PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to drop mags at the range if you use a tool / bullet?

slik442
05-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Ive got an ar and was just wondering if I can do this without problems. Is there a definite yes or no, or is this a gray area. Thanks --------The rifle is a ca legal build with a BB, and the mags are all 10 rounders

Millions-Knives
05-25-2009, 11:25 PM
Erm, it is required for a CA compliant OLL build. However, there are no guarantees you won't draw any negative attention, just be safe and keep to yourself. There are some good stickies around here.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186405

for some good tips.

oaklander
05-25-2009, 11:25 PM
If you have a "bullet button" it is perfectly fine to drop the magazine. If you have a "Prince 50" it is not OK to drop that magazine.

Remember that with either of the above, you must only use magazines that are 10 rounds or less.

KaTooM
05-25-2009, 11:26 PM
I use a tool when know one is looking.... :beatdeadhorse5:

glockwise2000
05-25-2009, 11:28 PM
The BB would suffice the definition of locked mags. The law states that you need to use a tool, a bullet in this case, to drop your mag. If you are using those fixed ones, like P50" don't even think of backing up the screw.

bluestaterebel
05-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Ive got an ar and was just wondering if I can do this without problems. Is there a definite yes or no, or is this a gray area. Thanks

YES! if you got bullet button

Josh3239
05-25-2009, 11:49 PM
That is the point of the bullet button :rolleyes:

If it weren't legal we'd still be using the regular locks that couldn't remove the magazine without complete disassembly of the mag catch. Seriously, what would be the point of having a lock that can drop the mag with a tool but it wouldn't be legal?

skkeeter
05-25-2009, 11:57 PM
:banghead:Please read up and understand the laws before you take it shooting anywhere. I can't believe how many people go out and buy guns without knowing what the laws are pertaining to their weapons.

Turbinator
05-26-2009, 7:38 AM
I use a tool when know one is looking....

Presumably with your BB build, yes?

Turby

calixt0
05-26-2009, 7:42 AM
I was at a range this weekend and they insisted that during a cease fire the action not only be open but the mag get dropped...

Turbinator
05-26-2009, 7:45 AM
I was at a range this weekend and they insisted that during a cease fire the action not only be open but the mag get dropped...

Yup. The only thing that would make it even "better" is the use of a chamber flag made for the AR. Then, you *know* that the chamber is empty upon first glance.

Turby

oldrifle
05-26-2009, 7:49 AM

Same thing happened to me but I use a bullet button so I think it's fine to drop the mag. If I had a locked mag, I would have just told the range master that I can't drop it and had him visually check to see the mag was empty. I think that's fine.

lrdchivalry
05-26-2009, 8:13 AM
I have never had a problem dropping the mag on my BB equipped rifle.

The only times I have ever been questioned about my rifles are by people interested in getting one. Learn the laws and make sure your comfortable explaining them. Although not required I also keep a binder with me containing all the relavent laws to show the legality of my rifles.

bombadillo
05-26-2009, 8:14 AM
Please look up UCLAplinker on here and read thoroughly through his sig. Then go to the initial page at www.calguns.net And read through the AR/AK memo and read it twice or a hundred times. Then ask questions.

4 Brigada
05-26-2009, 8:29 AM
I try not to drop magazines they cost money:). Besides firefights are frowned upon and are not permited a the range I shoot at, so I have all the time in the world to reload my AR ,FAL or AK:rolleyes:

Darklyte27
05-26-2009, 9:07 AM
No you must load your rifle before you leave your house, goto the range shoot 10 rds and leave.
Return home reload and do it all over again... JK

of course you can drop mags if you have a rifle configured correctly with a bullet button.

aplinker
05-26-2009, 9:28 AM
You're all going to jail.

AR-15s are illegal in California.

lrdchivalry
05-26-2009, 10:46 AM
You're all going to jail.

AR-15s are illegal in California.

LOL :p

Cal-Irish
05-26-2009, 11:07 AM
I was dropping it like it was hot with every kind of tool imaginable.

BB + tool = Dropped Mag

KaTooM
05-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Presumably with your BB build, yes?

Turby

Yes!

eroberts88
05-26-2009, 11:47 AM
I was dropping it like it was hot with every kind of tool imaginable.

..sounds like a personal problem...:43:

wutzu
05-26-2009, 1:26 PM
Same thing happened to me but I use a bullet button so I think it's fine to drop the mag. If I had a locked mag, I would have just told the range master that I can't drop it and had him visually check to see the mag was empty. I think that's fine.

Or you shotgun the action and pull the bolt carrier back. No possible way it can fire in that configuration, even with a magazine locked in. That's what I did when I had the sporting conversions mag-lock.