PDA

View Full Version : Hole in my receiver

scidx
05-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Was cleaning my weatherby vanguard today and noticed a small hole on the fore/ left side of the reciever. It is approx. in-line with the chamber or lug area. I can think of a couple reasons for this hole but am not sure. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

tango5
05-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Blow off port. It allows for excess pressure to escape if you happen to get a over powdered round. just kidding, i have no idea, lol. I hope someone knows what its for.

Midian
05-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Boy that thread header scared me for a moment, especially when I saw the term "blow off port".

*shudder*

ke6guj
05-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Blow off port. It allows for excess pressure to escape if you happen to get a over powdered round. just kidding, i have no idea, lol. I hope someone knows what its for.

without seeing a pic, you're actually probably correct. It is common to have a hole so that a pierced primer/failed case can vent out through that hole and not have to find the weakest link in the bolt.

tango5
05-25-2009, 11:10 AM
without seeing a pic, you're actually probably correct. It is common to have a hole so that a pierced primer/failed case can vent out through that hole and not have to find the weakest link in the bolt.

lol, i was taking a guess and making a joke at the same time, damn, i just might be a genius! I have been told i was a dumbas$, but i think people are wrong about me, lol.

Mssr. Eleganté
05-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Yep, it's a gas vent hole to lessen the effect of a blown primer or split casing.

scidx
05-25-2009, 11:47 AM
So, its a fail-safe?

God Bless The Mauser
05-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Lee Enfields have the same thing since there is nowhere else for the gas to go if a case ruptures.

X-NewYawker
05-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Yep, it's a gas vent hole to lessen the effect of a blown primer or split casing.

That hole, in combination with the magazine well, are the vents for the gas from a blown cartridge.

Theoretically keep it from blowing back through the firing pin hole and into your face.

Beelzy
05-25-2009, 5:12 PM
It's the rifle's Blow Hole alright.

It is actually meant to keep the rifle Bolt from entering the skull in the event of a case rupture.

Turbinator
05-26-2009, 8:47 AM
What's amazing is that a small hole that size would do enough to save the shooter from a catastrophe. I guess it works!

Turby