PDA

View Full Version : Painted My Trademark Markings Yesterday

Alanski56
05-25-2009, 10:22 PM
I figured I would personalize and break up the black on one of my ARs yesterday and am just wondering what some of you might think. It's not perfect but I'm happy with it over all. I just used some Testors red and white paint and tooth picks. When I was finished I used some Testors paint brush cleaner and some 6" cotton tipped applicators that I purchased from Brownell's to gently remove the over runs. The cotton on these applicators is wound pretty tight so you don't get all of the fibers coming off like you do with regular Q-Tips. I flattened the cotton tips and barely dipped the tips into the paint cleaner so I wouldn't get it into the lettering. After that was finished I did the same with a small amount of CLP to bring back out the black around the lettering. Anyway, I'm happy with the results.

Have a nice evening.

Richie Caketown
05-25-2009, 10:25 PM
where did you get that lower from? it looks nice ...

Alanski56
05-25-2009, 10:38 PM
where did you get that lower from? it looks nice ...

Good evening Richie,

Thank you!

I bought the lower stripped from the San Jose Gun Exchange in San Jose. I assembled the lower and dropped in a Chip McCormick single stage "drop-in" trigger assembly, added the KNS pins, Rock River Star Safety Selector, standard collapsible stock, CAA Stock Saddle, CQD single point sling attachment, etc.

The upper is a Rock River mid-length with their version of the QD carry handle. I recently added the Daniel Defense Omega 9.0 Two Piece quad rail. A Yankee Hill Harris Bi-Pod adaptor sits between the rail and bi-pod (just for range sessions). I added accessories as I've gone along but it's a fairly basic set up (by design). All it needs now is an EO Tech, which might be coming for Father's Day (wish, wish).

Have a nice evening.

mvpatriot
05-25-2009, 11:03 PM
looks great, cool poster too!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24125&d=1243315258

slick_711
05-25-2009, 11:08 PM
Good Evening Alan,

THAT LOOKS LIKE A RIGHT PROPER MAN'S GARAGE! I'm jealous. The rifle looks great, I like the way the painted markings came out. :)

Alanski56
05-25-2009, 11:10 PM
looks great, cool poster too!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24125&d=1243315258

Thank you!

Call Hornady and Nosler and they shouldn't have any problem mailing you one of each. Sierra even mailed me a nice counter mat for just asking. I informed each company that I have used and will continue to use thousands of each manufacturers bullets. Perhaps that helped! Nice folks all around.

Have a nice evening.

Alanski56
05-25-2009, 11:37 PM
Good Evening Alan,

THAT LOOKS LIKE A RIGHT PROPER MAN'S GARAGE! I'm jealous. The rifle looks great, I like the way the painted markings came out. :)

Good evening Slick,

Thank you for the kind words and thank you to the other posters for your positive feedback as well. The funny thing is when I finished the rifle yesterday I was really on the fence as to whether or not I actually liked it. I kept taking it out of the safe and asking my wife and daughter if they really thought it turned out decent. They kept telling me it did and today I like it. It can still use a little cleaning up around some of the lettering but you wouldn't know unless you looked really close. After about two hours of doing this yesterday I started missing the mark. Fortunately I was pretty much done by then so I stopped where I was at. Tedious is a good word to use.

As far as my garage, yeah! The wifee and kidlets have a clear understanding; the house may be theirs but the garage is mine and mine alone and it damn well better be in the same condition when they leave as it was when they entered. To the left of the picture the rest of the wall is populated with stickers and decorations from Rock River, Winchester, Ruger, Glock, Calguns, Daniel Defense, Wiley X, Streamlight, Sig Sauer, 5.11 Tactical, RCBS, Mossy Oak, AR15, 556, 762, My reloading equipment, gun cleaning supplies, etc., etc. I love my garage! It feels so much like home! It's so "me" and I obviously spend a lot of time in there. Anyway, thank you for noticing!

Have a nice evening.

slick_711
05-26-2009, 12:09 AM
I hope to someday have a garage like that. At the moment I have no garage at all, and don't want to settle into a garage until I think I'm at a house that I'll stay in. Moving houses/apartments/dorms/barracks... that's no big deal, but settling in to a garage... well, that's serious business. I haven't felt at home in any garage since I left my parents' house and the garage I shared with my Dad. :rolleyes:

I have day dreams of a "garage" (more likely a basement) in my future, with half of it setup much like yours is with tools, reloading supplies, gun memorabilia, and a safe. And then the other half with a comfy couch, a kegerator, and a TV. Maybe a pool table.

I'm seriously debating moving to TX just so I can make this happen sooner in life.