they can and cannot do.

Alright...let the correcting begin!