PDA

View Full Version : How bad does bore pitting have to be to destroy accuracy?

DanDaDude102
05-25-2009, 1:44 AM
I Bought an Yugo sks and the bore is pitted from font to back, but it still has its rifling. Hows this thing gonna shoot and how bad does pitting need to be for bullets to keyhole or have no accuracy? thx.

B Strong
05-25-2009, 6:32 AM
I Bought an Yugo sks and the bore is pitted from font to back, but it still has its rifling. Hows this thing gonna shoot and how bad does pitting need to be for bullets to keyhole or have no accuracy? thx.

I've seen pitted barrels shoot well, just as long as there isn't muzzle damage.

An SKS wasn't designed as a National Match competitor, and should function fine, and deliver adequate accuracy with a pitted bore.

berg
05-25-2009, 7:23 AM
I'm not sure it's the pitting that will affect accuracy. You should be more concerned with wear on the rifling and the muzzle.

I have an M1917 in .30-06 that has a neglected bore with extensive pitting but very sharp lands and grooves. The thing is still incredibly accurate.

You will just have to take greater care in cleaning the bore since the piting will collect copper and carbon.

Electric Factory
05-25-2009, 8:01 AM
I too have shot 1911A1 handguns, WWI and WWII military bolt action rifles and all manner of Winchester lever action rifles with apparantly shot out bores ie deep pitting which not only spun the bullet but delivered target accuracy.
It really is the condition of the lands and grooves which seem to make the difference.

FlyingDesertEagle
05-25-2009, 9:08 AM
as long as the pitting isn't so bad that your bullets still get a good gas seal... youre good with a combat weapon.

I agree that your crown has a bigger influence on accuracy.

God Bless The Mauser
05-25-2009, 10:35 AM
I have an RC K98 with a pitted bore and it's the most accurate milsurp I own.

RaceDay
05-25-2009, 11:08 AM
I agree with the above posters. In my experience, good lands and grooves are much more important than a mirror shine. Pitting doesn't seem to have much effect on accuracy (at least with me shootig) but it does make cleaning more of a chore.

And the SKS was never a sniper rifle to begin with. [FWIW, I've never shot overly well with anything 7.62x39.]

hnoppenberger
05-25-2009, 11:24 AM
i have a yugo sks that has the best barrel ive ever seen on a yugo sks, and it only shoots about a 12" group at 200 yards. im not sure it really matters on these kind of guns.

God Bless The Mauser
05-25-2009, 11:57 AM
I agree that cleaning is way more difficult, I don't bother trying to get the patches clean, I just make sure to clean it well enough that all the corrosive salts are gone and then oil it well and I'm done.

Beelzy
05-25-2009, 5:06 PM
You won't be ranging that rifle out far enough for the pitting to be an issue.

Combat rifles are not one-hole groupers by any stretch of the imagination.

Enjoy!

DanDaDude102
05-25-2009, 8:30 PM
Thanks guys, yeah im not looking trying to make a sniper or hunting rifle out of it or anything (I got a ruger m77), as long as I can have fun with it and it doesn't keyhole or anything then Im happy, and I have no problem with the extra cleaning (ill take care it). It has decent lands and grooves and a great crown so I think ill be ok. Ill probably get to shot it next week so well see how it goes.

Tomwadek
08-20-2009, 1:17 PM
did u ever shoot it?

JAGGUY
08-20-2009, 1:40 PM
I picked up a Yugo 59 not too long ago. An obvious bfpu with lots of stock carving and a barrel that looks like a sewer pipe. I was surprised when I shot it that it didn't keyhole at all and shot some 6" groups at 100 yards. For this rifle I'm not complaining at all.
You just need to shoot it and find out!
-greg

aplinker
08-20-2009, 2:06 PM
Pretty ****ing bad.

I've seen some unbelievably crappy bores shoot just as well as nice, chrome-y looking beauties.

I'm fairly confident to say that the crappy surplus ammo is going to be a bigger source of inaccuracy (it hides what you lose from the crap bore).

SCMA-1
08-20-2009, 5:30 PM
It's mostly throat erosion and/or damaged crown that will hurt precision. Like others have said, I have some old war horses that are pretty dark bores but shoot just great.

SCMA-1

Jonathan Doe
08-20-2009, 5:58 PM
I have shot a 223 barrel with pitted barrel that could not keep the rounds on paper, and hitting in angles for those actually hitting the target.

I have another barrel with minor/ little pitting that shoot well.

Rob454
08-20-2009, 9:18 PM
My grandpa shoots a old azz garand that he had back in WW2 and its beat up a little and the bore has pitting in it and it still shoots great. in fact he called me and told me he took a buck and a antelope this season.
Shoot the gun. if it still shoots straight shoo tit till it doesnt then go bu another barrel or go get another SKS.