PDA

View Full Version : Been away for a while and need to get caught up on AK legaility

datapusher
05-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Back during the summer of 2006 when the OLL / build your own craze was peaking, I purchased a Nodak Spud "Premium" AKM receiver. Unfortunately do to job issues and a death in the family I got caught up in life and my build got put on hold. Well life has settled down a bit and I would like to build my cali legal AK.

Thought I would pop on here from my phone before searching, I know I know and see what the current status is with these guns.

Are we still able to build them if we are in posetion of a nodak spud? or is this a nono these days?

Can we still just buy a parts kit online and assemble as long as we still abide by the import/domestic part ratio?

Has Obama becoming president afected anything?

Are we still limited to 10rd magazines?

Anything else I need to know? Has anything major changed in the laws good or bad that I should brush up on?

Thanks for your time. not looking for hand holding, just to be pointed in the right direction so when I get home I can do a proper search from a real computer.

wash
05-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Buying a kit has gotten a lot more expensive. You can blame that on Obama but it was heading that way before he got elected (because of the barrel import ban).

Your receiver is fine.

922(r) is still in effect so you can't have more than 10 foreign parts.

In California you are still restricted to 10 round magazines unless you do a featureless build (like a Saiga or using a Monsterman grip).

You still need a magazine lock if you want any evil features.

Look at the "AW" flowchart, find a path that leads to the legal non "aw" spot and stick to it.

edward
05-26-2009, 12:46 PM
In order that you asked.

NoDaks are perfectly egal and common these days.

Yes.

Only prices. Those have gone up. Way up.

Did you own mags greater than 30 rounds before the restriction on hicaps? If you have hicaps and want to use them on your ak you have to have a featureless ak with no pistol grip, VFG, flash hider or collapsing stock.

No major changes in the law regarding AWs or mags. Some nice litigation in other areas though. :)

HotRails
05-26-2009, 2:59 PM
Expect 350-425 for a decent Romy G kit these days... But now complete rifles are sky high too, Lancasters going for 1100-1200... Good luck with your build!

truthseeker
05-26-2009, 3:59 PM
How does one verify that ONLY ten parts were imported on an AK47?

Do the "other parts" have Made in the US stamped on them?

Dirtbiker
05-26-2009, 4:11 PM

No all the parts of the AK were imported except the receiver.

When you build your AK you can't have more than 10 imported parts. You will need to use 5 US made parts.

1. Your Nodak receiver (1)
2. US made trigger group (3)
3. US made muzzle brake (1)
Total 5 US made parts

Or you can use US made furniture, stock, handguards and pistol grip count as three.

peepshowal
05-26-2009, 6:05 PM

Yes, U.S. made parts almost always say U.S. on them.

truthseeker
05-26-2009, 6:51 PM
I have a friend that wants to sell me an ARSENAL SA-93 without any pistol grip on it right now.

On the side of the receiver it says Arsenal and then it has an address that says:

DUNAV INT’L
LYNNWOOD, WA

However under that it says MADE IN BULGARIA.

The receiver, top dust cover, bolt, bolt carrier, all have the same serial number on them.

So, what is the easiest way to make it 922r compliant?

truthseeker
05-26-2009, 6:52 PM
Also, this probably needs to be moved to the "centerfile rifle" category.

SJgunguy24
05-26-2009, 7:15 PM
I have a friend that wants to sell me an ARSENAL SA-93 without any pistol grip on it right now.

On the side of the receiver it says Arsenal and then it has an address that says:

DUNAV INTíL
LYNNWOOD, WA

However under that it says MADE IN BULGARIA.

The receiver, top dust cover, bolt, bolt carrier, all have the same serial number on them.

So, what is the easiest way to make it 922r compliant?

USA manufactured fire control group(3 parts) and stock set(2 parts)

I would also think about changing the pistol grip to a MMG to keep the standard mags (30's) You might wanna check the list, i'm sure there is a couple of arsenal rifles that are listed.