PDA

View Full Version : Change to Kern County CCW rules

Fjold
05-24-2009, 2:34 PM
I just went to the class yesterday.

The big change is that (when carrying comcealed) if you have any contact with any law enforcement official you must immediately tell him that you have a CCW permit and are carrying your weapon.

The instructor also said that last year the Sheriff saw 10-12 applications per month. This spring they are seeing 18-20 applications per day.

MrClamperSir
05-24-2009, 2:37 PM
The big change is that (when carrying comcealed) if you have any contact with any law enforcement official you must immediately tell him that you have a CCW permit and are carrying your weapon.

That was not a requirement before? I was under the impression that was the case with CCW throughout CA.

socal2310
05-24-2009, 3:07 PM
That was not a requirement before? I was under the impression that was the case with CCW throughout CA.

No, there is nothing in the P.C. Sheriffs are permitted to make up any additional restrictions they see fit.

Ryan

MrClamperSir
05-24-2009, 3:11 PM
So if it doesn't say on you CCW it doesn't apply?

E Pluribus Unum
05-24-2009, 3:51 PM
My CCW instructor in Bakersfield told me that loaded= gun and ammo in general vicinity.

Can't always believe what a "ccw instructor" says.

CSDGuy
05-24-2009, 4:28 PM
Per PC, restrictions are supposed to be listed on the license...

MrClamperSir
05-24-2009, 4:42 PM
Unserstood, thanks.:thumbsup:

Fjold
05-24-2009, 6:32 PM
My CCW instructor in Bakersfield told me that loaded= gun and ammo in general vicinity.

Can't always believe what a "ccw instructor" says.

The CCW course instructors had to send their course syllabus into the Sheriff for review and approval last month. The Sheriff added information to all of them on new things that had to be taught in the course to meet the Sheriff's requirements.

One of the things added was a page of 12 Kern County permit conditions. This was No. 8 on the list.

artherd
05-24-2009, 6:56 PM
Not binding until listed on the CCW itself.

Librarian
05-24-2009, 7:12 PM
Right - PC 12050 (http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cacodes/pen/12050-12054.html) (b) A license may include any reasonable restrictions or
conditions which the issuing authority deems warranted, including
restrictions as to the time, place, manner, and circumstances under
which the person may carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm
capable of being concealed upon the person.
(c) Any restrictions imposed pursuant to subdivision (b) shall be
indicated on any license issued.

Liberty1
05-24-2009, 7:39 PM

That didn't help ConditionThree when his sheriff decided he did not like lawful UNloaded open being done for political 2nd A. promotion (a 1st A exercise in my book) by one HIS licensees and revoked the license (there were no restrictions printed on the license). But such is the level of corruption and tyranny by that self-styled "pro 2nd Amendment" and NRA member sheriff.

El Gato
05-24-2009, 8:05 PM

Please note my post on a different website: http://www.calccw.com/Forums/general-ccw-discussion/6600-kern-county-sheriffs-department-ccw-conditions.html

coypied and pasted...

I obtained a document from the Kern County Sheriff's Department recently and I believe the members here will benefit from the information. The applicant for a CCW from the Kern County Sheriff's Department must agree to and adhere by certain conditions when issued a permit.

While carrying the weapon under the CCW permit, the applicant:

o shall not ingest, inhale, inject or be under the influence of illegal drugs at any time or ingest or be under the influence of alcohol while carrying the weapon.
o Shall not represent self as a peace officer at any time.
o Shall not violate any federal, state, or local law, statute or ordinance.
o Shall not be under the influence of any mind-altering medication, including, but not limited to those labeled with a warning not to operate a motor vehicle or other machinery.
o Shall not impede any law enforcement officer in the performance of their duties.
o Shall not refuse to display or surrender their permits and weapon when requested to do so by a peace officer.
o Shall not unjustifiably display a deadly weapon.
o Shall immediately notify any peace officer with whom the licensee comes in contact with that the licensee is armed and has a permit in their possession.
o Shall abide by the restrictions or limitations placed on the permit.
o This permit does not authorize taking a firearm aboard any commercial aircraft.
o The 4 hour Training Certificates are only good for 60 days. You may take your 4 hour refresher course 60 days in advance, but we are not allowed to renew your permit before 30 days.
o If your permit expires, you will have to start the CCW process all over. There is no grace period, no exceptions.

This information is for informational puposes only. Any typographical errors are the result of the undersigned being ... well the undersigned.
Carry on..

Kid Stanislaus
05-24-2009, 8:09 PM
Geeze, are you allowed and flatulance type activities while carrying with your CCW?

El Gato
05-24-2009, 8:09 PM
No, there is nothing in the P.C. