PDA

View Full Version : 2000 rounds / gun parts found in dumpster (8 uppers)

sreiter
05-26-2009, 10:15 PM
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/blotter/entries/2009/05/26/gun_parts_2000_rifle_rounds_fo.html

Gun parts, 2,000 rifle rounds found in Dumpster

By Patrick George | Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 05:59 PM

Assorted gun parts and about 2,000 rifle rounds were discovered in a Dumpster near a North Austin apartment complex this afternoon.

Agent Francesca Perot of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms said the Austin Police Department contacted the agency after a man found the parts in a Dumpster on Swanee Drive, near Airport and Lamar boulevards. The parts were eight upper receivers for an AR-15 rifle worth about $500 each, Perot said.

The items have been recovered, and the ATF is investigating.

“We don’t understand why someone threw them away, unless they were involved in some type of criminal activity,” Perot said. “Ammunition is very expensive right now.”

cmace22
05-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Sounds like the wife found the credit card bill!

Arteel
05-26-2009, 10:17 PM
^^ LOL!

Texas Boy
05-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Wow! I used to live in that area. Unfortunately I never found even one AR upper in a dumpster. Dang! Guess I should start doin' the dumpster dive!:eek:

sreiter
05-26-2009, 10:18 PM

lolo

tyrist
05-26-2009, 10:28 PM
I sense a divorce..it's common.

I remember a case where a women threw about 50 firearms into a dumpster because she was upset at her husband. These were fully functional intact weapons....she was an idiot I can see why he was leaving her.

SJgunguy24
05-26-2009, 10:32 PM

Next day........Womans body found.........bludgeoned to death......do to lack of ammo:43::eek:

sreiter
05-26-2009, 10:41 PM
i wonder if the finder gets to keep the stuff if it comes back as "not used in a crime", and no one claims it.....like if you find something on a bus

grunz
05-26-2009, 10:44 PM
ohhhh THATS where I left them :)

God Bless The Mauser
05-26-2009, 10:48 PM
That would be a nice find.

operationblackwater
05-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Don't let your kids take out the trash, I wanna see the guys face after he finds out it was his stuff!:ack2::ack2:

Cal-Irish
05-26-2009, 10:52 PM
I need 2k rounds

mvpatriot
05-26-2009, 10:59 PM
wow, why cant I be so lucky....

Hoop
05-26-2009, 11:01 PM
5$ says angry wife

X-NewYawker
05-26-2009, 11:04 PM
"Honey? have you seen my uppers and my ammo?"

trinydex
05-26-2009, 11:05 PM
wow, why cant I be so lucky....

because i want to be that lucky more...

gravedigger
05-26-2009, 11:08 PM
If I ever found that in a dumpster, the cops would be the LAST people to ever find out about it. What kind of BUFFOON was this guy anyway?

Bagelthief
05-26-2009, 11:20 PM
yea, its not like that stuff can be traced. if you put all those uppers on lowers, if LEO ever needed to run the serial on your gun; wouldnt they just use the serial on the lowers?

trinydex
05-26-2009, 11:33 PM
sounds like it they let it be finder's keepers

missiontrails
05-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Uppers = untraceable (for the most part). If I find those in a dumpster while I am diving for cans, I'm NOT reporting it. Finders keepers.

sreiter
05-27-2009, 7:55 AM
finders/keepers??????

untraceable ????

um, you guys know about ballistic markings?

if your weapon that a found lower is on is stole or even used in a righteous shooting, they'll do a ballistic match for rifling matches, so you better change barrels - extractors/bolts leave finger prints on cases. better change the BCG too

NSR500
05-27-2009, 8:12 AM
DIVORCE!!!

Looks like someone cheated on his wife!

Dirtbiker
05-27-2009, 8:40 AM
That was one really pissed off wife.

I doubt these were used in a crime, why throw away 8? Why throw away new ammo?

I'll bet that was one hell of a fight.

ROCKETW19
05-27-2009, 9:51 AM
WOW I sure as hell wouldnt keep the uppers maybe take the rails but what if one of thoes were used to shoot someone it would cost way to much cash for a lawyer. It would be cheaper to just buy the uppers. The ammo ya I would keep that.\
After saying all that I think you guys are right someone pissed off their wife uppers are probably clean.

foxtrotuniformlima
05-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Sounds more like a guy needed to hide them from his wife and, in a panic, stashed them in a very bad place.

operationblackwater
05-27-2009, 10:40 AM
If the police has them, all the guy has to do is show them proof that it was his property and he can get them back!

evan69
05-27-2009, 10:55 AM
If I had found them, I would have reported it too, but the article would have read 1000 rounds and 6 uppers :D

Sandman511
05-27-2009, 10:59 AM

Yeah.... sounds about right. Something my girl would do.

reidnez
05-27-2009, 10:59 AM
finders/keepers??????

untraceable ????

if your weapon that a found lower is on is stole or even used in a righteous shooting, they'll do a ballistic match for rifling matches, so you better change barrels - extractors/bolts leave finger prints on cases. better change the BCG too

Ballistic fingerprinting, as it is portrayed in fictional AND news media, is a total myth. Bullets are severely deformed on impact, by design. Even if you recover perfectly intact bullets with perfectly intact rifling marks, those marks change subtly with every shot.

