PDA

View Full Version : Question About Fit of Barrel Nut On Upper

Cnynrat
05-26-2009, 8:41 AM
I am in the process of building my first AR15 upper from scratch. I have a CMMG upper and will be using a Daniel Defense Lite rail on it. In test fitting the Daniel Defense barrel nut on the upper (without the barrel or rail) I noticed that the nut threads on easily for about 1-1/2 turns and then becomes very difficult to turn by hand. I haven't gotten the proprietary Daniel Defense wrench yet, so I'm not sure how easy or difficult it will be to get it on any further with the wrench. I should add that to the eye the threads on both the nut and the upper look fine.

Is this normal?

bartt
05-26-2009, 3:32 PM
In my limited experience, it should thread on by hand without any difficulty. Check to make sure everything is clean, it doesn't take much for a little dirt to get in there and cause some grief. Perhaps a light brushing with an old toothbrush will clean out the threads.
HTH..

joelukehart
05-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Don't force it or use a pipe wrench. Wait for the DD wrench and use a little wd-40.While you are waiting, make sure the thread pitch matches up (threads per inch and ID,OD.)

bartt
05-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Don't force it or use a pipe wrench. Wait for the DD wrench and use a little wd-40.While you are waiting, make sure the thread pitch matches up (threads per inch and ID,OD.)

The threads should match, they are after-all standardized. I would not use WD40 here, it is not a lubricant, it is a water displacer (WD)..
The instructions I have read all say to use a quality grease on the nut when barreling the rifle to avoid gauling the threads.

Rust
05-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Bartt's right, you're better off with a high pressure grease than oil for that. Or anitsieze compound. It's possible the anodizing is a little thick on the threads and that's whats hanging it up. If it were mine I would grease it up, get the proper wrench, and work it back and forth without putting a ton of pressure on it to see if it works its way on to the point where you can lock the barrel down.

Cnynrat
05-29-2009, 7:58 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I got the special DD wrench, and with a little grease on the threads the barrel nut went on pretty easily.

joelukehart
05-30-2009, 10:27 PM
The threads should match, they are after-all standardized. I would not use WD40 here, it is not a lubricant, it is a water displacer (WD)..
The instructions I have read all say to use a quality grease on the nut when barreling the rifle to avoid gauling the threads.
I mean't WD-40 just for test fitting so it would thread on all the way.