PDA

View Full Version : My First Career Day

heyeugenio
05-26-2009, 1:59 PM
Hi all,

I'm up for my first official "Career Day" at my son's school. I've got a 30 min spot and I'm deathly afraid that I'm gonna get the "1000 yard stare" from his 2nd grade classmates.

Aside from cuffing their teacher in front of the class, will probably have some of the kids do it too, I'm at a loss of what to do.

Funny thing is, I've performed in front of thousands before (used to be in a band) but having to dedicate 30 minutes to antsy 2nd graders is putting my stomach in a knot.

The problem is that in my present position, I don't have to work patrol so I don't have to push around a radio car. Instead, I work the Fraud detail, and as much as the taxpayers love what I do, I can't see a 2nd grader being elated that I'm at their school.

I guess I could show up in our raid gear but there's only so much that I can say about some of the tactical gear. I'm not going to take ANY weapons as I don't want to show up on Youtube ala DEA.

Any suggestions from other Detectives or Inspectors that have faced similar situations?

I'm sure I'll be fine but I just don't want to put anyone to sleep - great material for the adults but G rated stories/entertainment are far and few between.

Any help would be appreciated Code 2 - I'm on stage June 1st.

Thanks in advance!

Jwood562
05-26-2009, 2:11 PM
I did one at my girlfriends kinder class, I only have about 10-15 minutes to fill but it seems like an eternity. haha

but I went in full uniform and took all my equipment. be interactive and ask them questions, "do you guys know what police do?" and take a few answers, ask another queston and take a few answers.

Tell tham all the different things you do. help people. find lost children, cahse bad guys etc....

show then your equpment and clear up all of their mis conceptions (they will have them). they loved my bullet proof vest. also they were in awe at how heavy all the gear is.

Take stickers or what ever stuff your dept can spare (stickers, coloring books etc)

be relaxed and get them involved to keep their attention

heyeugenio
05-26-2009, 2:37 PM
Good suggestion.

I will probably bring along a couple of vests so a few kids can try them on at the same time.

I can see sweating through 10-15 minutes but OMG, 30 minutes?! I may bring my academy video as a "back-up" plan but still - sheesh!

It will be fun - my son, bless his heart, keeps me on this pedestal - I just don't want to let HIM down because "Fraud" isn't Code 3 calls all day long.

Thanks again!

JerryM
05-26-2009, 2:50 PM
Kids love putting on gear. Vests, helmets, belts.

Make sure you have a digital camera handy (you will spend some time photographing away).

Your department's public affairs office can give you pens, pencils, notepads, stickers and Shinny Deputy Sticker Badges you can put on all the kids.

Typical questions you will be asked:

Did you kill anybody?
What type of gun you have?
How many guns you have?
Is it scary?
Do you beat people up?
Etc.

Have fun!!! LOL.

yzernie
05-26-2009, 3:01 PM
All of the above are great suggestions. Keeping them involved with questions and trying on gear is a great tool to use. Be careful with the OC...don't ask me how I know!! :eek:

I would suggest however, that you take your partners gear for them to try on. That way when they sweat, drool, bleed, puke or get lice on it...it's not yours to have to clean up!! :D

jafount
05-26-2009, 3:53 PM
I assume you're in a regular department and you're just in the fraud unit right now. Just talk to your Lt. (or whomever is your direct supervisor) and tell them what you're doing. Don the ole uniform, gun and all because that's what they all want to see.

Do as others have suggested. If you're in a "regular department" anywhere in the bay, your department must have a dare car (or similar) see about taking that and getting it set up near the class. This way, you can have show and tell about the unit, run the lights, blip the siren and suck up 2/3 of your time right there. Just spend the first ten minutes talking about your uniform and answering the perfunctory little kid questions, (as someone else said) 1) have you ever been shot? 2) have you ever shot anyone? 3) How fast does your police car go?

I always liked to unzip (I assume most of us use zippers on our uniform shirts) my shirt, expose my body armor and knock on the chest plate. That always seems to grab attention. You can easily suck up the first part of your time with that, then the car is a super bonus. Your son will be the coolest kid in class and you'll get through it no sweat.

CaliTheKid
05-26-2009, 4:12 PM
I spent about 30 min at a grade school with some 2nd graders as a favor to a friend. It turned out being really fun.

Like suggested-- if you can-- break out the class A and checkout a radio car. The kids really went crazy being able to sit in a black and white, see the lights and have a picture taken. The uniform was a hit too and they all wanted to know what everything on the sam brown was and did etc.

