PDA

View Full Version : My take on a "Bullet Button" tool..

WhoDares
05-25-2009, 2:09 AM
I took a rubber finger-tip that I had lying around, got a short roofing nail and cut it to about 1/2" and stuck it through the finger-tip.

Looks like this (sorry for the crappy pics):
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv185/Cioccman/DSC01683.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv185/Cioccman/DSC01682.jpg

The end of the cut nail is still kind of sharp; I'll be grinding it smooth soon.
I have tried this on my middle finger so as not too have to deal with it being in the way as I squeeze the trigger. But to tell the truth, with this on my trigger finger I have had no trouble firing, and I can operate the Bullet Button more efficiently.

sAnO2NWO
04-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Hah! Genius....

Trey1191
04-30-2010, 10:12 AM
http://www.parallaxtactical.com/store/finger-tip-bullet-button-tool-black-378.html Good home grown idea here's something a lot like that adapted from palm stylus's though.

straykiller
04-30-2010, 10:16 AM
hah had to post about ur pic. lol my name is matt foly and i am a motivational speaker, now young man what do you what to do with you life,,,, hahaha best sat night skit ever lo, o ya and good idea for your bullet button tool

abusalim81
04-30-2010, 10:31 AM
wow I had the same exact idea when I bought my first bb rifle... Someone said that it's illegal if i remember correctly! NOT SURE...

ar15barrels
04-30-2010, 11:04 AM
[SIZE="4"]I took a rubber finger-tip that I had lying around,

Your rubber finger looks to be ribbed for her pleasure. ;)

POLICESTATE
04-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Would put on ring finger myself instead of my trigger finger, but it looks like it's perfect for the job! I think I'm going to have to make one myself. How much that set you back? 25 cents or so? :)

xfilterx
04-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Someone on here did something like this about a year ago. They used Velcro ties that you would use for tying up computer cables and then place some sort of pop rivet through the velcro. Good idea but the rivet would always bend back and forth awkwardly when inserted into the bullet button.

killshot44
04-30-2010, 12:03 PM
An empty .22LR or .22Mag case works very well. You might try that.

dieselpower
04-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Did this on a glove, works great accept I am now having trouble manipulating my BAD lever.

fullspeed1
04-30-2010, 1:00 PM
Now your giving all the criminals an idea that have bullet buttons on their California legal weapons!;)

Fate
04-30-2010, 4:14 PM
Now your giving all the criminals an idea that have bullet buttons on their California legal weapons!;)

All none of them? :confused:

DouchebagRanger
04-30-2010, 4:26 PM
^haha Bullet Button ≠ criminal.

Cobrafreak
04-30-2010, 4:32 PM
Good idea, but it may scratch up your finish. Don't ask me how I know this:rolleyes:. This is the best Idea I have seen yet. Almost as quick and intuitive as a weapon with no BB at all. I bought a bunch of them at a Cal Expo Gun show:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=262666&highlight=ultimate+bb+tool

Ding126
04-30-2010, 4:43 PM
It gets in the way of my trigger.:D

tacticalcity
04-30-2010, 4:45 PM
There is a device like this commercially available. Works pretty well.

http://www.gpik.net/

http://www.gpik.net/productimages/25pack.jpghttp://www.gpik.net/productimages/ipik_single.jpg

jonni
04-30-2010, 4:49 PM

wtf_am_i_reading.jpg

santacruzstefan
04-30-2010, 4:55 PM
What would be cool is if the device was on the outside of your finger, like on the middle knuckle (Proximal interphalangeal joint). If it were there, it wouldn't get in the way. Plus, I'd think it would be easy to modify a glove to accept such a device, although it wouldn't be as simple as something on just the tip of a finger.

Midian
04-30-2010, 5:06 PM
Try not to rub your eyes or scratch your balls when wearing this

L4D
04-30-2010, 5:11 PM
Try not to rub your eyes or scratch your balls when wearing this

or high 5 your buddy.

Cokebottle
04-30-2010, 6:01 PM
There is a device like this commercially available. Works pretty well.

http://www.gpik.net/

http://www.gpik.net/productimages/25pack.jpghttp://www.gpik.net/productimages/ipik_single.jpg
They changed the design.
It is no longer a tapered stylus.
It is now a rubber nub, same diameter top to bottom, with a slight angle cut and "traction ribs".

It'll still fit into a BB... barely, but it no longer guides itself in.
They haven't updated their pics on the web site, but it was redesigned to be more "friendly" to blackberries and phones with actual keyboards.

EDIT: I just looked over their site again and they list both the "gpik" and the "ipik"... I'm wondering if they didn't ship me ipiks by mistake.

gtturborex
04-30-2010, 7:33 PM
My buddy uses a pencil eraser. Not sure about the legality(probably illegal) but he breaks the eraser off a pencil and puts it in the BB and leaves it there. Technically an eraser is a tool...

anniepoks
04-30-2010, 8:27 PM
My buddy uses a pencil eraser. Not sure about the legality(probably illegal) but he breaks the eraser off a pencil and puts it in the BB and leaves it there. Technically an eraser is a tool...

now thats very ILLEGAL!
tell him not to do that. once it is attached with the gun, its no longer
a tool but a mere part of the rifle hence making it an AW!

diddler
04-30-2010, 8:35 PM

Its been a while since I followed the legal logic, but I thought the consensus is that this method would be illegal since the "tool" is always attached to the weapon, thereby becoming effectively part of the weapon. Seem to recall this coming up even with the earliest notions of having the tool tied to the weapon on a bit of string. I know, it all sounds horribly lame...I don't write or agree with the laws.

The little finger nubbin from the OP looks easy and legal, I just wouldn't have it on my trigger finger. The position of the nail would get in the way of a proper press of the trigger with the pad of the finger. Don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with the middle finger though even without changing the hold on the pistol grip.

diddler
04-30-2010, 8:36 PM
now thats very ILLEGAL!

Ahhhh, beat me to it! At least it confirms my memory is still intact.

BLD
04-30-2010, 9:08 PM
I bought several of the GPiks a couple of months ago. I wear them on my middle finger while shooting 3 gun matches. With a little practice (like everything else in the shooting world) I can change mags just as quick as the guys who use Mini 14s and M1As.

jmabbott888
04-30-2010, 9:23 PM
I picked up one of those g pics when I got my BB, only problem is that my fingers are to big or the pic is too small since it cuts into my finger on top when it is on. I do leave it attached to the front sight so if I don't have a free round I can use it though.

Cokebottle
04-30-2010, 9:40 PM
I picked up one of those g pics when I got my BB, only problem is that my fingers are to big or the pic is too small since it cuts into my finger on top when it is on. I do leave it attached to the front sight so if I don't have a free round I can use it though.
Once again, do not EVER attach your bullet button tool to the rifle in any way, shape, or form, including rubber banding it to the sling.

Once it is attached, it becomes a part of the rifle and ceases to be a separate "tool".

jmabbott888
05-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Never thought of it that way, good point. One more question, Can I legally store the original mag release in the pistolgrip or the stock to keep it from getting lost or is that a no-no too?

Cokebottle
05-01-2010, 1:41 PM
Never thought of it that way, good point. One more question, Can I legally store the original mag release in the pistolgrip or the stock to keep it from getting lost or is that a no-no too?
That's fine. The law only cares that the magazine is not detachable (defined as requiring a tool to remove).

advocatusdiaboli
05-01-2010, 2:59 PM

ROTFL That made my day after looking at AR-15s at an LGS.

destro360
05-01-2010, 4:23 PM
im not arguing but i dont understand the logic of "if the tool is tied/attached to your gun it is no longer a tool" on a drill press you keep the drill chuck on the machine. on a chop saw it is built with a small place to keep the tool. on a grinder it is attached to the handle..... it is still a tool but one you need regularly.

Cokebottle
05-01-2010, 9:37 PM
im not arguing but i dont understand the logic of "if the tool is tied/attached to your gun it is no longer a tool" on a drill press you keep the drill chuck on the machine. on a chop saw it is built with a small place to keep the tool. on a grinder it is attached to the handle..... it is still a tool but one you need regularly.
I don't think there have been any prosecutions/convictions because of it, but it is the recommendation of "The Right People".

The worst offender is the "Mag Magnet", otherwise known as the "Felony Button".... and it is STILL being sold at gun shows without revealing to customers that it can only be used legally with a rimfire upper or outside of California.

1911su16b870
05-01-2010, 10:52 PM
On the first day Stoner invented the AR platform rifle complete with a push button magazine release...an he was pleased...

then due to some hysteria the AR was banned...causing great confusion and grief within the state...

slowly OLLs were reintroduced with 10 round magazines and supplemented with magazine locks that require tools to release them...causing much joy...yet tactically making the AR a turd...

but there was much happiness in the ability of law abiding folks to own America's premier rifle...

The ingenuity and imagination of Californians amazes me... :party:

Let us hope McDonald, Hoffmang's AR registration denial, and the "right people" leads us to the obsolescence of the mag button lock...

NorCal E
05-01-2010, 11:43 PM
OK what's worse for your "image" at the range...

A featureless rifle

or a Trigger Finger Condom?

Hmmm... :43:

A featureless rifle!!! duh!!!

ChrisDM
05-02-2010, 6:09 AM
Seems like it would be easier just to grab a screwdriver or something...

liberty08
05-02-2010, 6:35 AM
I have been using an old ink pen... the plastic paper-mate kind. I also use the back end of the pen to press in my take down pins for cleaning. This works well for me since I'd likely lose anything smaller than that.

salazar44
05-02-2010, 12:51 PM
i stab violently at my BB with an icepick until the mag drops

abusalim81
05-03-2010, 12:21 AM
i stab violently at my BB with an icepick until the mag drops

Funniest statement I've heard for a very long time.... Thanks buddy, it made me laugh out loud!

neuron
05-03-2010, 7:26 PM
now thats very ILLEGAL!

You could also make a hollowed out "button extender" to fit over the BB that would allow you to depress the mag release. This could be easily removed, but would probably be "illegal," so i'd advise against using it...:(

Cokebottle
05-03-2010, 7:34 PM
You could also make a hollowed out "button extender" to fit over the BB that would allow you to depress the mag release. This could be easily removed, but would probably be "illegal," so i'd advise against using it...:(
If it is in any way attached to the gun in a way that it will not fall away if your hand is moved away for even a nanosecond, it is potentially illegal.

There have been no court ruling on this, and it is important that there REMAIN no court ruling on this.
Mess around with this and get arrested, CGN will not be able to help you due to the "color" of the case, and the conviction very well may be the beginning of formal legislation banning the bullet button.

If 200,000 or so owners of OLLs are forced to go back to top loading, the least of your worries are going to be what happens to you in prison... You'll beg for a longer sentence ;) :43:

Bhobbs
05-03-2010, 8:31 PM
I wonder how long these kinds of things will remain legal. It allows you to use the bullet button just like you would a regular mag release which eliminates the point of having one.

Dangerpin
05-03-2010, 8:40 PM
It isn't legal now when used as advertised. This kind of confusion is why the people trying to sell it in CA need to be kicked in the wedding vegetables.

SoCalRandy
05-03-2010, 9:15 PM
Personally, I already tried the gpik and I ultimately ended up using these...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=262666&highlight=ultimate+bullet+button

Try it, you won't regret it!

Southpaw45
05-03-2010, 9:25 PM
Now you need to get a table at the next gun show to sell these bullet button ticklers.....