But don't take it from me. Listen to police forensic scientists:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAlixegkf0o

And in any case, an upper receiver is not a gun. It is a gun part, just as a handguard or a sling swivel is a gun part. Lowers and complete weapons are what can get you into trouble, not parts (the primary exception, of course, being NFA items.)

NSR500
05-27-2009, 11:00 AM
If I had found them, I would have reported it too, but the article would have read 1000 rounds and 6 uppers :D

If I had found them all of it would be on the Gunbroker right now.
I need to raise some SCAR money! :thumbsup:

coop44
05-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Sreiter looks like you spend a lot of time watching CSI, sent you a pm, rifling changes with wear, bcgs can get swapped, people buy sell trade used barrels and bcg's all the time, It aint like you see on tv. Labs don't have the time to go on fishing expeditions.

DisgruntledReaper
05-28-2009, 3:15 PM
:innocent:'uppers and ammo?!....really!?..... naw all I found was a bag of straws and a box of BB's.......'

...phone call to .....:party::party:

dawson8r
05-28-2009, 11:19 PM
So if BIG BROTHER comes knocking on your door to take away your guns ust say you threw them away. It's not like it never happens!

low94noma
05-28-2009, 11:59 PM
Ballistic fingerprinting, as it is portrayed in fictional AND news media, is a total myth. Bullets are severely deformed on impact, by design. Even if you recover perfectly intact bullets with perfectly intact rifling marks, those marks change subtly with every shot.

And in any case, an upper receiver is not a gun. It is a gun part, just as a handguard or a sling swivel is a gun part. Lowers and complete weapons are what can get you into trouble, not parts (the primary exception, of course, being NFA items.)
I would usually be worried about the markings on your shell casings getting cycled out of the upper. But like someone said before, those parts are universal and can be swapped out. I would file a divorce so da** quick. One more thing to scare me into never getting married.

ERdept
05-29-2009, 1:08 AM
I wish I found that. One man's meat is another man's poison.

sreiter
05-29-2009, 9:40 AM
not from tv

talking to gunsite range master who are former LEO (one LT and one former DEA and sheriff)

yes, BCG's and extractor can be changed out. Cases are finger prints mostly extractor markings

as far as the round getting mangled, depends on the round, what it hits etc.

why would there even be balistics expert

http://www.forensictechnology.com/DOWNLOADS/Publications/FastTRAX_BC_090307_v1.pdf

http://shelby.senate.gov/legislation/leg_pdf/gun2.pdf

http://unjobs.org/tags/forensic-ballistics

http://www.newstin.co.uk/rel/uk/en-010-011468194

http://www.azballistics.com/

do i need to go on ?

sreiter
05-29-2009, 9:42 AM
Sreiter looks like you spend a lot of time watching CSI, sent you a pm, rifling changes with wear, bcgs can get swapped, people buy sell trade used barrels and bcg's all the time, It aint like you see on tv. Labs don't have the time to go on fishing expeditions.

so, if you just killed someone with a particular gun, you're going to then use it for enough target practice to wear down the barrel ?

sreiter
05-29-2009, 9:52 AM

so you're saying a NRA produced vid talking tring to convince the public that a law requiring a bullet and case from every lawful gun purchased be stored in a national data base is a bad idea as proof that there i no such thing as ballistic finger printing ?

all its saying is the current computer they're using isnt strong enough to find matches

as a matter of fact - the vid supports my statements - they show them usng abrasive paste to alter the rifling marks

did you even watch the video ?

walter
05-29-2009, 10:00 AM
freaking idiot

sreiter
05-29-2009, 10:27 AM
freaking idiot

you talking to me?

if so, you best know me first before you start taking liberty's like that.

Isnt there some sort of form rule about calling people names?

So internet tough guy, how about you prove how smart you are and refute anything posted with facts

Kestryll
05-29-2009, 10:37 AM
How about you chill out and find out who he is referring to before getting your 'macho internet tough guy' attitude all wound up?

He could quite readily be talking about the idiot who toss ammo and uppers in to a dumpster you know.

krushem2000
06-04-2009, 4:13 AM
think whoever threw them away realized they were FAKE LARUE uppers. :eek: since market is slowing down now and cant get rid of them.

