PDA

View Full Version : Front sight post almost maxed out - taller post?

high_revs
05-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Been going back to iron sights. I thought when I shot my RRA 20" at 100 yrd it wasn't so high by past the ears. It's still shooting a tad high @ 25 and 50. Do they make taller posts so you don't run out of turns? Just worried this thing will suddenly pop-out tomorrow at the range (yay! playtime on a weekday day off). Using same ammo too for last 2-3 months.

I'm trying to learn more iron sight shooting so playing between 25 and 50, and then back to 100 to understand number of adjustments and what not in between (though in another thread I read, it seems to be 1.25 moa per 1/4 turn). Sticking to those numbers for now since there's only 2 local ranges that have 200 yrds and 1 of them is only on Fridays which is a work day.

Even better, are there tall sights with tritiums? not really needing it for night shooting (unless it's shtf), but I have a hard time differentiating the circle target with the post sometimes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/goldenset/oll/IMG_0261.jpg

slick_711
05-25-2009, 11:34 PM
Damn that's the most jacked up front sight I've ever seen. :confused:

You did adjust your rear sight properly right? Your rear sight needs to be not only adjusted for shooting at 25 yards, but also bottomed out 2 to 4 turns depending on barrel length.

ETA:

http://ar15zeroing.com/

I prefer the third method.

Richie Caketown
05-25-2009, 11:38 PM
i agree you need to adjust the rear also (if applicable) . If not buy a Matech from Paladin here on the forums .

try this too

http://www.bobdbob.com/~deneb/doc/targets/m16a2-25m-zero.pdf

aermotor
05-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Yea something tells me that's not right... there's a few methods out there for adjusting your rear sight so it's actually lower than should be if you want to zero at 100 yards, I forget where this has been documented, somewhere here and on AR15.com — there are better sights than the stock ones though that are taller, but I'd adjust your rear sight if you don't plan to shoot a lot further.

high_revs
05-25-2009, 11:45 PM
I have a rear folding Troy battlesight. I thought that's not height adjustable? Both my front and rear sights are Troy folding battle sights.

aplinker
05-26-2009, 12:40 AM
I have a rear folding Troy battlesight. I thought that's not height adjustable? Both my front and rear sights are Troy folding battle sights.

Any chance the front sight is mounted on a gas block?

high_revs
05-26-2009, 7:26 AM
Any chance the front sight is mounted on a gas block?
yes it is uclaplinker. are there expected issues from a front sight mounted on a gas block? i've not come across a thread about it. if any, i thought that's what people recommended in past threads here when people don't like the standard A2 front sight.

IPSICK
05-26-2009, 7:58 AM
I'm still a bit of a noob so hopefully uclaplinker can clarify with more info, but yes it can be a problem if the front sight is mounted on the gas block. Some front sights will only work with a flat top rail mounted rear sight if they are mounted at the same height as the rear (i.e. on the forearm).

TZL
05-26-2009, 8:20 AM
There are two types of front sights, one for rails and one for glass blocks

Gas-block types are taller b/c the gas block is lower than a std rail height

There might be certain gas blocks that are top rail height, like PWS piston gas blocks, but most are lower than the rail, you most likely have the wrong front sight

yes it is uclaplinker. are there expected issues from a front sight mounted on a gas block? i've not come across a thread about it. if any, i thought that's what people recommended in past threads here when people don't like the standard A2 front sight.

aplinker
05-26-2009, 8:26 AM

yes... Troy doesn't make a front sight for gas blocks. It's meant to be mounted on a rail, which is at the same height as the flat top.

That's why you're up so high.

You'll need a front sight for gas block height.

high_revs
05-26-2009, 7:15 PM
I just checked it and brought out the level. jeez, the front site gas block was somewhere between 1/4" to 1/2" lower! :eek: thanks for the info guys. I learned something new today I've not come across at all!

Looking around my bookmark and our sponsors, looks like it between Yankee Hill, Samson, Midwest Industries and GG&G (GG&G is way expensive though)? I'd like to get low profile folding sights like my Troys (front & rear) hence it seems I'm a little limited.

I have other ARs being put together so I'll just migrate the current troys I have to those ones. Oddly, I shot it at 100 yds today and I was in the 8" shoot-n-c. couldn't really tell the grouping since i tattoed the target with my marlin 795/22lr. But looking at the dust clouds and stuff, and no other holes on paper, i figure that's where I was. :)

aplinker
05-26-2009, 7:31 PM
You have the post adjusted up enough it probably is working, but the ears aren't protecting the sight post, nor does it look like your post is going to stay put and not just turn freely.

You might want to consider a gas block with a flip-up or fixed sight.

high_revs
05-26-2009, 7:36 PM
yep... doing some online window shopping now uclaplinker. not too many folding front sights over gas blocks though. seems only 4 manufacturers make them from 30 mins internet search (named above). hopefully soon. i'm having a kick using irons sights instead these past 2 weeks. :)

elrcastor
05-27-2009, 6:12 AM
if you have railed hand guards you can mount the sight you have on them

unamused
05-27-2009, 6:22 AM
i know this is going to sound dumb but im having a lot of trouble adjusting my front sight on the magpul BUS. Is there a trick to adjusting it?