PDA

View Full Version : Does Gun Control Benefit LE?

DSeifert
05-25-2009, 9:43 PM
I did a search, but could not find any reference to this article, sorry if this is a dupe.
I found this article on Officer.com. I'm wondering how many LEO's here on CG's side with the author and those that side with the commentor "Simon". Comments?

http://www.officer.com/interactive/2009/05/21/does-gun-control-benefit-le/

StudioDison
05-25-2009, 10:16 PM
no, it takes away business.

CABilly
05-25-2009, 10:28 PM
I agree with Simon's last point. That's about it.

CCWFacts
05-25-2009, 10:32 PM

That's right. Lots of cops do side-gigs or work during retirement and get benefit from all their LE gun law exemptions. Armed bodyguard work is a lot less lucrative if a state is shall-issue, for example.

I would say that a lot of "working" cops are pro-gun rights. There are also many who don't know much about guns, don't like them, and don't care about them. So it's a mix.

RRangel
05-25-2009, 10:44 PM
This brings up another question. Is there a different monetary issue? It would seem obvious that the largest group of individuals that have received the privilege of ccw issuance in this state are police. It also appears that those who have received this privilege are able to work the most high paying private jobs that require ccw.

CCWFacts
05-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Oh the other factor is pure political convenience: police unions are strongly Democratic (esp. in this state) and it sure helps the Dems advance a gun control agenda if they can get Police Chief So-and-so to make statements about how "we need to get these guns off our streets". It's not that the chiefs actually believe this, but it helps their allies, who help them with generous contracts.

dreyna14
05-25-2009, 11:30 PM
People need to learn that the first line of defense against criminal activity isn't the police, it's the general public. When people are able to prevent crimes and uphold laws then less crime occurs. When people are afraid of repercussions of standing up to gangbangers and drug dealers, for example, as a result of being defenseless, crime surges. This is exactly what happens in pretty much every run down bad neighborhood around.

spddrcr
05-25-2009, 11:55 PM
People need to learn that the first line of defense against criminal activity isn't the police, it's the general public. When people are able to prevent crimes and uphold laws then less crime occurs. When people are afraid of repercussions of standing up to gangbangers and drug dealers, for example, as a result of being defenseless, crime surges. This is exactly what happens in pretty much every run down bad neighborhood around.

while i do agree with you i also understand why people are afraid of the repercussions of dealing with gangbangers and scumbags. the home invasion I went through last year was in direct relation to a couple of high level gangbangers i had put in jail the year before. If i had left on my trip that i backed out of last minute cause it didnt feel right there's no telling if my 2 young sons and wife would be alive today. how does a person deal with something like that for the rest of their lives? I dont know how i would have ever gotten through an event like that if it did happen:confused:

there are definetly reasons people dont say anything and dont prosecute crimes against them, some people believe there lives will be better for not ratting out the thug that just robbed them, hell one of the gangbangers i put in jail actually stabbed his neighbor in a dispute over loud music being played yet wouldnt file charges against the guy who did the stabbing even though he almost died from it:mad:

gunsmith
05-26-2009, 12:04 AM
My brother is a NY cop, gets 60+ an hour sometimes for "executive protection"...
He isn't pro shall issue at all, he doesn't trust the general public all that much.
He often won't carry off duty either-this way he can have a beer and if he see's a crime he doesn't have to get involved.

pullnshoot25
05-26-2009, 1:21 AM
Depends on the viewpoint of the interviewer and interviewee. You could ask a Montana sheriff and a Gestapo agent the same thing and get two different results.

GuyW
05-26-2009, 1:47 AM
while i do agree with you i also understand why people are afraid of the repercussions of dealing with gangbangers and scumbags. the home invasion I went through last year was in direct relation to a couple of high level gangbangers i had put in jail the year before. If i had left on my trip that i backed out of last minute cause it didnt feel right there's no telling if my 2 young sons and wife would be alive today. how does a person deal with something like that for the rest of their lives? I dont know how i would have ever gotten through an event like that if it did happen:confused:

there are definetly reasons people dont say anything and dont prosecute crimes against them, some people believe there lives will be better for not ratting out the thug that just robbed them, hell one of the gangbangers i put in jail actually stabbed his neighbor in a dispute over loud music being played yet wouldnt file charges against the guy who did the stabbing even though he almost died from it:mad:

sig line

trinydex
05-26-2009, 7:48 AM

wow... that's extreme.

is there more on this story?

