PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MBUS on CASV-EL? UNPOSSIBLE!11one

wcnones
05-26-2009, 12:38 PM
It works, despite the rumor that it does not. And to think no one wanted to buy this setup from me for $1200. Thank god for that!

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc74/brandjury/mbusoncasv-elprofilesightsup.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc74/brandjury/mbusoncasv-eltopviewsightsdown.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc74/brandjury/mbusoncasv-elrearquarterangle.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc74/brandjury/mbusoncasv-elfrontsightpicture.jpg

munkeeboi
05-26-2009, 12:42 PM
it works when you put it like that.

I think the complaint was installing it on the first slot of the receiver
(the only remaining slot left)...not on the cas-V.

wcnones
05-26-2009, 12:44 PM
I don't see why this setup would stop people from using the sights. I've seen people selling their MBUS after discovering that it won't fit on the receiver's rail when using a CASV-EL, but why didn't they wanna roll it like this?

Mississippi
05-26-2009, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't run it like that. Looks like you could knock it off. But if it works for then great!

wcnones
05-26-2009, 12:57 PM
I wouldn't run it like that. Looks like you could knock it off. But if it works for then great!

"Looks like" are the operative words here. It is as stable and as likely to be knocked off when mounted on CASV-EL as it is when mounted on the receiver.

ElevenBravO
05-26-2009, 12:58 PM
I wish I could run my Matech on my last slot that's not on my CASV EL. The mounting part of the Matech wouldn't go into the last slot. I might just sell my Matech or trade for an MBUS or ARMS 40L. Any takers? Lol...

wcnones
05-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Cool thing with MBUS is that the front and rear sights are level - if both front and rear are mounted at the same elevation, then the sights will zero.

ElevenBravO
05-26-2009, 1:06 PM
I'm running an A2 fron sight on mine. And if I put my Matech on the last slot of the CASV EL, it wouldn't zero right if the rear sight is high. But maybe it will... WCNONES, What sling mount are do you have?

wcnones
05-26-2009, 1:11 PM
It's a Promag mounting plate with a no-name single-point I bought at the last Ontario Crossroads. I like it lots.

ElevenBravO
05-26-2009, 1:16 PM
Oh ok. Cool. +1 to your build

aplinker
05-26-2009, 7:07 PM
The reason people don't want to do that is:

1.) you don't get a proper cheek weld (too high) since the sights are on the rail

2.) the rear sight is too far forward to get a normal NTCH sight picture.

3.) it looks stupid.

USP Expert
05-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Nice paint job! Did you do it yourself?

wcnones
05-27-2009, 1:42 AM
The reason people don't want to do that is:

1.) you don't get a proper cheek weld (too high) since the sights are on the rail

Wrong. I'm not parroting someone who is parroting someone who is parroting someone. I have these sights mounted as we speak. Cheek weld is better at this height.

2.) the rear sight is too far forward to get a normal NTCH sight picture.

Wrong. It's about 1/8th of an inch further forward than it would be mounted on the receiver's last rail slot, and about the same position as a rear sight on an A2's carry handle.

3.) it looks stupid.

Compelling argument, if you are a mall ninja.

Got any observations based on real-world experience with these sights on a CASV-EL, or were you just pooping in my thread?

wcnones
05-27-2009, 1:45 AM
Nice paint job! Did you do it yourself?

I did - it was surprisingly easy. Duracoat in "Magpul FDE", an airbrush, and an air compressor will yield you with the same results. Thanks for the compliment!

aplinker
05-27-2009, 3:16 AM
you mean like having seen folding sights on a raised rail set-up? Yes, I do, thanks.

I'm glad you like your set-up, but your conclusion is ludicrous. It's a forced solution to something that would be much better done otherwise. I didn't even include the fact you've shortened your sight radius by mounting the front sight on the rail instead of the gas block. If you like 1/2-assed solutions, by all means...

Enjoy your rifle. I'll just enjoy giggling at your thread.

Wrong. I'm not parroting someone who is parroting someone who is parroting someone. I have these sights mounted as we speak. Cheek weld is better at this height.

Wrong. It's about 1/8th of an inch further forward than it would be mounted on the receiver's last rail slot, and about the same position as a rear sight on an A2's carry handle.

Compelling argument, if you are a mall ninja.

Got any observations based on real-world experience with these sights on a CASV-EL, or were you just pooping in my thread?

fliparch
05-27-2009, 6:55 AM
Is it me or the MBUS looks like a cheap delicate plastic toy? :hide:

Ducman
05-27-2009, 7:22 AM

It is, that's why a lot of Folks sell them after getting a hold of them. Oh and that CASVel Handguard is hideous.

maxicon
05-27-2009, 7:46 AM
The CASV rail is 0.5" tall, right? That puts the sight apertures 1.9" above the rail. Some people are OK with that much height - I'm fond of a high cheek weld, myself, though I'd have to try this one out - but it's too tall for people who like the standard AR ergo.

It'll also change the trajectory for a RIBZ - you'd have to calculate a new zero range if you wanted to use the standard RIBZ 25-250 yard single battlefield zero. Alternately, you could work up a set of holdover/unders for the traditional zero. It'll also change the MOA/click, but that's not really an issue once sighted in.

At least it gets away from the complaint some have about the MBUS interfering with the charging handle.

wcnones
05-27-2009, 9:51 AM
you mean like having seen folding sights on a raised rail set-up? Yes, I do, thanks.

No, I mean like using MBUS sights on an CASV-EL setup.

I'm glad you like your set-up, but your conclusion is ludicrous. It's a forced solution to something that would be much better done otherwise. I didn't even include the fact you've shortened your sight radius by mounting the front sight on the rail instead of the gas block. If you like 1/2-assed solutions, by all means...

My conclusion isn't ludicrous. What is ludicrous is the assertion that .5" MOA groupings are the only acceptable output of a rifle, and that if I'm not shooting .5" MOA groupings, I need to get a 3rd mortgate to buy overpriced and uber-accurate parts so that I will be ready for situations I will never encounter in life.

Enjoy your rifle. I'll just enjoy giggling at your thread.

By all means, giggle away.

wcnones
05-27-2009, 9:54 AM

In the same way that the MOE/CTR stock, the MOE handgrip, the PMag setup, or the UBR looks like a cheap, delicate toy? They're all made from the same materials, in case you were wondering. Happens to be a material very similar to what Glocks are made of, as well as most other polymer firearms.

wcnones
05-27-2009, 9:55 AM
It is, that's why a lot of Folks sell them after getting a hold of them. Oh and that CASVel Handguard is hideous.

Here's an idea - how bout you pound some sand up that grumpy rearend of yours? Thanks for offering so much to the discussion.