PDA

View Full Version : legality question about brass knuckles

CLUTCH
05-25-2009, 5:57 AM
so i am on vacation in another country. ive been wanting to pick up 2 brass knuckles witch are legal here. my question is would it be legal to bring them to california in my checked luggage? id realy love to have them on display at my house. i have checked and it is legal to have brass knuckles in ur checked luggage. i know they are illeagle in california but i have heard also that as long as they are only used as paper weights it is ok. i just dont want to bring them to california then get stopped at the airport once i arrive and thrown in jail or something.. i wouldnt mind them taking it but jail time for something silly like that doesnt sound to good.. any help would be appreciated thanks!

WHenderson
05-25-2009, 6:08 AM
Ca penal code section 12020.
(a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:
(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the
state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives,
lends, or possesses any cane gun or wallet gun, any undetectable
firearm, any firearm which is not immediately recognizable as a
firearm, any camouflaging firearm container, any ammunition which
contains or consists of any flechette dart, any bullet containing or
carrying an explosive agent, any ballistic knife, any multiburst
trigger activator, any nunchaku, any short-barreled shotgun, any
short-barreled rifle, any metal knuckles, any belt buckle knife, any
leaded cane, any zip gun, any shuriken, any unconventional pistol,
any lipstick case knife, any cane sword, any shobi-zue, any air gauge
knife, any writing pen knife, any metal military practice
handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade, or any instrument or weapon
of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy,
sandclub, sap, or sandbag.

CLUTCH
05-25-2009, 6:17 AM
or in the state prison:

Thank you! i realy appreciate it. def. wont be taking them with me to cali.
il just leave them here with some family for when i move back.

jamesob
05-25-2009, 10:32 AM
who told you they were legal here? they have been illegal for 20 years or more.lol

DrRik
05-25-2009, 10:54 AM
I figure the founding fathers didn't put in an amendment for knives, sticks and clubs, because they never, ever thought anyone would actually try to outlaw carrying one...but that's just me

KDOFisch
05-25-2009, 11:14 AM
so i am on vacation in another country.

Like Nevada?

bohoki
05-25-2009, 12:00 PM
I figure the founding fathers didn't put in an amendment for knives, sticks and clubs, because they never, ever thought anyone would actually try to outlaw carrying one...but that's just me

they didn't specify firearms they meant all arms

lorax3
05-25-2009, 12:32 PM
I was incorrect about plastic knuckles, corrected by ke6guj.

12020.1. Any person in this state who commercially manufactures or causes to be commercially manufactured, or who knowingly imports into the state for commercial sale, keeps for commercial sale, or offers or exposes for commercial sale, any hard plastic knuckles is guilty of a misdemeanor. As used in this section, "hard plastic knuckles" means any device or instrument made wholly or partially of plastic that is not a metal knuckle as defined in paragraph (7) of subdivision (c) of Section 12020, that is worn for purposes of offense or defense in or on the hand, and that either protects the wearer's hand while striking a blow or increases the force of impact from the blow or injury to the individual receiving the blow. The plastic contained in the device may help support the hand or fist, provide a shield to protect it, or consist of projections or studs that would contact the individual receiving a blow.

(7) As used in this section, "metal knuckles" means any device or
instrument made wholly or partially of metal which is worn for
purposes of offense or defense in or on the hand and which either
protects the wearer's hand while striking a blow or increases the
force of impact from the blow or injury to the individual receiving
the blow. The metal contained in the device may help support the hand
or fist, provide a shield to protect it, or consist of projections
or studs which would contact the individual receiving a blow.

FS00008
05-25-2009, 1:45 PM
Ever been hit by a pair of motorcycle gloves with Carbon Fibre/Kevlar knuckles...?

Those hurt me a hell of a lot more than brass knuckles.

old-trapper
05-25-2009, 1:50 PM
nope plastic knuckles were banned as well

Matt C
05-25-2009, 1:50 PM
They are SOOOOOOOO illegal here. Felony illegal. Don't do it, or you will end up sitting where I am in my avatar. (not fun)

MrClamperSir
05-25-2009, 1:52 PM
Ever been hit by a pair of motorcycle gloves with Carbon Fibre/Kevlar knuckles...?

Those hurt me a hell of a lot more than brass knuckles.

You've been hit with both? :eek: I actually wear Kevlar protected knuckle gloves, they are great.

FS00008
05-25-2009, 1:58 PM
Not at the same time, but yes. And yes, I wound up in the hospital both times. After dishing out my own punishment though. A left to the chest, right to the jaw, and steel toed boots do some real damage to punks trying to steal from you...

