PDA

View Full Version : Some AR-15 q's. First 80 rounds through it. Brass shavings.

Cal-Irish
05-26-2009, 8:57 PM
Alright, got out memorial weekend to let loose a few rounds. No problems except the trigger pin walked once, that gave me a little scare.

I have a question though. During cleaning I noticed brass shaving in the upper receiver area and around the locking lugs. More than a buddies, and more than I expected.

Ive been told its due to a strong extractor being rough on the cases and from feeding from the mag. Now my question are;

Will this get any less as the extractor breaks in?

Since it cycled properly, should I even worry bout it? Or just keep her clean?

aplinker
05-26-2009, 9:08 PM
First, check to make sure your hammer springs are on top of the trigger pin.

I wouldn't worry about the brass shavings - it's normal. If it does get less that's actually a bad thing, as it's a sign the extractor strength is weakening. ;)

Texas Boy
05-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Did you look at any of your spent brass? What you are looking for are ejector marks - tears, pull marks and other damage to the brass. If your brass isn't torn up from the ejector then what you are seeing is normal and no big deal.

If the brass looks chewed up and damaged then you need to investigate further. Some possible causes in that case could be using 5.56 in a .223 chamber, or simply needing a heavier buffer to allow the chamber pressure to subside more before extracting.

ElevenBravO
05-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Always keep her clean! You don't want to end up with a Malfunction. But surprisingly some people don't clean it for a while and still functions. Lol

ElevenBravO
05-27-2009, 12:48 AM
Always keep her clean! You don't want to end up with a Malfunction. But surprisingly some people don't clean it for a while and still functions. Lol