PDA

View Full Version : Tritium Night Sights vs Red Dots

HighDesert
05-25-2009, 12:02 PM
I used Aimpoint Red Dots for a few years, and they worked great. But now that I have to actaully pay for my own gear, I am thinking carefully about how Id like to set up my rifle.

Possible courses of action, all in addition to a taclight
tritium night sights (Is washout ever an issue?)
Aimpoint T1 variant (or Clone)
Sumthin' else

Any one have any practical feedback concerning tirtium sights on a rifle? Pros and Cons? What do ya'll think?

God Bless The Mauser
05-25-2009, 1:01 PM
Tritium will last a lot longer than batteries. I have tritium sights on my Yugo AKs but they are the originals so they don't have much brightness left. Red dot would be a little easier and quicker to sight at night though. Having used both at iron sights and red dots at night I prefer red dot. You should consider a Trijicon ACOG scope.

aplinker
05-25-2009, 6:51 PM
I used Aimpoint Red Dots for a few years, and they worked great. But now that I have to actaully pay for my own gear, I am thinking carefully about how Id like to set up my rifle.

Possible courses of action, all in addition to a taclight
tritium night sights (Is washout ever an issue?)
Aimpoint T1 variant (or Clone)
Sumthin' else

Any one have any practical feedback concerning tirtium sights on a rifle? Pros and Cons? What do ya'll think?

Are you referring to something like the Trijicon Reflex, or do you mean actual night sights?

If you mean real night sights, they will only be visible at very low light.

The Reflex has pretty much been supplanted by Aimpoints and EOTechs across the board.

If you don't use NV, I suggest the Aimpoint H-1 Micro. It's hard to beat - especially since you're accustomed to the AP. They're just so worth the money.

HighDesert
05-26-2009, 4:57 AM
Thanks for the input so far.

As far as "night sights" go, I am refering to tritium front sight posts / rear aperatures. My theory is that they could work pretty well coupled with a tac-light.

If budget was no obect, I would slap on an Aimpoint H1/T1 without looking back.

I am also considering a Millet DMS, but am not too excited about it's size.

B Strong
05-26-2009, 5:14 AM
Thanks for the input so far.

As far as "night sights" go, I am refering to tritium front sight posts / rear aperatures. My theory is that they could work pretty well coupled with a tac-light.

If budget was no obect, I would slap on an Aimpoint H1/T1 without looking back.

I am also considering a Millet DMS, but am not too excited about it's size.

I have a set of G. G. & G. tritiums, and like them.

It gives you a chance to index the sights before you hit the light to illuminate your target.