E Pluribus Unum
05-25-2009, 2:04 PM

The second amendment applies to all arms of war; because military forces all over the world carry knives they would have a hard time banning them.

Plastic Knuckles are only a misdemeanor.

tombinghamthegreat
05-25-2009, 4:18 PM
http://www.defendingwomen.com/forum/media/1/20080508-stungun_blastknuckles-2.jpg

SO i am guess one of these with 950000 volts is illegal in CA or is it if its plastic?

rachel2
05-25-2009, 6:53 PM
Versatility is an accurate description of the penknife (http://tbotech.com/penknives.htm). The sharp little knife can serve as a letter opener, box cutter, and cutting small rope lines. Another great add on to this item is the pen actually works! Talk about "looking the part"!

lorax3
05-25-2009, 7:36 PM

Relevant PC or case law?

ke6guj
05-25-2009, 7:48 PM
Relevant PC or case law?

here you go
12020.1. Any person in this state who commercially manufactures or causes to be commercially manufactured, or who knowingly imports into the state for commercial sale, keeps for commercial sale, or offers or exposes for commercial sale, any hard plastic knuckles is guilty of a misdemeanor. As used in this section, "hard plastic knuckles" means any device or instrument made wholly or partially of plastic that is not a metal knuckle as defined in paragraph (7) of subdivision (c) of Section 12020, that is worn for purposes of offense or defense in or on the hand, and that either protects the wearer's hand while striking a blow or increases the force of impact from the blow or injury to the individual receiving the blow. The plastic contained in the device may help support the hand or fist, provide a shield to protect it, or consist of projections or studs that would contact the individual receiving a blow.

lorax3
05-25-2009, 7:56 PM
here you go

Thanks ke6guj

JDay
05-25-2009, 9:18 PM

The Second Amendment covers all of that stuff. Remember it says "arms" not "firearms".

JDay
05-25-2009, 9:20 PM
http://www.defendingwomen.com/forum/media/1/20080508-stungun_blastknuckles-2.jpg

SO i am guess one of these with 950000 volts is illegal in CA or is it if its plastic?

Illegal.

CLUTCH
05-26-2009, 2:54 AM
[sigh*] they would look so cool on display! haha i have a pair of motorcycle gloves that came with titanium plates on the knuckles. dont see why there not illeagle.. im glad there not though.. cuss in the event of a wreck i know they would save my hand..

E Pluribus Unum
05-26-2009, 3:19 AM
[sigh*] they would look so cool on display! haha i have a pair of motorcycle gloves that came with titanium plates on the knuckles. dont see why there not illeagle.. im glad there not though.. cuss in the event of a wreck i know they would save my hand..

Its all in the usage....

Carrying a baseball bat to the park to play baseball is legal.

Carrying a baseball bat for self defense is a billy club and a felony.

I would assume that if you used your gloves for self defense and admitted that you wore them solely for that purpose you could be charged.

Midian
05-26-2009, 4:58 AM
Just put an energizer D cell in your hand. WHAM.

chaseman
05-26-2009, 6:54 AM
or in the state prison:

Wow, you really can't have anything good!

Mazilla
05-26-2009, 7:36 AM
"I know a guy" who has a bunch of them..in his safe...which he brought back across the border in his pockets, because they dont look there often.

pantera52
05-26-2009, 7:49 AM
So I'm just assuming that something like an Asp falls under 12020? Though I didn't see anything specifically naming telescoping batons in the code posted on here, I'm guessing it is considered a leaded cane or flapjack or jerkbar or whatever else was named? I know that if I had one it would be used only for checking the tire pressure on my car.

bombadillo
05-26-2009, 8:11 AM
They make a belt buckle the really resembles a pair of brass knuckles. Of course it is a "novelty item only" and they do mail to all 50 states. You can look them up when you get home.

leelaw
05-26-2009, 8:15 AM
So I'm just assuming that something like an Asp falls under 12020? Though I didn't see anything specifically naming telescoping batons in the code posted on here, I'm guessing it is considered a leaded cane or flapjack or jerkbar or whatever else was named? I know that if I had one it would be used only for checking the tire pressure on my car.

It's a police baton.

CLUTCH
05-26-2009, 9:19 AM
Its all in the usage....

Carrying a baseball bat to the park to play baseball is legal.

Carrying a baseball bat for self defense is a billy club and a felony.

I would assume that if you used your gloves for self defense and admitted that you wore them solely for that purpose you could be charged.

yah i would "never" use them in a fight. if i had em on and got into one id take the time to take em off.. haha but if **** hits the fan in this world it wouldnt be bad to have..

Matt C
05-26-2009, 9:25 AM
It's a police baton.

Well for 12020 purposes it's a billy. You must be a peace officer or have a baton permit to possess.

DDT
05-26-2009, 11:40 AM
yah i would "never" use them in a fight. if i had em on and got into one id take the time to take em off.. haha but if **** hits the fan in this world it wouldnt be bad to have..

So, if there is a national or other huge emergency where you feel the need for self defense weapons you are turning to "brass knuckles?"

Ok. I'll stick with firearms and pepper spray (maybe a few of my baseball bats or a taser) I have to say that brass knuckles are not even on my list of SHTF weapons.

E Pluribus Unum
05-26-2009, 11:47 AM
That is part of the reason I want to learn to use the tambo (short staff) in my martial arts training. At only 3 feet in length, it is the perfect length for dual service as a walking cane.

Carrying a bat down the street COULD get you arrested for a felony 12020 violation. Carrying a solid oak walking stick on the other hand.... ;)

Matt C
05-26-2009, 11:53 AM
That is part of the reason I want to learn to use the tambo (short staff) in my martial arts training. At only 3 feet in length, it is the perfect length for dual service as a walking cane.

Carrying a bat down the street COULD get you arrested for a felony 12020 violation. Carrying a solid oak walking stick on the other hand.... ;)

If you hit someone with it, even in self defense, it's a 12020 felony.

Librarian
05-26-2009, 12:53 PM

Use an eku (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawan_kobud%C5%8D). :)

7x57
05-26-2009, 1:24 PM
Metal == felony. Hard plastic == misdemeanor.

Hmm. They want to ban them one material at a time. Time for me to start up my lucrative ceramic knuckle business, and make sure they hit the market when I have a warehouse full and the legislative session just ended. I should be able to make a handsome profit before the next session.

7x57

CLUTCH
05-26-2009, 1:34 PM
So, if there is a national or other huge emergency where you feel the need for self defense weapons you are turning to "brass knuckles?"

Ok. I'll stick with firearms and pepper spray (maybe a few of my baseball bats or a taser) I have to say that brass knuckles are not even on my list of SHTF weapons.

noo not brass knuckles my motorcycle "gloves" that have titanium plates on em..

CLUTCH
05-26-2009, 1:36 PM
Metal == felony. Hard plastic == misdemeanor.

Hmm. They want to ban them one material at a time. Time for me to start up my lucrative ceramic knuckle business, and make sure they hit the market when I have a warehouse full and the legislative session just ended. I should be able to make a handsome profit before the next session.

7x57

haha imagine punching a window with that thing. u could pimp slap it n it would shatter. :thumbsup:

E Pluribus Unum
05-26-2009, 1:54 PM
If you hit someone with it, even in self defense, it's a 12020 felony.

I disagree. Keeping or possessing a billy club is a felony in all cases. If your logic held true, any home owner that picked up a bat in defense of his home would be committing a felony.

If the use of force is appropriate, one can use a walking cane for self defense.

One cannot simply use a cane to bash someone's head in a fight, but if the assailant had a knife... use of the cane for self defense would be warranted.

CLUTCH
05-26-2009, 2:02 PM
I disagree. Keeping or possessing a billy club is a felony in all cases. If your logic held true, any home owner that picked up a bat in defense of his home would be committing a felony.

If the use of force is appropriate, one can use a walking cane for self defense.

One cannot simply use a cane to bash someone's head in a fight, but if the assailant had a knife... use of the cane for self defense would be warranted.

+1 thanks for pointing that out :thumbsup:

so lets juss say "if" i happend to just get off my bike and some guy trys to rob me at knife point i could use my gloves as self defense? not that i would even try. my life isnt worth what ever is in my wallet.

CLUTCH
05-26-2009, 2:09 PM
Like Nevada?

if u have to know im in S. Korea. (i said country not state) i love it here! the women are beautifull! n they love to show off there nice legs ; ] "but" and thats a BIG but, all firearms are illeagle here.. the only time i get to shoot is at the shooting range that costs $2 a round thats not including renting fee's plus they only have pistols.. ; / it takes me around 4 hours total to get there and back on the subway just for mabe 10-20 minutes of shooting..
oh yah did i tell u guys i broke up a fight today between 2 drunk guys! yah i felt like a hero! :thumbsup: haha (i know im full of my self) i shoulda stoped and did the superman pose to top it off lol

7x57
05-26-2009, 2:13 PM
haha imagine punching a window with that thing. u could pimp slap it n it would shatter. :thumbsup:

I think you would be rather surprised at what can be done with modern ceramics.

