PDA

View Full Version : Gun Storage?

joshuab
05-26-2009, 9:26 PM
My grandma is a resident of Nevada and I have dual residency(CA & NV).

Can I store weapons (handguns and rifles) in my safe in CA for her? Are there any reporting requirements or time limits?

Thanks for your help,

joshuab

ChuckBooty
05-26-2009, 9:52 PM
define "dual residency". The DOJ and BATF doesn't recognize this...even in the case of active military being stationed in California. You can not buy guns in another state and take them back here.

DDT
05-26-2009, 9:58 PM
My grandma is a resident of Nevada and I have dual residency(CA & NV).

Can I store weapons (handguns and rifles) in my safe in CA for her? Are there any reporting requirements or time limits?

Thanks for your help,

joshuab

it's relatively cheap to do an oplaw form to transfer them to you temporarily. It is a little sketchy to store for anyone else for more than 30 days in CA. It is also sketchy to transport and store interstate without documenting it.

Maestro Pistolero
05-26-2009, 10:22 PM
It is a little sketchy to store for anyone else for more than 30 days in CA.

Don't you take them back to NV once a month or so to clean them? ;)

JDay
05-26-2009, 10:34 PM
it's relatively cheap to do an oplaw form to transfer them to you temporarily. It is a little sketchy to store for anyone else for more than 30 days in CA. It is also sketchy to transport and store interstate without documenting it.

Don't forget that you only need to do the oplaw for handguns, you can give a grandparent long guns without any paperwork. Just make sure they're legal in CA.

joshuab
05-26-2009, 11:15 PM
define "dual residency". The DOJ and BATF doesn't recognize this...even in the case of active military being stationed in California. You can not buy guns in another state and take them back here.

Dual residency means I spend a majority of my time in Ca but spend at least 31 days/year in my home in Nv as a seasonal resident. I have a Ca drivers license and a Nv Id. I don't know why I added the resident part to my initial post. I guess it is not relevant. Sorry.

joshuab
05-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Thanks JDAY and DDT for the advice. I guess it is better safe than sorry. I bristle at CA gun laws. I don't think the 2A says anything about a papertrail!

So I have to do the oplaw form for the handguns & nothing for legal long guns but where does the CA legal AR fit it? (I assume on the oplaw form?)

Thanks again. Joshuab

JDay
05-27-2009, 12:11 AM
Thanks JDAY and DDT for the advice. I guess it is better safe than sorry. I bristle at CA gun laws. I don't think the 2A says anything about a papertrail!

So I have to do the oplaw form for the handguns & nothing for legal long guns but where does the CA legal AR fit it? (I assume on the oplaw form?)

Thanks again. Joshuab

Doesn't go anywhere. However if it is a registered assault weapon it cannot be loaned (i.e. locked up and you retain the key). If the handguns are only being stored and she's not going to use them you don't need to send in anything. There's also the 30 day loan with no-paperwork rule. No time limit between loans.

joshuab
05-27-2009, 9:34 PM
Doesn't go anywhere. However if it is a registered assault weapon it cannot be loaned (i.e. locked up and you retain the key). If the handguns are only being stored and she's not going to use them you don't need to send in anything. There's also the 30 day loan with no-paperwork rule. No time limit between loans.

What makes it a "registered assault weapon"? If it has an OLL, BB and no hi-cap mag it qualifies as a long gun and requires no paperwork to transfer?

joshuab

ChuckBooty
05-27-2009, 10:01 PM
What makes it a "registered assault weapon"? If it has an OLL, BB and no hi-cap mag it qualifies as a long gun and requires no paperwork to transfer?

joshuab

Right. It's no longer an AW and is simply a long gun. Long guns require no registration whatsoever. So yep...;)

Seesm
05-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Grandma's got AR's? She need a boyfriend? :) RraRArrrrrrr piff pifff
:) JK

CHS
05-27-2009, 11:11 PM

The BATFE does in fact recognize dual residency.

More technically, they recognize residency of one state at a time, as long as it satisfies certain requirements, and they recognize that you can buy firearms in either state that you reside as long as you are only buying in the state that you reside in while you are buying the firearm.

So, you can have a primary residence in CA and buy firearms with your CDL. You can have a work or vacation home in NV, and WHILE RESIDING in NV, you can buy some firearms. But you can't buy firearms in NV any time you are just plain visiting.

It's murky, I know, but they do recognize it.