PDA

View Full Version : WTB Mosin Nagant M1891 (1918 or OLDER)

bruinz@earthlink.net
05-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Hi All,

I'm looking for a Russian made Mosin Nagant M1891 rifle, only catch is it has to be older than 1918. I prefer one from the Tula armory, but will definitely consider other Russian armories as well.

I'm in the Los Angeles area.

I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks in advance.

More later...

Z.

FinnCollector
05-28-2009, 2:18 AM
You want one with Czarist proofs?

fd15k
05-28-2009, 6:11 PM
Wow! I wonder if there are such in circulation...

bruinz@earthlink.net
05-29-2009, 12:38 AM
I just want one from this time period for "historical" purposes.

The proofs are important... I don't want one with the markings scraped off or altered, like the Finnish ones seem to have done.

Thanks in advance.

More later...

Z.

FinnCollector
05-29-2009, 12:58 AM
I just want one from this time period for "historical" purposes.

The proofs are important... I don't want one with the markings scraped off or altered, like the Finnish ones seem to have done.

Thanks in advance.

More later...

Z.

Has nothing to do with the Finns...has to do with the Reds re-arsenaling a Czarist-era rifle and scrubbing the eagles. Quite common...

bruinz@earthlink.net
05-29-2009, 8:55 AM
You learn something every day.

So in that case... yes, I would be looking for the Czarist markings.

By the way... what does it mean to be "SA" stamped or marked? Does it mean that the rifle in question was made in Russia and then used by the Finnish Army?

Would the Finnish Army have altered the Imperial Russian markings or would they have just added their own markings?

Thanks in advance.

More later...

Z.

FinnCollector
05-29-2009, 11:23 AM
You learn something every day.

So in that case... yes, I would be looking for the Czarist markings.

By the way... what does it mean to be "SA" stamped or marked? Does it mean that the rifle in question was made in Russia and then used by the Finnish Army?

SA means Suomi Army i.e. Finnish Army. All Mosin-Nagant M91 receivers (with the exception of the Chatterault and Remington/Westinghouse contract guns) are manufactured in Russia. Other countries may have captured them during wartime like the Finns, Turks, or the Austrians; or may have purchased them, like the Serbs and the Montenegrins and added their own proofs.

Would the Finnish Army have altered the Imperial Russian markings or would they have just added their own markings?

Generally, no. Most of the time you will not find scrubbed receivers like the Germans did. If you see a pre-revolution Mosin with the double-headed czarist eagles scrubbed off (with no new proofs added over the top), more than likely it was done by the communists on a re-arsenaling. It DID happen that the Finns ground the Imperial Russian proofs off, but many of the ones that I have are still intact.

Thanks in advance.

More later...

Z.

Hopefully that answers some of your questions.

FinnCollector
05-29-2009, 11:28 AM
http://mosinnagant.net/images/eagleptg.jpg