PDA

View Full Version : WTB: M1 Carbine in Rough Condition

BackwardBender
05-26-2009, 12:23 AM
http://scottyparker.com/underwood/underwood_main/entire_both_sides.jpg

Hey guys, I'm getting into firearms after years away from ROTC and am seeking an extensive project for restoration. I'm keen on finding a pretty rough M1 that would otherwise be tossed as a parts gun. I'm new to the site, so bear with me on any sluggishness on my part. As long as the carbine is intact, I'm content because this would be a gradual restoration.

coop44
05-26-2009, 8:17 AM
nice photo of an early carbine. I hope you still have it. Depending on whether you want to build an "as issued" or"as manufactured" rifle and the era you would like to emulate, It can be done. The days of finding a real G.I. carbine for cheap are pretty much over. Pick up Craig Reisch's Book (I may have butchered his last name)I met him when he was compiling his book, really good info there.

The way I would go is buy a reciever. They are currently out there for 300 and up, the only difficult part to find is a good barrel. Expect to pay dearly (200-500) for a really good ww2 barrel.

All of the other parts are available. Either new or reproduction, The early barrel bands and sights are almost always repro don't get scammed.

Round bolts are not m2 bolts they are "revision" bolts.

3 types of rear sights
3types of barrel bands
3types of bolts
2 types of handguards
4 types of stocks
3 different hammers
2 different safeties

and more that don't come to mind right now

any questions

windsheer
05-26-2009, 9:16 AM
I have an auto ordnace m1 carbine that I 'll sell for you for $400.00 it won't run on california 10 round mags , drives me nuts, perhaps you can make it run . From what I understand the parts interchange , I think.

coop44
05-26-2009, 11:15 AM
By the way I have parts kits, all the metal parts, WW2 vintage all new parts, except for the new chrome lined barrel which is vietman era GI w/fsn on bottom.no wood.

BackwardBender
05-26-2009, 3:34 PM
On this carbine, I'm not obsessing over period authenticity. In fact, I'm aiming at a later low-grade reproduction for an analysis alongside a Mosin-Nagent M44. The mass-scale and fairly low-quality of the Mosins you find at sport shops interest me because of their basement-grade. The Mosin is simply a hobby, but the carbine is something more. My love is for the Garand, which I used frequently in ROTC. But Garands of all variations are simply too high for me.

Bear with me guys, I'm looking for under $200.

BackwardBender
05-26-2009, 3:39 PM
https://www.northcapepubs.com/M1CarbinecoverSGNcolor.jpg

nice photo of an early carbine. I hope you still have it. Depending on whether you want to build an "as issued" or"as manufactured" rifle and the era you would like to emulate, It can be done. The days of finding a real G.I. carbine for cheap are pretty much over. Pick up Craig Reisch's Book (I may have butchered his last name)I met him when he was compiling his book, really good info there.

The way I would go is buy a reciever. They are currently out there for 300 and up, the only difficult part to find is a good barrel. Expect to pay dearly (200-500) for a really good ww2 barrel.

All of the other parts are available. Either new or reproduction, The early barrel bands and sights are almost always repro don't get scammed.

Round bolts are not m2 bolts they are "revision" bolts.

3 types of rear sights
3types of barrel bands
3types of bolts
2 types of handguards
4 types of stocks
3 different hammers
2 different safeties

and more that don't come to mind right now

any questions

I appreciate the advice. I'm looking at used copies. I'm posting another thread on recommended restoration manuals.

coop44
05-26-2009, 3:59 PM
I have an extra tm or 2, a little beat up but I would be glad to just send them to you. They are duplicates.

the carbine is a pretty simple gun. go talk to the guys at the armory of orange on tustin ave in orange , I haven't been down there in years,but, they can be your best source in the area.

BackwardBender
05-26-2009, 6:01 PM
I'm completely open to them. Any chance you can post an image?