PDA

View Full Version : 'large hole' colt upper attaching to 'small hole' lower

TonyNorCal
03-16-2005, 1:05 PM
Are there any issues involved with attaching a large hole Colt Sporter upper to a Fab-10 receiver (which I'm assuming has a small hole)? Heard about using an offset screw...but am curious whether such a set-up presents any issues?

Thanks

TonyNorCal
03-16-2005, 1:05 PM
Are there any issues involved with attaching a large hole Colt Sporter upper to a Fab-10 receiver (which I'm assuming has a small hole)? Heard about using an offset screw...but am curious whether such a set-up presents any issues?

Thanks

pidooma
03-16-2005, 3:21 PM
The only issue I can think of is, depending on the offset pin that you get, you may not be able to pivot the upper open. You may have to remove both the front pivot pin and rear take down pin and pull the upper off to load the FAB-10.

bwiese
03-16-2005, 3:26 PM
Tony...

Unless you're getting a screaming deal and have no other choices, I'd avoid getting a Colt large hole upper (.325" vs .250", I believe).

(There's also the converse situation, a Colt large-hole lower using standard .250" pin upper).

I've heard that even with this 'conversion pin', if it's not quite inserted into just the right position (rotationwise), there might be some binding when pivoting open the upper.

The whole thing about a FAB10 is to have an upper which opens/closes easily since you can't have a mag. So I think you should keep that in mind.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

-hanko
03-16-2005, 10:00 PM
If it's a nice upper, might be worth finding a good hand with a TIG gun & milling machine...weld the holes shut & drill/ream for small pins. You will need to stay near the receiver during the process unless the person has a prk aw permit. I've had it done for $100 or so...work cannot be told from original.

-hanko

esskay
03-17-2005, 10:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Technical Ted:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by -hanko:
You will need to stay near the receiver during the process unless the person has a prk aw permit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Uh. Not if it's the upper receiver...that's not considered an AW...and how could it be cost effective when upper receivers go for an average of $150? Just get another upper and swap the barrel.

Duh...you're right. Maybe I'm spending too much time on FAL's.

-hanko

This message has been edited. Last edited by: -hanko, March 17, 2005 04:28 PM
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hijack... whoa, that's strange, how did Hanko end up editing Ted's post?

kenzo
03-20-2005, 1:31 PM
Can you give us the name of the person that does this? I might need to get this done to mine.

regards

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by -hanko:
If it's a nice upper, might be worth finding a good hand with a TIG gun & milling machine...weld the holes shut & drill/ream for small pins. You will need to stay near the receiver during the process unless the person has a prk aw permit. I've had it done for $100 or so...work cannot be told from original.

-hanko </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

-hanko
03-20-2005, 7:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kenzo:
Can you give us the name of the person that does this? I might need to get this done to mine.

regards
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mine was done in TX, I called a few welding shops until I found one with a tig genius who also happened to be a shooter. I did the machining myself on a mill at work.

-hanko