PDA

View Full Version : Help: Vltor Stock with AR Stoner Buffer Tube - Doesnt fit

1FSTREX
05-25-2009, 4:06 PM
Hey guys,

So i am absolutely baffled. I have a Mil-Spec AR Stoner M4 stock and buffer tube installed on my AR right now. I bought a Vltor Enhanced Modstock, in milspec and went to install it only to find out it doesnt fit. The buffer tube is either too large in diameter or the vltor stock is too narrow. It literally slid on about 2 inches and got stuck, it would not come off or slide farther. It was not until 5 or 10 well placed hammer hits that the stock slowly and rather forcefully came off. Am i doing something wrong here or missing something? Are Vltor stocks only computable with Vltor buffer tubes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Will

jumbopanda
05-25-2009, 4:07 PM
Sounds like the tube is out of spec.

ParallaxTactical.com
05-25-2009, 4:08 PM
99% it's that the buffer tube is commercial. Are you 100% sure it's milspec? :chris:

Let me know if you need a mil-spec tube! :thumbsup:

1FSTREX
05-25-2009, 4:10 PM
99% it's that the buffer tube is commercial. Are you 100% sure it's milspec? :chris:

Let me know if you need a mil-spec tube! :thumbsup:

The damn store told me it was milspec. ill check the original packaging to see if it says otherwise.

What portion of the buffer tube do i measure? the back or the threads?

ParallaxTactical.com
05-25-2009, 4:18 PM
If it was under ~$40, most likely it's commercial. :/

I believe you need to measure the OD.

Milspec = 1.146"OD

aplinker
05-25-2009, 6:59 PM
http://www.uscav.com/prodinfo/pdfs/BufferTube.pdf

1FSTREX
05-25-2009, 7:34 PM
http://www.uscav.com/prodinfo/pdfs/BufferTube.pdf

Thank you that was very helpful

old-trapper
05-25-2009, 9:08 PM
I have ran into this a few times. some of the tubes measure but have a radius shoulder along the rail that makes them tight. I have not had that problem with the high end ones you are talking about but on the commercial side. For instance i know the rra can be picky with other commercial tubes.
If you end up selling the mil spec tube Ill buy it.