N6ATF
05-26-2009, 9:32 AM

+100

cadurand
05-26-2009, 11:12 AM
Here's what will eventually happen:

After all the dust settles and we end up with shall issue in California a restriction will be allowed:

Something to the tune of: Weapon cannot be carried as part of paid labor or something else. Basically making it a crime to get paid to carry a weapon. That will be deemed "reasonable" since only professionally trained officers are qualified to do this type of work.

Not that I agree with it but I can see it happenning.

tonelar
05-26-2009, 11:25 AM
to a man, every SFPD working officer Ive met is Pro 2A.
Understanding the limitation of their job duties has a lot to do with it.

They can't be everywhere at once.

trinydex
05-26-2009, 11:26 AM
are you sfpd?

N6ATF
05-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Here's what will eventually happen:

After all the dust settles and we end up with shall issue in California a restriction will be allowed:

Something to the tune of: Weapon cannot be carried as part of paid labor or something else. Basically making it a crime to get paid to carry a weapon. That will be deemed "reasonable" since only professionally trained officers are qualified to do this type of work.

Not that I agree with it but I can see it happenning.

I don't. Owners can currently carry within their places of business and authorize employees to do so (as long as their primary job function is not that of security guard, then the state wants $$$ to pay for their lame regulatory system). Since private property seems to be the most-protected arena for 2A, this would trigger a hellstorm in our already lowest-ranked for business state. It would be essentially be a declaration of war, forcing them to sacrifice their own lives, and not just their revenue anymore.

Fjold
05-26-2009, 12:04 PM
to a man, every SFPD working officer Ive met is Pro 2A.
Understanding the limitation of their job duties has a lot to do with it.

They can't be everywhere at once.

Iggy works for SFPD

626Tony
05-26-2009, 12:05 PM
VOTE JUST VOTE!!

GuyW
05-26-2009, 12:06 PM
I don't. Owners can currently carry within their places of business and authorize employees to do so (as long as their primary job function is not that of security guard, then the state wants $$$ to pay for their lame regulatory system). Since private property seems to be the most-protected arena for 2A, this would trigger a hellstorm in our already lowest-ranked for business state. It would be essentially be a declaration of war, forcing them to sacrifice their own lives, and not just their revenue anymore.

Its not legal to carry in your business...read the Penal Code. Anybody carrying a loaded gun in a biz is violating the PC.

N6ATF
05-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Cite.

GuyW
05-26-2009, 1:06 PM
Cite.

Old discussion, search CalGuns.

PC 12031 h) Nothing in this section shall prevent any person engaged in any lawful business, including a nonprofit organization, or any officer, employee, or agent authorized by that person for lawful purposes connected with that business, from having a loaded firearm within the person's place of business, or any person in lawful possession of private property from [/b]having[/b] a loaded firearm on that property.

Overturf case: Have doesn't mean carry.

trinydex
05-26-2009, 1:12 PM
what does it mean then?

GuyW
05-26-2009, 1:13 PM
what does it mean then?

It means have it laying somewhere that you can grab it.

trinydex
05-26-2009, 1:17 PM
once you grab it... what does that mean?

Nessal
05-26-2009, 1:32 PM
My brother is a NY cop, gets 60+ an hour sometimes for "executive protection"...
He isn't pro shall issue at all, he doesn't trust the general public all that much.
He often won't carry off duty either-this way he can have a beer and if he see's a crime he doesn't have to get involved.

If that was my brother i would smack him. Especially the last line; that just took it away.

N6ATF
05-26-2009, 1:33 PM
Funny that over 30+ years of people openly carrying in their own businesses has not resulted in 30+ years of constant arrests.