Talk about safety issues for them: talking to strangers, what you should do if you see a gun, being safe on the internet etc. Also see if your department has any stickers so you can deputize all of them as junior partners in being safe. I spent some time on the McGruff site to get a few ideas rolling. Lot's of good stuff to get you started. The time will fly by-- kids are really interested in police-- I think you will have fun. Bets of luck!

http://www.mcgruff.org/

Fire in the Hole
05-26-2009, 4:21 PM
This brings back some memories. When my daughter was in first grade, the teacher assigned them a music appreciation assignment of singing the theme song from their favorite TV show. My dalring little demure daughter stood up on her chair and sang out, "Bad Boys, Bad Boys, Whatch'a Gonna Do? Whatch'a Gonna Do When They Come For You?"

The concerned teacher called my wife, who broke out laughing on the phone. "Just, go with it, or get over it." said my wife.

heyeugenio
05-26-2009, 5:14 PM

Talk about safety issues for them: talking to strangers, what you should do if you see a gun, being safe on the internet etc. Also see if your department has any stickers so you can deputize all of them as junior partners in being safe. I spent some time on the McGruff site to get a few ideas rolling. Lot's of good stuff to get you started. The time will fly by-- kids are really interested in police-- I think you will have fun. Bets of luck!

http://www.mcgruff.org/

This is choice stuff - I really wanted to be a catalyst versus a turnoff for the kids in the class. A few of them already know me on a personal level from my son's team sports etc. and I wanted to make sure that I could cultivate any interests rather than put out their fires. What can I say - fraud detail ain't for everyone but a lot of your tips and suggestions are great!

Guess I was worried for nothing:sweatdrop:. I really have a firm belief that the more we invest in our community and are accountable for our public "face" the greater the chances of increasing positive change and progress. Just one of the many reasons I got in to law enforcement to begin with.

Thank you brethren - looks like I'll be code 4 after all;)

Jonathan Doe
05-26-2009, 5:29 PM
I have done it from kindergarten to colleges. Each one is interesting. Just enjoy it and answer the questions. Just don't tell them you shot and killed someone.:thumbsup:

gunrun45
05-26-2009, 5:33 PM
I used to give safety speeches at local grade schools, bicycle "rodeo's" and gang speeches. It gets easier with time...

I like what others have said above. My trick was to bring some swag from the department (trading cards, pencils, key rings, water bottles, frisbies, etc...). I would give them a little speech about work and then ask questions about what I told them. Those that I called on and answered the questions correctly got something. They loved it.

I highly recomend going in uniform. Kids identify with the uniform really well and you can always give them some stats like belt weight, heat of wearing the vest, etc... I was always amazed with what kids found interesting.

If your department doesn't have any swag kinda stuff, hit up your local uniform store. They might have some pencils, badge stickers, etc... for just the same kind of ocasions. Cool looking pencils from the craft store work too.

Avoid the storries about fights and shootings. Keep it positive and side step the questions about guns, etc...

tyrist
05-26-2009, 7:58 PM
Bring stickers

yzernie
05-26-2009, 8:34 PM
Take this car...THAT will impress them!!

http://www.hotrodscustomstuff.com/HUMOR/sheriff.jpg

bluestaterebel
05-26-2009, 9:24 PM
My partner and I did this for a 2nd grade class once. we got all the typical questions, but when they asked about the baton my partner told them, "when the bad guys try to get away we use these to throw at their legs like in TJ Hooker"

I gave him a look that said STFU. I later told him, hey stupid, you cant say hooker at an elementary school. He said "it's okay its a TV show"

I said, Really? how many of these 2nd graders do you think are fans of the 80s tv show with William Shatner and Heather Locklear. They probably thought you were talking about Tijuana prostitutes.

Turbinator
05-31-2009, 7:42 AM
Probably planning out a short outline will help you get through -

1) Introduce yourself, and a little bit about law enforcement
2) Reinforce that you are here to serve, protect, and uphold the law
3) Come prepared with 2 or 3 stories / topics you can throw out there to capture the kids' attention - they are 2nd graders, highly unlikely they'll see you as a threat - they will be more curious than afraid, IMHO
4) Open it up for questions, maybe leave only 5 to 10 minutes for this as you may not want them leading the presentation if it goes down a rathole

Good luck, and thank you for doing this public service!

Turby

yzernie
05-31-2009, 6:35 PM
Good luck tomorrow and most of all...have fun doing it!!

shoupdawg
06-01-2009, 9:50 PM
My partner and I did this for a 2nd grade class once. we got all the typical questions, but when they asked about the baton my partner told them, "when the bad guys try to get away we use these to throw at their legs like in TJ Hooker"

I gave him a look that said STFU. I later told him, hey stupid, you cant say hooker at an elementary school. He said "it's okay its a TV show"

I said, Really? how many of these 2nd graders do you think are fans of the 80s tv show with William Shatner and Heather Locklear. They probably thought you were talking about Tijuana prostitutes.

