PDA

View Full Version : USPSA, where ? Chabot or Richmond

Equalizer
05-06-2005, 3:17 PM
I am interested in beginning in USPSA, I have never shot from a holster, haven't found a range that would allow that, plenty in dryfire.
I shot GSSF at Richmond and the RO's were from the resident club, great group of guys. I took a defensive pistol class at Chabot, beautiful range great facility. I am interested in a club that will give a newbie adequate beginner instruction etc. I'm not trying to start a war, I live in San Jose so I'm going to be traveling and I would just like to get your impressions.

Equalizer
05-06-2005, 3:17 PM
I am interested in beginning in USPSA, I have never shot from a holster, haven't found a range that would allow that, plenty in dryfire.
I shot GSSF at Richmond and the RO's were from the resident club, great group of guys. I took a defensive pistol class at Chabot, beautiful range great facility. I am interested in a club that will give a newbie adequate beginner instruction etc. I'm not trying to start a war, I live in San Jose so I'm going to be traveling and I would just like to get your impressions.

bear
05-06-2005, 4:23 PM
Richmond has dropped their beginner class, they just say come to a Saturday morning practice now.

Chabot, I've never shot IPSC there, but the TASC website (http://www.tasc-ipsc.org/ ) says this: In order to maintain a high level of safety, shooters who have little or no prior IPSC experience are required to attend a short holster qualification class, called the "Safe Handgun Competitor Course", where you will be shown what is considered to be the basic requirements for safe conduct, draw and fire from the holster, movement, and other basic techniques.
The course is now given only on the 2nd Saturday of each month and begins promptly at 8:00am on range #4. Cost is $25.00, and includes the day's match fee.

Chabot is closer to you anyway. Have fun!

tzahoy
05-06-2005, 7:04 PM
Hey Equalizer, I'm in SJ also and I've been thinking of going up to Richmond for Saturday practice or Chabot for the training class. I've been shooting in Bullseye events since I was a kid, but want to try something more action based. If you want to hook up for one of these events that would be fun.

-Paul

05-06-2005, 10:23 PM
I am a Long time member of both and shoot matches at both clubs regularly. My wife and I usually shoot on the 4th saturday with TASC and on the 1st and 3rd sundays at richmond. Take the TASC new shooter class at Chabot and learn the rules, strategy, and scoring from them and shoot a few matches there as well. When you feel comfortable with TASC matches then try a match with us at richmond. If you go to shoot matches at richmond first, you may get frustrated and not stick with it for the long term since it is MUCH more competitive and the stages are quite a bit more challenging. Let me know if you need a contact for TASCs class and Ill hook you up. Whatever you decide look me up and I can answer any questions you might have.

Larry

dwtt
05-07-2005, 9:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tzahoy:
Hey Equalizer, I'm in SJ also and I've been thinking of going up to Richmond for Saturday practice or Chabot for the training class. I've been shooting in Bullseye events since I was a kid, but want to try something more action based. If you want to hook up for one of these events that would be fun.

-Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TASC in Chabot has a beginner class on the 2nd Saturday of every month except this month. On May 14, their web site says they will have a series of classifiers to help newer shooters get their classifications. So, I think you should try the beginner class on June 11, but you'll likely learn a lot just by showing up next Saturday and watching the match and asking a lot of questions.
It's always good to have new people enter the sport and I think TASC does a good job of introducing people without scaring them off.

johnny_22
05-07-2005, 5:14 PM
AWT's Basic Pistol class at Reeds Indoor Range teaches drawing from a holster. It is a good introduction.

Equalizer
05-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the advice I guess I'll start at Chabot,I think I'll go out and look around next Saturday.Tzahoy, if you want to go out on June 11,2005 we can ride together.
Bill

BigAL
05-10-2005, 1:34 PM
I just wanted to add for your first match, don't try to rush yourself. Just walk it, get your hits, and stay safe. Plenty of time to go fast once you get some experience. USPSA is a lot of fun.

Equalizer
05-10-2005, 2:09 PM
Thanks Big Al, I'll heed your advice. I have a bum knee so what I do is not likely to be called running anyway.
Bill

dwtt
05-13-2005, 6:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by equalizer 40:
Thanks for the advice I guess I'll start at Chabot,I think I'll go out and look around next Saturday.Tzahoy, if you want to go out on June 11,2005 we can ride together.
Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, I took another look at the web site, and the next beginner class is on May 28, not June 11, although you can wait a month if you want to get the holster, magazine carriers, and belt.

tzahoy
05-14-2005, 8:17 AM
Hi Bill, I wouldn't mind hooking up with you for either the May or June class. If you want to get together some time before then and bang some rounds let me know! I drop by the 10th st. range once in a while because it's close, and also go to Metcalf and Target Masters. I wouldn't mind checking out others.

-Paul

AR-shogun
05-14-2005, 1:20 PM
Matt Burkett will be giving a Practical Shooting class for Beginners in June at the Richmond Range.

Check out his web site.

www.mattburkett.com (http://www.mattburkett.com).
Great way to get started in competition. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif