PDA

View Full Version : Cav Scout?

Maton
05-24-2009, 6:34 PM
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone here is a current/former cav scout? I am getting a bit older(29) and for some reason I have this burning desire to serve in the military once again.(Was active airforce 6 years) I loved the air force, but I always found it a bit watered down, and easy.(Security Forces) I was interested in joining the army reserve or guard, and cav scout seemed like a great gig. You get the traditions of the army, and the armor/infantry side of things. I am interested in being airborne, and possibly attending air assault and some other special schools. I'm not doing it for the school money, or the "I have nothing better to do" reasons, I have a great job in the federal government now, but theres something just tugging on my heart strings urging me to give it one last shot. Any advice would be great, I want to be in the "thick" of things if you catch my drift, and even though I've looked at 11B and Cav Scouts, I am a bit undecided. Thanks again for input!

goathead
05-24-2009, 6:57 PM
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone here is a current/former cav scout? I am getting a bit older(29) and for some reason I have this burning desire to serve in the military once again.(Was active airforce 6 years) I loved the air force, but I always found it a bit watered down, and easy.(Security Forces) I was interested in joining the army reserve or guard, and cav scout seemed like a great gig. You get the traditions of the army, and the armor/infantry side of things. I am interested in being airborne, and possibly attending air assault and some other special schools. I'm not doing it for the school money, or the "I have nothing better to do" reasons, I have a great job in the federal government now, but theres something just tugging on my heart strings urging me to give it one last shot. Any advice would be great, I want to be in the "thick" of things if you catch my drift, and even though I've looked at 11B and Cav Scouts, I am a bit undecided. Thanks again for input!

cavtrooper is all about 19D look him up

goathead
05-24-2009, 6:59 PM
also look in this thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=183124 there are 2 or 3 in here

CavTrooper
05-24-2009, 8:20 PM
Theres no Cav in the reserves and no reserve Infantry units in CA. Theres a few Cav and Infantry Guard units but you generally wont get Airborne, AA or anything good out of them.

If you really want to get into the thick stuff then go active, youll be better off being around Soldiers who train for war 24/7 than with used car salesmen who are Soldiers 38 days a year. ;)

76231b
05-29-2009, 6:20 PM
I am an 11B in a airborne cav unit. We basically do the same stuff. Only difference real difference from a real inf bat is I getta ride around in a HMMV while the inf bats are ruckin everywhere. Also cav is more cushy (good thing ;) ). Really, its the same job.

Manic Moran
05-29-2009, 6:55 PM
At your service.

http://www.clubi.ie/exalted/images/army/cluetl1.jpg

I'm armoured cav, live in San Jose and commute to Yerington NV for drill. If you're in SoCal, things get a little easier: There's a light cav unit in the San Diego area, San Bernadino should have an armoured cav platoon as well.
Just drive to Las Vegas for a full-on armoured cav squadron. (And home station drills in Vegas have a lot to say for themselves. Plus NVGuard has a lot more money for schools and such like.

It is a nice blend of dismount stuff, armoured stuff, and is a slightly different skillset to the infantryman. Slightly more emphasis on recon, slightly less on full-on, slugging-it-out infantry fights. (That said, we're currently mobilised configured as infantry). However, in CalGuard, at least, don't expect many 'cool' courses. They'll send you to airborne if you're in an airborne unit, etc, but California's money is just too tight for non-MOS-required courses. Part of the drug deal that enticed me to NV from my old CalGuard unit was that they would send me to resident schools, they had the money to spend.

NTM

Suvorov
06-05-2009, 5:49 PM
At your service.

http://www.clubi.ie/exalted/images/army/cluetl1.jpg

Looking good their Captain! :thumbsup:

socaldsal
06-06-2009, 3:19 AM
At your service.

CPT Moran, you look familiar, were you ever at G or C?

ro442173
06-06-2009, 4:46 AM
I'd talk to a recruiter about getting a Ranger contract. You go from basic to airborne to Ranger. Atleast that's what I would do if I could do it all over. It's easier to get a slot for these schools when they want you (i.e. enlisting/reuping).

Sounds like you got the right drive and attitude. If you feel highspeed enough you can probably get SF into your contract. DOn't know if they still offer those. Ofcourse getting there is all up to you.

goathead
06-06-2009, 9:10 AM
CPT Moran, you look familiar, were you ever at G or C?

i know you not asking me but whats g and c

Manic Moran
06-06-2009, 9:11 AM
"G or C"?

Since I don't recognise the term, I'll have to say 'no'

NTM

socaldsal
06-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Haha, sorry, G/C = Golf/Charlie TRP from 1/18 CAV.

CPT Moran, I must have mistaken you for someone else sir.

Manic Moran
06-06-2009, 1:52 PM
Nope, sorry. 1-149AR, 1-185AR were my main CalGuard haunts.

NTM

goathead
06-06-2009, 4:41 PM
Nope, sorry. 1-149AR, 1-185AR were my main CalGuard haunts.

NTM

are you at mob yet

mattman
06-06-2009, 9:13 PM
If you ain't cav, you ain't ****... When I went through OSUT we had a guy in his thirties he made it no problem. Plus you learn way more stuff than 11B. 11B's can't figure out how to call for fire or even fill a radio most of the time.
https://www.usarmor-assn.org/images/merchandise/spearhead.jpg

afro
06-07-2009, 9:29 PM
question about cav... i'm enlisting come january and it seems like this is the MOS for me.. just wondering how much actual combat you would see in say afghanistan

Manic Moran
06-07-2009, 10:01 PM
About as much as any other line unit. Like Armour, MPs, Artillery and Engineers, the personnel are basically being used as understrength infantry units. The real difference in usage is in the 'conventional' fight, with less emphasis on full-on brawls, but a greater variety of lower-intensity missions.

are you at mob yet

Yep. Mobilised Apr15.

4thSBCT
06-07-2009, 10:32 PM
go infantry don't go pog.

forgiven
06-07-2009, 10:56 PM
You guys are all :patriot:Thanks for your service.

ST5MF
06-08-2009, 1:47 AM
Hey guys,

You should look into the reserve Navy EOD Program. Not only do you get a ton of demo training but the opportunity to be Jump (Basic Airborne and MFF qualified) as well as DIVE (open and closed circuit) qualified.

I know quite a few EOD reserve guys who love Mobile Unit Seven in San Diego.

I am not EOD; but the training translates into big opportunities in both the GOV and CIV Sector. Infantry doesn't translate to much outside of the military.

Going to Hawaii to DIVE isn't a bad way to "drill" either.