Man this one cracked me up....heyeugenio...tell us how it goes. (I'm not LEO but this was neat reading.)

heyeugenio
06-02-2009, 7:13 AM
Man, it's over and I survived!

Thanks to all the great tips and advice. It really wasn't bad at all and, according to my son, I was a hit!

I ended up running over time - nearly an hour total! I had to cut it off because I think even the teacher was enjoying and I didn't want to take up the next parent's time.

I made handouts for gun safety and internet safety along with word finds and mazes to do WITH their parents - McGruff saved the day so, much thanks to the poster for that tip!

They had excellent questions along with the hard-to-keep-a-straight face types as well.

One of my faves in regards to some of the safety equipment, "What if someone has a missile-launching truck and they launch a missile at you?" My reply was, "I guess I'm going on one crazy ride!"

The vests were a hit, as were the various calibers of ammo I brought.

In the end, I brought gear for the kids to see and try on/out. Candy and toy badges, cuffs and radios as well as coloring books to give out as prizes.

But the real highlight? I arrested the teacher! I chirped up one of the other investigators as he acted as dispatch and 29'd her etc. She came back with outstanding wants etc. and cuffed her. Went through the whole routine and advised 10-15 and they were about to send add'l units.

I had them 23 as I took a class vote - it was close but we ended up releasing her back to the class. She was a great sport about it, had a good laugh too and I'm sure it won't be something she'll soon forget.

I'm still reeling from the high...it was a blast and I welcome the chance to do it again.

Thanks again to all of you. It's an honor.

sgtbuck
06-02-2009, 8:38 AM
Sounds like you has as much fun as the kids. You did good.....

I remember about 15 years ago I had to play McGruff during the summer. It must have been over 100 degrees. There was a small fan in the nose that was to keep air blowing in your face. One of the kids stuck his hand up under the nose area and the fan hit is fingers. He grabbed his hand and started to yell Mommy Mommy the dog bit me!!!!!!

WokMaster1
06-02-2009, 9:12 AM
Man, it's over and I survived!

Thanks to all the great tips and advice. It really wasn't bad at all and, according to my son, I was a hit!

I ended up running over time - nearly an hour total! I had to cut it off because I think even the teacher was enjoying and I didn't want to take up the next parent's time.

I made handouts for gun safety and internet safety along with word finds and mazes to do WITH their parents - McGruff saved the day so, much thanks to the poster for that tip!

They had excellent questions along with the hard-to-keep-a-straight face types as well.

One of my faves in regards to some of the safety equipment, "What if someone has a missile-launching truck and they launch a missile at you?" My reply was, "I guess I'm going on one crazy ride!"

The vests were a hit, as were the various calibers of ammo I brought.

In the end, I brought gear for the kids to see and try on/out. Candy and toy badges, cuffs and radios as well as coloring books to give out as prizes.

But the real highlight? I arrested the teacher! I chirped up one of the other investigators as he acted as dispatch and 29'd her etc. She came back with outstanding wants etc. and cuffed her. Went through the whole routine and advised 10-15 and they were about to send add'l units.

I had them 23 as I took a class vote - it was close but we ended up releasing her back to the class. She was a great sport about it, had a good laugh too and I'm sure it won't be something she'll soon forget.

I'm still reeling from the high...it was a blast and I welcome the chance to do it again.

Thanks again to all of you. It's an honor.

Did the teacher thank you later for letting her discover her hidden desire???:p

Good post btw.

CaliTheKid
06-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Great to hear it all worked out-- sounds like you nailed it-- good job!

heyeugenio
06-02-2009, 3:53 PM
Did the teacher thank you later for letting her discover her hidden desire???:p

Good post btw.

LOL. I've been getting a lot of feedback on that one...my family was all over me about getting her in cuffs. She didn't resist...in fact she seemed quite comfortable being hooked up.

I'll leave it at that as that can be taken waaaay outta context!

yzernie
06-02-2009, 7:40 PM
Sounds like an absolute success...congrats!! I had a ton of fun doing those for my boys classes when they were little. The pursuits and other cool things we do are fun but these are the types of things that you'll remember forever.

pinwheels
06-05-2009, 6:39 PM
Hey heyeugenio-
I'm not LEO but passed through the forum to see what was there. Nice work!
Kids need to learn, and first hand experience beats TV and adult talking heads every time. Sounds like you passed on some good info that will stick.
Keep it up. You guys ROCK!