PDA

View Full Version : Please Help, (Building an AK 47 Kit in San Jose)

Antebios
05-24-2009, 7:21 PM
Hello everyone,
I’m new here on Calguns, and was wondering if I could find some help building a couple of Romanian G AK kits. I have the kits, and AK Builder Flats, still need to get rivets, or screws.

The thing is I only have basic tools like a dremel, drill… and can’t afford all the big tools, especially for only a two builds. Is there anyone close to San Jose who would be able to help with some equipment like jigs, and a press…?

I know there are some build parties going on every now and then, but they are mostly all the way down in Southern California. Will anyone be organizing a build in the bay area anytime soon?

MrNiceGuy
05-24-2009, 9:01 PM
Keep you eyes peeled for what develops here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=168276&page=20).

Assuming they're comfortable letting new unknown members into their place.

hoffmang
05-24-2009, 9:03 PM
I'd ask thedrickel nicely if you can come to one day of his build event near SFO.

There is an active thread on it. I'll be putting the finishing touches on one of my Romanians. The reality is that you need to budget a couple of days or more for your first. Have you completely demilled your kit?

-Gene

Linburger
05-24-2009, 9:10 PM
I'd also be interested in a build party in San Jose. Unfortunately, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to AK builds.

Antebios
05-25-2009, 12:00 AM
I have demilled my kits, except for a few rivets, which would be best removed once I get the barrel out. I have not built AKs before, but have researched it extensively, reading tutorials, and also watched a video from the American gunsmith institute on building an AK. I am familiar with all the aspects, and am good with my hands, just lack the tools (jigs, press, welder…)

Gene can you tell me more about this SFO build event, do you have a link to the thread?

scotthmt
05-25-2009, 12:19 AM
I average about 4-5hrs building off a 100% receiver i.e. NDS-x. Building off a flat I average 6 1/2 - 8 1/2 hrs

JeffM
05-25-2009, 12:28 AM
I have demilled my kits, except for a few rivets, which would be best removed once I get the barrel out. I have not built AKs before, but have researched it extensively, reading tutorials, and also watched a video from the American gunsmith institute on building an AK. I am familiar with all the aspects, and am good with my hands, just lack the tools (jigs, press, welder…)

Gene can you tell me more about this SFO build event, do you have a link to the thread?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=183422

hoffmang
05-25-2009, 9:17 AM
I average about 4-5hrs building off a 100% receiver i.e. NDS-x. Building off a flat I average 6 1/2 - 8 1/2 hrs

You are using plurals which means you've done it before. Even with skilled builders around you, a first time builder needs to budget double that for the first time through.

-Gene

dancinzen
05-25-2009, 11:37 AM
wow... i am seriously trying to build an ak as well and i am in san jose as well... please let me know if it is possible that i join... even if i cant build one since there will be alot going on, to just watch and get to know every one i would be honored. if there is a build coming up please let me know so i can buy all the parts i will need and what i would need to bring...i thank anyone who is willing to take the chance and patients to help some serious people like me who just need the right guidance.

Heatseeker
05-25-2009, 3:07 PM
You are using plurals which means you've done it before. Even with skilled builders around you, a first time builder needs to budget double that for the first time through.

-Gene
I was going to mention that. I'm working on my first build, A Romy G using a pre-bent blank receiver. I am an experienced fabricator and I have at least 5-6 hours into it, with several hours to go...ARs are so much easier to put together :) .

crob241
05-25-2009, 11:55 PM
There are build parties both in So. and No. Calif., sometime more then 1 in a area. If you are doing your first build the parties are a great place to learn. There is always experienced people who share there time and experience plus all the tools and equipment required are there. Even if you just go to watch you will gain knowledge money can`t buy. thnx

motorhead
05-28-2009, 12:13 PM
I was going to mention that. I'm working on my first build, A Romy G using a pre-bent blank receiver. I am an experienced fabricator and I have at least 5-6 hours into it, with several hours to go...ARs are so much easier to put together :) .

not from scratch. aks on 100% rec. are more work but try to build an 80% ar with a dremel.

Antebios
05-28-2009, 5:06 PM
Well it sounds like there are at least two more of us (Linburger, and dancinzen) that are near San Jose, and looking for a Build Event. I don’t think any of us have the tools, or expertise to do this on our own.

I tried contacting thedrickel, with no success. Probably because I am new here, but what am I to do? I can’t help that. Is there any way we can organize something here locally? Is there anyone with the proper tools that wants to help start a build party here in San Jose?

RudyN
05-28-2009, 7:47 PM
Depending on when & where it is I might be able to join a BP. I have a Romy G kit and NDS-3 rcvr setting here. I have put together two ARs, but not AK. I am in San Jose.

AaronHorrocks
05-29-2009, 6:57 AM
I have a flat bending jig and I'm in Livermore. Come on over and I'll help you stamp those things out.