PDA

View Full Version : CCW Permit?

SnipeShot
05-26-2009, 2:23 PM
I am currently interested in getting a CCW permit as I have had a few family members attempt to kill me yes I am not kidding on this one. That was the reason I purchased a handgun for home defense but some places I goto I have seen them around. What is the process to get one I know it is a long wait to get one I have heard over a year. I live in Ventura County one concern I have is that I have heard I need to meet with the chief of police when that time comes. I am almost 27 and am afraid they might use my age to say no. I have never had any issues with the law except a speeding ticket. What will I have to do to get the ball rolling?

KCM222
05-26-2009, 2:34 PM
Contact the Ventura PD and obtain a CCW application.

ripcurlksm
05-26-2009, 3:38 PM
and check register and post questions on this forum:
http://www.calccw.com/Forums/

jben
05-26-2009, 3:41 PM
Do some searching here at Calguns and take a look at http://californiaccw.org/ and http://www.calccw.com/.

Nanook
05-26-2009, 4:00 PM
Lousy situation you're in, my condolences. Unless you're the cause of their ill will... ;)

Anyway, having a death threat against you on file with the PD couldn't hurt with your "good cause" statement on the CCW app.

MrClamperSir
05-26-2009, 5:13 PM
Read a lot about it before applying, a lot!! This forum and a few others are invaluable in helping to avoid mistakes when it comes to the application process. http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/

TheBundo
05-27-2009, 1:42 AM
Do you have restraining orders against any of them based on past incidents? I think there is a loophole....................

pullnshoot25
05-27-2009, 2:11 AM
I am currently interested in getting a CCW permit as I have had a few family members attempt to kill me yes I am not kidding on this one. That was the reason I purchased a handgun for home defense but some places I goto I have seen them around. What is the process to get one I know it is a long wait to get one I have heard over a year. I live in Ventura County one concern I have is that I have heard I need to meet with the chief of police when that time comes. I am almost 27 and am afraid they might use my age to say no. I have never had any issues with the law except a speeding ticket. What will I have to do to get the ball rolling?

WOW. No joke, but you should change your last name and GTFO of Dodge... in addition to a CCW permit.

Knauga
05-27-2009, 7:50 AM
If you plan on using personal threats as the basis of your good cause, make sure you've done everything on the legal track to "protect yourself". If there are true threats, make sure they are documented and that you had reported to police. Did you get restraining orders? What have you done to protect yourself from these people making threats or who have attempted to harm you? How long have you been living with these threats? When is the last time a threat has been made?

Even the most CCW friendly counties that would happily issue for simple "personal protection" get very persnickety about these types of "good cause" statements. They want to see that you did everything you should/could do before "going to the gun".

nicki
05-27-2009, 10:52 AM
First, what county/city are you in, that will determine ability to get CCW permit. Many on this board can help you, but we must know what county you are in.

2nd, if you have death threats, you need to file police reports and file restraining orders on said individuals.

Of course you will have to tell them why you have death threats, if it is because you stole money or other illegal activity you may have problems.

A legitimate restraining order issued due to threat of violence gives you a affirmative defense for carrying a loaded concealed weapon without a license.

You need to get a attorney on retainer. If you have serious death threats, you are at high risk of having a self defense shooting.

Depending on what county/city you are in, it is a de facto concealed weapons permit.

For instance, a few years back I was getting fingerprints down at a bailbondsmen office and struck a conversation about restraining orders and carrying guns.

He told me back in 1999 that the Santa Clara county DA had tried prosecuting a few people, but lost several cases in a row and after that just stopped prosecution of people carrying guns with restraining orders.

Of course there is a new DA since.

Self defense shootings are usually reactive, you just don't have the time to think.

Problem is if your reaction was wrong, you could find yourself in deep legal troubles.

Right now you should take some defensive pistol courses that have alot of live fire. This way you can document that you are competent.

Even if you get the CCW permit, the training standards to get the permit shouldn't be viewed as all you need. You need to go beyond that.

If you are seriously in trouble, it comes down to judged by 12 versus carried by 6. Sucks, but that is life. Choices have to be made, even bad ones.

Good luck on your CCW application.

Nicki

Rivers
05-27-2009, 11:15 AM
This is a caution to this poster and any others: This posting is on the internet. Any information you post is viewable by the PUBLIC. Be smart about what you post. If you need specific help, avoid posting details that can come back and bite you in the backside. Get competent help offline.

SnipeShot
05-27-2009, 4:48 PM
I have filed charges with the LAPD and applied for a restraining order but the LAPD was unable to serve him the restraining order after numerous attempts as he would not answer the door. The charges that the LAPD filed were for attempted murder he now is living out of his car according to a family member which I have seen around with him driving I know he does have a warrant out for his arrest. Even before this that he always carry's a loaded gun with him even though he does not have a CCW. Personally I would prefer not to have a CCW but there have been those "Close Calls" where I have seen him and have gone the other direction as I do not want any confrontation. He has a history of mental illness. There is one main person I am concerned about since my other family members no longer live anywhere near by. It is a severely bad situation to be at since I am only 26

Thank you for all the sites I will begin to read up on the process.

On a good note I am going to be shooting at the NRA H.Q. in VA I am excited to see what there range looks like.