HK Dave
06-04-2009, 5:27 AM
They FOUND MY UPPERS!!! My wife got mad and threw them away! Someone tell those police men to give me my uppers! :D

Marxman
06-04-2009, 8:25 AM
God, that guy was an IDIOT! Even if he was anti-gun or uniformed that was economic suicide in these times! I can see Pelosi, Boxer, or Finestein finding absurd amounts of ammunition/uppers and either stashing them or selling them off (remember, Pelosi was the last person in her district to get a CCW even though she's horribly anti-gun) it's not too much of a stretch to see someone in her disposition enjoying the American right to free enterprise and profiteering. Well, that and finders-keepers. Just goes to show, find something foreign in large quantaties, check it out before you turn it in!

Oh, and on that ballistic fingerprinting. A good shooter picks up his brass, but in these times everyone should - for the sake of economical shooting! It's also not too much of a stretch to say that someone could wear down their rifling in a short time. I know a guy that'd be more than willing to do it for you, for free.

bombadillo
06-04-2009, 9:13 AM
Seriously not a chance on earth that i'd be giving those up. The upper isn't the "gun" anyway. You just found a whole bunch of barrels pal and now they're the gub'ment's :eek: Probably get put to use on the PD after they're checked out.

dwtt
06-04-2009, 5:39 PM
not from tv

talking to gunsite range master who are former LEO (one LT and one former DEA and sheriff)

yes, BCG's and extractor can be changed out. Cases are finger prints mostly extractor markings

as far as the round getting mangled, depends on the round, what it hits etc.

why would there even be balistics expert

http://www.forensictechnology.com/DOWNLOADS/Publications/FastTRAX_BC_090307_v1.pdf

http://shelby.senate.gov/legislation/leg_pdf/gun2.pdf

http://unjobs.org/tags/forensic-ballistics

http://www.newstin.co.uk/rel/uk/en-010-011468194

http://www.azballistics.com/

do i need to go on ?

Why didn't you refer to Maryland's ballistic fingerprinting program? It was such a hit (no pun intended).

This ballistic fingerprinting doesn't work in the real world. If I had found those uppers and ammo, I would throw out the seat in my little car to fit it all in. No way am I going to give it to BATF and I'm not going to worry about this ballistic fingerprinting.

THT
06-04-2009, 5:59 PM
How is it that I never come across finds like that? Or the crate of grenades and M16s in DC? Or the cache of goodies in, I think, CA?? If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

socomIInato
06-04-2009, 6:49 PM
could one of those uppers be the one i`v been waiting for the last 5 months:confused:

Amacias805
06-04-2009, 7:16 PM
so, if you just killed someone with a particular gun, you're going to then use it for enough target practice to wear down the barrel ?

yes there is bullets ballistics... however, the availability varies significantly. for one, most police labs ballistic tanks can only handle handguns, i was in a forensic class (the teacher was a FS for a police dept.) he was trying x 39 and it was pushing it to its limit....

2 depending on what type of ammo was shot and what target was hit there may or may not be a bullet to recover from the crime scene, or it might be so mangled that it would not be Identifiable. ....

the shell casing (if available - revolvers dont leave casings) was more consistent, and easier to find a positive id....

but im not an expert, just a student... come to your own conclusions if your opinions differ

Vinz
06-04-2009, 7:29 PM
could one of those uppers be the one i`v been waiting for the last 5 months:confused:

HAA ya, Delton would rather see it in the trash then in Ca. J/k

I believe bullet finger printing would be more effective with small caliber handgun rounds. 5.56/.223 doen't leave much behind to ID.

uhhmmm, dumpster hu? I guess he didn't have a boat. :p

vinz

pedro_c111
06-04-2009, 7:58 PM
finders/keepers??????

untraceable ????

Someone's been watching a little too much CSI.

CSDGuy
06-04-2009, 8:59 PM
finders/keepers??????

untraceable ????

Yeah... "Ballistic Fingerprinting" worked so well in Maryland that it was able to assist in getting one conviction that could have been achieved without that system. Normal wear will produce changes to the parts that normally leave marks, so after a few thousand rounds, you won't be able to say for certain if a cartridge was fired from that same firearm that was "fingerprinted" so many years ago.

As to the rest of it, comparing ballistic markings works pretty well IF there's enough recovered material that isn't deformed to the point that it's unusable as evidence AND a weapon is also recovered reasonably quickly that can be tested...

If I were the murderous criminal type, I'd make sure that my weapons were all either stolen or sterile. They'd be used once, and tossed away. No fingerprints would be on the weapons... well, not mine anyway...

Were I be dumb/stupid enough to use my own weapons, I'd could completely change all those (parts) markings and it would take me all of about 5 minutes if I've got the parts...

I wouldn't be surprised if a lab tested recovered weapons... and labs do occasionally match weapons with crimes, but I suspect that most of what they end up doing is matching projectiles to other projectiles... linking crimes. Once they catch someone... then they might be able to link them back to the other crimes.

JagerTroop
06-04-2009, 9:50 PM
I wish I found that. One man's meat is another man's poison.

:p
There's a joke somewhere in this quote, but I'm too lazy to think up something witty.