PDA

View Full Version : This is what I want...

Snake9
05-25-2009, 7:53 AM
As discussed with my friendly neighborhood Calguns Crew :thumbsup: at the "Palacio Vacas" (bad espanol, I know). I have a stripped OLL eagerly awaiting to be converted into a Cal-compliant clone version of what I carried in a 1970's warzone (see attached pic). Now I've heard that there are superior gas systems which correct the notorious tendencies of the CAR-15 Carbine version to malfunction (as reported by Vietnam Ranger/LRRP/Green Beanie units), and also those that swear that piston systems & chrome parts make this version as reliable as the venerable M1-Garand/AK systems have proven themselves to be in a "soldier-proof" environment. As many may have heard, Farnam has reported numerous failures with gas piston systems with said equipped AR's in his experience, saying that the current gas-piston systems on the market are too frail/unreliable, which gives me hesitation on that front. Obviously, I desire to build the most reliable shooter possible with such factors in mind. So...As we all know, this project will not happen anytime soon due to reasonable Obamusist hysteria making parts unavailable, so it goes. But hopefully there will be a time in future when the build will be possible. My question is simple: am I going to be able to get the job done when parts come available, particularly the "evil" flash hider, which I assume there are "dummy" versions available for (stupid) Cali compliance(?)...So...Am I "pie in the sky" or will the job get done down the road? :confused:...OK, treat me gently people, what say you?...
----------------------------------
http://semiautomaticheart.blogspot.com

missiondude
05-25-2009, 8:21 AM
I am building one of those as we speak. I am doing a colt 607 complete with 1st generation collapsable stock, and fake moderator. I am waiting on a partial fence lower from NODAK SPUD. A1 upper with teardrop forwars assist and no shell deflector, 16" car barrel with hollowed out fake moderator that has threads in the front, so that barrel looks like it is only 12 or 13 inches long, and smothed front sight base with bayonet lug removed. Shortened triangular handguards. Link below should give you an idea...

http://www.retroblackrifle.com/ModGde/CrbGde/607.html

Your pic looks more like this one...

http://www.retroblackrifle.com/ModGde/CrbGde/609.html

Or this...

http://www.retroblackrifle.com/ModGde/CrbGde/629.html

aplinker
05-25-2009, 9:30 AM
Sounds like you've spent a lot of time listening to people who know a little... and you know what they say about people and a little bit of knowledge. ;)

Buy an LMT upper, put on an extended flash hider (Bushmaster makes a decent version) and permanently attach it, then buy your lower and build it up with a bullet button.

Short carbines do OK from reputable mfgs. and it sounds like you want the look with a highly functional rifle.

For more general info, see the thread in my signature.

As discussed with my friendly neighborhood Calguns Crew :thumbsup: at the "Palacio Vacas" (bad espanol, I know). I have a stripped OLL eagerly awaiting to be converted into a Cal-compliant clone version of what I carried in a 1970's warzone (see attached pic). Now I've heard that there are superior gas systems which correct the notorious tendencies of the CAR-15 Carbine version to malfunction (as reported by Vietnam Ranger/LRRP/Green Beanie units), and also those that swear that piston systems & chrome parts make this version as reliable as the venerable M1-Garand/AK systems have proven themselves to be in a "soldier-proof" environment. As many may have heard, Farnam has reported numerous failures with gas piston systems with said equipped AR's in his experience, saying that the current gas-piston systems on the market are too frail/unreliable, which gives me hesitation on that front. Obviously, I desire to build the most reliable shooter possible with such factors in mind. So...As we all know, this project will not happen anytime soon due to reasonable Obamusist hysteria making parts unavailable, so it goes. But hopefully there will be a time in future when the build will be possible. My question is simple: am I going to be able to get the job done when parts come available, particularly the "evil" flash hider, which I assume there are "dummy" versions available for (stupid) Cali compliance(?)...So...Am I "pie in the sky" or will the job get done down the road? :confused:...OK, treat me gently people, what say you?...
http://semiautomaticheart.blogspot.com

Snake9
05-26-2009, 8:04 PM
MD: Appreciate your taking the time to reply...Most def the 629/639 pattern carbine is the one, in my case it was likely the 639 (overseas, mid 1970's)...Keep me posted on your build, I'm eager to see it!...Regards S9:thumbsup:

Snake9
05-26-2009, 8:07 PM
UCLAP: OK, I will follow the leads you have given with fingers crossed in hope...:cool: