View Full Version : It's not ok to shoot someone trespassing?

08-08-2005, 6:23 AM

"It doesn't matter if it's an AK-47, a bazooka or a BB gun. The guy got shot," Frank Griffin, the British co-founder of Bauer-Griffin, a leading American paparazzi agency, told The Times. "Even if the guy was trespassing, I don't know whether you Americans ... think it's OK to shoot them."

I hate guys that think like this. If you don't want to get shot at, don't be trespassing on another person's property. Simple as that.

08-08-2005, 7:34 AM
Hmmm, I also think that shooting this guy with a BB gun was absolutely inappropriate. Maybe if he was hiding in the bushes, but not when he was "... among a dozen photographers waiting outside a Malibu home ...". They should have called the police to remove paparazzis if they were trespassing, they were not posing any danger.

08-08-2005, 8:11 AM
a blanket law allowing lethal force in response to trespassing is in an invitation to murder.

you are not allowed - and rightly so - to shoot any and all trespassers. you are only allowed to use a reasonable level of force.

however, if some a-hole paparazzi would not leave somebody's property, a bb gun is entirely appropriate in my personal opinion. just don't shoot anything like the face.

08-08-2005, 10:31 AM
"I hate guys that think like this. If you don't want to get shot at, don't be trespassing on another person's property."

Silly peasant, didn't you hear? Private property is a thing of the past, just ask the Supreme Court (Kelo v. New London). Joking aside, I find it amazing that the guy went to the hospital for being shot with a BB gun. When we were kids, my older brother shot me point blank in the foot (pretty stupid) but it didn't require a freakin trip to the hospital.

08-08-2005, 10:42 AM
Heck when I was a kid we used to put on goggles and run around in the woods shooting each other with BB guns. They were just spring operated BB guns, but they still hurt when they hit bare skin, but nothing that requires hospitalisation.

08-08-2005, 11:17 AM
"Sheriff's Sergeant Robert Knudson says media attention forced the department to put the incident --quote-- "on the front burner," despite the fact that the shooting doesn't rise to the level of assault with a deadly weapon."

yeah... just above these...

Police Investigate Another Possible Freeway Shooting

One Killed In Deputy-Involved Shooting

Baby Sitter Charged With Second-Degree Murder

08-08-2005, 5:34 PM
Too bad that didn't happen in Florida or Texas, that guy could have eaten a .308 round for snooping around.

08-08-2005, 7:11 PM
In California, this is NOT legal unless he pulled a weapon of equal force on you.

In Oklahoma, you could blow him away.

Personally, I SUGGEST STRONGLY that people in California own Pepper Spray. I would go with Fox Lab's brand pepper spray (most potent), mainly because it doesn't do permanent damage, and you can chase away people without much hard done.

08-09-2005, 5:09 PM
I do believe using peper spray in the manner your describing would be a criminal act. You are only allowed to use it for self defense not crowd dispersment http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

08-20-2005, 5:31 PM
Airguns are not toys... They should be treated as firearms as well.. Just because there is not a waiting period does not mean they are not dangerous.. A boy was accidentally shot at a local range recently in the leg where the projectile penetrated 6 or 7 inches into his leg.....

08-23-2005, 10:42 PM
California is a "Reasonable belief" state. If the victim is a 90lb little girl with a .357, she does NOT have to wait for the 230lb rapist to produce his own .357

If she has a reasonable belief, that further action by the bad guy will result in injury or death, she can lawfully blow him away.

"In fear of my life" is a legal defense here.

08-30-2005, 4:59 PM
I'd shoot with a garden hose.

Volume = velocity x area.

08-31-2005, 9:20 AM
Originally posted by >_>:
In Oklahoma, you could blow him away.

I love oklahoma's "make my Day" laws, gonna miss them when I come back to california and have to abide by the "he can beat you and or rape your wife and you cannot do anything" BS laws http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif