PDA

View Full Version : Question about .22lr

Centurion_D
05-26-2009, 9:30 PM
I'm about to purchase a aftermarket barrel for my 10/22 and the barrel has a threaded end to accommodate a compensator. Is this legal in the PRK? Don't want to get myself into hot water.

Timberwolf
05-26-2009, 9:33 PM
IIRC yes a muzle brake is OK but that begs the question why would you put a muzzle brake on a 22LR? If you're that recoil sensitive maybe you should consider another pastime.

Centurion_D
05-26-2009, 9:36 PM
IIRC yes a muzle brake is OK but that begs the question why would you put a muzzle brake on a 22LR? If you're that recoil sensitive maybe you should consider another pastime.

Oh it has nothing to do with recoil. The compensator I want to slap on the barrel just gives it a cool looking factor.

Timberwolf
05-26-2009, 9:39 PM
Ahhh its only cool to kids and gunbunnies - shooters will just think you're a wannabe.

Centurion_D
05-26-2009, 9:44 PM
Ohhh C'mon...don't you just wanna have that one ultra cool tactical up the ying yang gun just for showing off to all the ladies ;)

tonelar
05-27-2009, 12:06 AM
sure, but in a .22?
I'd bust out the Thompson kitted 10/22

DedEye
05-27-2009, 12:48 AM
If it's a rifle, then a threaded barrel is good to go.

In other words: you're fine.

motorhead
05-27-2009, 9:46 AM
don't forget to add a bunch of rails and scopes and flashlights and maybe a sattelite dish. or a fake can.

paintballergb
05-27-2009, 10:23 AM
It's your money and your rifle, add whatever the hell you want.

ChuckBooty
05-27-2009, 10:29 AM
What's the difference in putting a muzzle break on a 10/22 and the Thompson "Fun Gun" kit? Or a WASR-22 for that matter...22LR is 22LR

MasterYong
05-27-2009, 10:51 AM
You guys need to get over yourselves. Stop patronizing someone because they want a cool-looking gun. You're telling me that there is no cool factor whatsoever in your favorite car? Your favorite clothes? Your favorite sunglasses? C'mon, folks- wanting a cool-looking gun isn't any more laughable than having anything else that looks cool. If it makes someone happy, why make fun of them?

I have a Walther G22, and I have a blast with it. Sure, it's not the most accurate semi-auto .22LR in the world, a Ruger 10/22 would certainly beat it in paper-punching, but who cares? I have a lot of fun with that little rifle, and it gets a lot of looks at the range which I consider a +1. I like conversation pieces, and my G22 is great for stating conversations. I've met a lot of neat people because of that rifle, most even think it's illegal and I have to explain to them why it isn't!

Why is it that some folks get so much joy from hoping online and belittling other people's hobbies? Let him have his tacticool .22LR if he wants it!

Mulay El Raisuli
05-28-2009, 6:50 AM
sure, but in a .22?

Why not a .22? If cool is the goal (as opposed to actual utility) then it may as well be cheap to play with. I myself always favored the looks of the MG-42 'cool kit' for the Ruger. Hasn't been around lately though.

The Raisuli

pullnshoot25
05-28-2009, 7:04 AM
sure, but in a .22?

I will tell you why a rifle in .22 is cool.

1) I can shoot really quiet loads and take out stupid animals with minimal fanfare.

2) I can shoot really fast loads and kill the same stupid animals at a pretty good distance.

3) I can shoot middle-of-the-way loads (think like Buddha) and accomplish both 1 and 2 effectively.

4) I can plink all day without my wallet looking like Janet Reno's face.

5) I can carry a lot of ammunition without weighing myself down.

6) It is cool to have a cool gun to teach people how to shoot.

Need I go on?

r08ert209cali
05-28-2009, 7:47 AM
It would also improve your ability to watch things get hit through your scope thats always a plus.

Timberwolf
05-28-2009, 7:52 AM
It would also improve your ability to watch things get hit through your scope thats always a plus.

LOL - this mught be an argument to brake a centerfire rifle but if you can't stay in your scope through recoil with a 22LR without a brake you really need to consider a different hobby.

sargenv
05-28-2009, 8:12 AM
Oddly enough, some of the best shooters I know have brakes on their 22's. It must do something, but then when you are near the top of your game, why not take every advantage you can get. Whether you think it works or not is a moot point, they seem to think it helps them win.. and win they do.. At the steel challenge, at the 22 rimfire match down in Morro bay, at the Sportsmen team challenge.. etc. If you have the thought in your head that it helps.. well, maybe it does. It's not always about recoil.. sometimes it's about staying on target, the faster you can make a follow up shot, the faster your overall time is going to be and this is where .01 second counts.. and sometimes makes the diference between first and second.

If you can plink away with your stock 10/22 and be happy, then that's good too.. I know I can. :)

Centurion_D
05-28-2009, 2:44 PM
Well I already ordered all the after market parts to dress up my 10/22. I'll take some pics when my project is finished.

CnCFunFactory
05-28-2009, 3:31 PM
Well I already ordered all the after market parts to dress up my 10/22. I'll take some pics when my project is finished.

I for one would like to see it. I like all things that go bang regardless of caliber.

Centurion_D
06-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Well I finally finished dressing up my 10/22 and I posted pics in the rimfire category.. here is the thread. Check it out. :thumbsup:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=189832