PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Mini 30 Education

MPizzlo
05-25-2009, 8:41 AM
Hello Calgunners!!

First off, I am a newb to the site, but have been referencing it for quite some time now. Thanks for your help!

I recently purchased a Mini 30 (used). I have been looking for muzzle brakes, and am noticing in forums that there is a difference between older and newer Mini 30's. Can anybody educate me on what these differences are? I have read it has to do with the mounting of the front site. I am very interested in a muzzle brake (Eagle w/ HK front site) but want to know if it will fit my rifle.

I have added some pictures of my rifle and front site just so you can see. Thanks a bunch in advance.

762cavalier
05-25-2009, 8:47 AM
I can't answer your specific questions, however if you go to this site they have a ton of info on the Ruger mini 14/30.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=86

Digital_Hate
05-25-2009, 11:24 AM
i dont know the differences but i know on mine it was hard to find mags. apparently there are 2 kinds. everything is the same except for the ridge on the back of the mag. there is a 1/16 difference in size.

bohoki
05-25-2009, 1:07 PM
in my experience they work best when left alone

i have not seen any evidence of commercial brakes for the mini-30 actually doing any good at reducing recoil

762cavalier
05-25-2009, 3:08 PM
in my experience they work best when left alone

i have not seen any evidence of commercial brakes for the mini-30 actually doing any good at reducing recoil

Actually the purpose of putting a brake on a mini isn't for recoil. it is to change the barrel harmonics to help with accuracy.

bohoki
05-25-2009, 3:52 PM
Actually the purpose of putting a brake on a mini isn't for recoil. it is to change the barrel harmonics to help with accuracy.

beware the snake oil

762cavalier
05-25-2009, 4:05 PM
Not quite Snake oil. Certainly not a cure all. Put one on my mini thirty and it did help shrink groups a bit. Still not perfect. Only way to make a mini accurate is to send it to ASI and have it rebarreled with a heavier barrel. Which absolutely does work.:thumbsup:

xxdabroxx
05-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Not quite Snake oil. Certainly not a cure all. Put one on my mini thirty and it did help shrink groups a bit. Still not perfect. Only way to make a mini accurate is to send it to ASI and have it rebarreled with a heavier barrel. Which absolutely does work.:thumbsup:

LIES!!!!!!! everyone knows that the mini platform is the sloppiest, most inaccurate rifle platform ever made. Nothing can be done to improve them, NOTHING... :TFH:

MPizzlo
05-26-2009, 12:19 PM
I actually liked the way my mini 30 operated. I'm not a competition shooter by far, but it is a nice ranch rifle. I couldn't ask anymore from it than I got considering it is a ranch rifle. Now if a muzzle brake would make a little difference, why not.

capntroy
05-29-2009, 11:50 PM
Your mini-30 has the flanged barrel, it's a new one.

3GunFunShooter
05-30-2009, 5:57 AM
When I put a AK 74 style on my Mini 14, cut my groups in half, from 4" to 2'.
Cryoed the barrel, trigger job and Accu-Strut. Shoots 1" now, with good ammo, PMC bronze, Black Hills.
+1 on perfect union web site. Best information source for all things Mini.
+1 on ASI. Did a great job building my 3 gun Mini 14.

cjskalka
05-30-2009, 10:51 AM
http://www.mountsplus.com/miva/graphics/00000001/EAG-1403-BLK.jpg

Is this the muzzle break your talking about? I recieved one with my mini 30 that I got a few months ago and thought it was too much like a flash hider so I didn't want to use it. Is this truely a muzzle break and therefore able to be used without a fixed magazine?

cjskalka
05-31-2009, 11:27 AM
Can anyone confirm that this is infact a muzzle break? The packaging describes it as a "short flash hider" . I'd like to actually use this but dont want to break any laws.

762cavalier
05-31-2009, 11:29 AM
Not a muzzle brake. the exit hole is much larger than bullet diameter and it is slotted like a flash hider.

gun toting monkeyboy
05-31-2009, 11:48 AM
I put the muzzlebrake/flash hider thingy on my mini-14s to protect the crown, and because it looks kinda cool. I was not really expecting it to do anything else.

-Mb

tygerpaw
05-31-2009, 7:08 PM
How does your mini-30 handle Wolf (or other Russian steel cased ammo)? I bought one about 8 years ago to be able to shoot Wolf, which at the time was running less than a $ 100.00 per thousand delivered. Mine would miss fire about 10% of the time. Ruger said that it was not made to shoot the hardened primers that Wolf uses. I sold and got me a Mini-14 instead. I hope yours works better. BTW, I really like the look of the newer style with the military type front sight. I personally would not put anything on the end of it.

a1fabweld
05-31-2009, 9:52 PM
LIES!!!!!!! everyone knows that the mini platform is the sloppiest, most inaccurate rifle platform ever made. Nothing can be done to improve them, NOTHING... :TFH:

You need to shoot an AK.:rolleyes: Your views will change. I had a Mini30 years ago & fired about 700 rds of Wolf through it with 1 FTE. Popped it out with a cleaning rod & kept banging. It was a great little rifle for the money.