1BigPea
05-27-2009, 4:56 PM
I have filed charges with the LAPD and applied for a restraining order but the LAPD was unable to serve him the restraining order after numerous attempts as he would not answer the door. The charges that the LAPD filed were for attempted murder he now is living out of his car according to a family member which I have seen around with him driving I know he does have a warrant out for his arrest. Even before this that he always carry's a loaded gun with him even though he does not have a CCW. Personally I would prefer not to have a CCW but there have been those "Close Calls" where I have seen him and have gone the other direction as I do not want any confrontation. He has a history of mental illness. There is one main person I am concerned about since my other family members no longer live anywhere near by. It is a severely bad situation to be at since I am only 26

On a good note I am going to be shooting at the NRA H.Q. in VA I am excited to see what there range looks like.

Have you called the police when you see him out driving? Do they know the vehicle that he is in and the plate #?

That would be a good idea if not, as soon as you see him call the cops, get him arrested.

SnipeShot
05-27-2009, 5:33 PM
They are aware of his vehicle and plate numbers. I had at one point found out where he was parking at night and informed them but nothing had happened. Not to knock the police but I feel they could have done more even though I know the LAPD is very busy. When I have seen him I pull off the road into a public area as I get panic attacks/flashbacks of that night.

This is something that I do need to put allot of thought into as well as far as a CCW since it is a big responsibility.

Thank you everyone for your help and concern I will let you know how things go. I am currently reading the sites that were linked to this thread.

Beelzy
05-27-2009, 5:45 PM
To the OP: Are you prepared to actually shoot someone??

Mindset is more critical than the CCW, IMO.

TheBundo
05-27-2009, 9:42 PM

Why would you PREFER not to have a CCW? Having one doesn't mean you need to use it unless you feel the need to. It's like my pilot's license - I've had it for 32 years, but only use it in spurts

DDT
05-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Why would you PREFER not to have a CCW? Having one doesn't mean you need to use it unless you feel the need to. It's like my pilot's license - I've had it for 32 years, but only use it in spurts

After reading your posts in the gun v. fighting thread can you still keep your medical up?

LOL...... Just kidding old man.

Seesm
05-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Op even WITH the CCW, seeing him and turning the other way is the way you should handle the situation. The gun is the LAST resort... THE LAST.

But do tell why they are out to kill you... )not one but 2 or more... WOW)

Inquiring minds want to know... PM me if you do not want to tell openly as it may help figure how to help you.

SnipeShot
05-28-2009, 5:13 PM
I will make a very long story short. My mother had used my credit cards when I was ill and put on around 15k+ on them. So one night at dinner I heard one of my moms brothers saying how I don't help out and this and that and I walked over and said you don't know the full story and for him not to get involved in these affairs next thing I know he punches me in the face. So me and my g/f decide to leave well it was valet parking and I was waiting for my car I get in and as I sit down I was ripped out and being choked. I was able to brake away after 30 seconds I am 5'8 my uncle is 6'0 300+ lbs.

My g/f called the police while my mom's b/f is saying dont call them and trying to get involved with me. Police come my uncle had left and they had taken a report from me and the witnesses about the assault. I then went to the hospital because I was having issues breathing since he had both thumbs pushed into my windpipe but the doctor said it just needed to heal.

Now a few months go by and nothing happens with my mother and I get no help from my creditors so I sue her in court since you can only take someone to small claims for up to 7500 that's what I did as the cost of an attorney is too high. I got a judgment in my favor and thought that would be the end. She then decides to declare bankruptcy on it so she will not have to pay. If it was a few hundred dollars fine but we are talking 15k +. I decided to press charges on my mother for credit card fraud as she was not an authorized user on the cards nor did she have my approval. Both her brothers are not happy with me in the lease and I have to go back to court over this matter in June. Truly it has been one big nightmare for me and I want it over with.

This is what has lead up to the threats from my family.

I agree the gun is the LAST resort if it came down to my life I would do everything possible defend myself. The reason I said I would prefer not to have one is because this situation should have never happened in the first place but it has unfortunately.

EBR Works
05-28-2009, 8:30 PM
It will take up to 18 months to get a CCW in Ventura County. If you have GC, they will issue. I'm in month 6 of the wait.......

DDT
05-28-2009, 8:53 PM
My mother had used my credit cards when I was ill and put on around 15k+ on them.

Now a few months go by and nothing happens with my mother and I get no help from my creditors so I sue her in court since you can only take someone to small claims for up to 7500 that's what I did as the cost of an attorney is too high. I got a judgment in my favor and thought that would be the end. She then decides to declare bankruptcy on it so she will not have to pay. If it was a few hundred dollars fine but we are talking 15k +. I decided to press charges on my mother for credit card fraud as she was not an authorized user on the cards nor did she have my approval. Both her brothers are not happy with me in the lease and I have to go back to court over this matter in June. Truly it has been one big nightmare for me and I want it over with.

A quick visit to an attorney should clear up most of the credit card issues. If you claim them as fraudulent charges the cc companies will be the ones pressing charges. They cannot hold you liable for charges you didn't make or approve. I don't know if your willingness to pay them down over the last few months will work against you or not, that is why you should spend the money for a couple hours of attorney time.

SnipeShot
05-28-2009, 11:54 PM
That is what I was actually doing until I lost my job a year and a half ago I am currently having a hard enough time just paying rent and putting food on the table. When I contacted the CC companies and explained the situation they said it was a civil matter I had spoken to numerous people at Citi and Chase and all said the same thing that they would not get involved in a civil matter which yes I can see there point but fraud is fraud no matter how it is done.

artherd
05-29-2009, 1:40 AM
It is not a civil issue if the user was not authorized.

gotgunz
05-29-2009, 2:01 AM
Jerry Springer future episode?