7x57

E Pluribus Unum
05-26-2009, 2:14 PM
+1 thanks for pointing that out :thumbsup:

so lets juss say "if" i happend to just get off my bike and some guy trys to rob me at knife point i could use my gloves as self defense? not that i would even try. my life isnt worth what ever is in my wallet.

I think in a self defense scenario.... state law itself does not really matter. According to constitutional law, any law that would deprive a citizen of life liberty or the pursuit of happiness is unconstitutional. Meyer vs. Nebraska touches on this with regards to the fourteenth amendment. There is a lot of case law that establishes this precedent.

In the situation where one is confronted with an eminent threat of severe bodily injury or death from an unprovoked knife attack, any law that would limit one's ability to defend himself would be a constitutional violation because that law would serve to restrict one's right to live.

If one is in compliance with the law in carrying a walking stick and that walking stick is used to defend a life, the state government would be powerless to criminalize the usage of that walking stick for self-defense. They could restrict the mere possession of a walking stick, but California does not.

CLUTCH
05-26-2009, 2:32 PM
I think in a self defense scenario.... state law itself does not really matter. According to constitutional law, any law that would deprive a citizen of life liberty or the pursuit of happiness is unconstitutional. Meyer vs. Nebraska touches on this with regards to the fourteenth amendment. There is a lot of case law that establishes this precedent.

In the situation where one is confronted with an eminent threat of severe bodily injury or death from an unprovoked knife attack, any law that would limit one's ability to defend himself would be a constitutional violation because that law would serve to restrict one's right to live.

If one is in compliance with the law in carrying a walking stick and that walking stick is used to defend a life, the state government would be powerless to criminalize the usage of that walking stick for self-defense. They could restrict the mere possession of a walking stick, but California does not.

i have a couple of walking sticks but i always leave em at home. cuss i feel like if i take them with me il get in trouble if an officer sees me with it. im an average healthy male so i would think to see me with a walking stick would be a little suspiscious. i would def. feel more at ease to take it with me when i make late night runs to the grocery store though..

CLUTCH
05-26-2009, 2:33 PM
I think you would be rather surprised at what can be done with modern ceramics.

7x57

haha oh realy?

E Pluribus Unum
05-26-2009, 2:36 PM
i have a couple of walking sticks but i always leave em at home. cuss i feel like if i take them with me il get in trouble if an officer sees me with it. im an average healthy male so i would think to see me with a walking stick would be a little suspiscious. i would def. feel more at ease to take it with me when i make late night runs to the grocery store though..

Why would you say that? I suffer injuries in Karate almost every week. These are bruises and strains of muscle and bone that do not show up on X-Ray.... carrying a walking stick greatly helps with the pain of walking. :)

Matt C
05-26-2009, 2:55 PM

A billy is a cylindrical blunt object used as a weapon. You can have a stick or a bat, but if you tell the officer you intend to hit someone with it (even in self defense) it would be a 12020 violation for possession of a billy club. There is no exception in the law for self defense.

CLUTCH
05-27-2009, 6:20 AM
Why would you say that? I suffer injuries in Karate almost every week. These are bruises and strains of muscle and bone that do not show up on X-Ray.... carrying a walking stick greatly helps with the pain of walking. :)

hmm never thought of it that way.. i take MMA training so i do get beat up pretty bad sometimes. next time if i have to go out late im gonna take it along with me.. ; ] mabe il limp a lil bit if i see an officer haha thanks again.

rolo
05-27-2009, 8:18 AM
I'm curious, I see a specific code against metal knuckles and a specific code against plastic knuckles, since I don't see anything prohibiting wood or leather knuckles, doesn't that mean they are fair game? I think I'll go out to the shop and make up a set just for s&g.

E Pluribus Unum
05-27-2009, 11:05 AM
A billy is a cylindrical blunt object used as a weapon. You can have a stick or a bat, but if you tell the officer you intend to hit someone with it (even in self defense) it would be a 12020 violation for possession of a billy club. There is no exception in the law for self defense.

This is true.... however who would be so stupid? If an officer asks what its for, you say "It is a walking stick".

If however you are attacked and one uses a walking stick to defend himself, that is not intent, but circumstance. If you did not INTEND it for self defense, it is not a billy.

