PDA

View Full Version : transfering from deceased friend

bigworm
05-26-2009, 3:17 AM
I very recently learned that a very close friend and member of this board has past-away in a horrible accident.

His widow has offered me his gun collection, no RAW or preban stuff just very sentimental rifles and pistols to me. From searching, i understand family members are able to take ownership from a deceased family member by filing an intra-family form for pistols. I dont know if this is required for marriages.

However, even tho he was my brother from another mother, there's no legal relation. How can we legally transfer his entire collection without it being a huge legal burden on his widow?

As an added but secondary issue, he may have had a few rifles at an FFL (10day waiting)...

Turbinator
05-26-2009, 7:05 AM
Very sorry to hear of your loss, not sure if you are willing to share the Calguns name of the member but it is always sad to hear of a loss of one of our own members.

Since you guys are not legally related otherwise as direct family, it sounds like the only way to get the firearms in your legal possession is to conduct multiple transfers at an FFL. I just don't see any other way around it. Fortunately, PPT's don't get hit by the 1 in 30 day rule for handguns.

Turby

domokun
05-26-2009, 7:36 AM
Very sorry to hear of your loss, not sure if you are willing to share the Calguns name of the member but it is always sad to hear of a loss of one of our own members.

Since you guys are not legally related otherwise as direct family, it sounds like the only way to get the firearms in your legal possession is to conduct multiple transfers at an FFL. I just don't see any other way around it. Fortunately, PPT's don't get hit by the 1 in 30 day rule for handguns.

Turby

However, the bright side of it is that you can PPT multiple long guns (shotguns/rifles) as the FFL is willing to put onto one DROS for PPT. Handguns must be done one per DROS per PPT.

bwiese
05-26-2009, 8:20 AM
I very recently learned that a very close friend and member of this board has past-away in a horrible accident.

His widow has offered me his gun collection, no RAW or preban stuff just very sentimental rifles and pistols to me. From searching, i understand family members are able to take ownership from a deceased family member by filing an intra-family form for pistols. I dont know if this is required for marriages.

However, even tho he was my brother from another mother, there's no legal relation. How can we legally transfer his entire collection without it being a huge legal burden on his widow?

As an added but secondary issue, he may have had a few rifles at an FFL (10day waiting)...

The executor of the estate can transfer the guns in one lump-sum "mass PPT" to you. The handguns do not have to be Rostered, and you can do more than "one-handgun-a-month".

Now, I'm a bit foggy on Operation of Law details - perhaps an FFL isn't even needed on this estate matter. It certainly wouldn't be if they were directly left to you (you'd just have to file OpLaw forms + $19/handgun fee with DOJ BoF, and the rifles would be paper-free). I'll look it up later when I have time.

bigworm
05-26-2009, 9:51 AM
The executor of the estate can transfer the guns in one lump-sum "mass PPT" to you. The handguns do not have to be Rostered, and you can do more than "one-handgun-a-month".

Now, I'm a bit foggy on Operation of Law details - perhaps an FFL isn't even needed on this estate matter. It certainly wouldn't be if they were directly left to you (you'd just have to file OpLaw forms + $19/handgun fee with DOJ BoF, and the rifles would be paper-free). I'll look it up later when I have time.

I did some more research as well, i wish he had left a will, but no.

Kestryll
05-26-2009, 10:02 AM

I am very sorry to hear this, my prayers are with his Wife and family.

If you would can you PM me his Calguns username?