I'm curious, I see a specific code against metal knuckles and a specific code against plastic knuckles, since I don't see anything prohibiting wood or leather knuckles, doesn't that mean they are fair game? I think I'll go out to the shop and make up a set just for s&g.

The hard surface is not what makes the knuckles so devastating, it is the mass. One's knuckles are pretty hard anyway. A similar effect can be achieved by simply holding a steel bar while punching. The added mass increases the force.

RideIcon
05-27-2009, 10:41 PM

"12020.1. Any person in this state who commercially manufactures or causes to be commercially manufactured, or who knowingly imports into the state for commercial sale, keeps for commercial sale, or offers or exposes for commercial sale, any hard plastic knuckles is guilty of a misdemeanor."

ownership or even importation for private ownership of lexan knuckles does not seem to be illegal in any way

Do work :thumbsup:

ke6guj
05-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Umm, I think lexan is considered a plastic, same as the epoxy resins in carbon fiber stuff.

RideIcon
05-27-2009, 11:45 PM
where does it say possession of plastic knuckles is illegal, it only says manufacture, or importation for commercial sale of plastic knuckles is illegal
I only said lexan cuz of these
http://www.knockoutknucks.com/plastic.html

ke6guj
05-27-2009, 11:51 PM
ok, missed that possession was not illegal in 12020.1. Thought you were trying to say that Lexan wasn't considered plastic.

lorax3
05-28-2009, 9:16 AM
"12020.1. Any person in this state who commercially manufactures or causes to be commercially manufactured, or who knowingly imports into the state for commercial sale, keeps for commercial sale, or offers or exposes for commercial sale, any hard plastic knuckles is guilty of a misdemeanor."

Would placing an order for Lexan knuckles for the purpose of private non-commercial use be "causes to be commercially manufactured"?

RideIcon
05-28-2009, 10:21 AM
no :thumbsup:
they aren't made in cali

CLUTCH
05-29-2009, 8:32 AM
where does it say possession of plastic knuckles is illegal, it only says manufacture, or importation for commercial sale of plastic knuckles is illegal

wait.. so these are legal in ca?
hmm i just might be able to get my display knucks ; ]

Jpach
05-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Any ideas on whether carbon fiber knuckles are legal or not? Assuming they are not mixed with any plastic.

ke6guj
05-29-2009, 1:16 PM
carbon fiber items are usually made with an epoxy resin, which is a plastic, os they would probably be considered Plastic knuckles.

Now, based on th PC , it appears that possession of plastic knuckles would be legal, but that the manufacture, sale, or importation for commercial purposes would be restricted.

AJAX22
05-29-2009, 1:40 PM
wood knuckles would be legal

but i believe there is something which prohibits any 'belaying' device....

its very broadly worded

E Pluribus Unum
05-29-2009, 1:52 PM
wood knuckles would be legal

but i believe there is something which prohibits any 'belaying' device....

its very broadly worded

What about rolled newspaper soaked in toothpaste and Jenkem and then dried?

One can theorize about possible weapons all day long. The plain and simple fact is that if one uses ANY object to strike another person, its illegal. Unless of course it is a reasonable use of force in self defense.

rolo
05-29-2009, 3:13 PM
I wonder if they would ban my wife's nostepinne. It appears to be a belaying pin to the uninitiated. For that matter, would I get in trouble for carrying around a belaying pin? I have a legitimate use for them and own several.

Edit: I never got around to making leather/wood knuckles.

Dr. Peter Venkman
05-29-2009, 6:49 PM

Volts don't do anything. It's all about amperage.

E Pluribus Unum
05-29-2009, 6:52 PM
Volts don't do anything. It's all about amperage.

Not true... its volts AND amperage.

220 volts at 10 amps is a lot more power than 110 volts at 15 amps.

Power = Volts times amps

While it is true that amps is the multiplier, 100 amps at .1 volts is still only 10 watts of power.

CLUTCH
05-30-2009, 2:12 AM

so i guess im going to purchase a pair when i get back to the states sense they are legal to own right? it does say legal in all states... unless someone knows of a law that says other wise.. i have the perfect spot for them on my display shelf!

CLUTCH
05-30-2009, 2:22 AM
Not true... its volts AND amperage.

220 volts at 10 amps is a lot more power than 110 volts at 15 amps.

Power = Volts times amps

While it is true that amps is the multiplier, 100 amps at .1 volts is still only 10 watts of power.

:thumbsup: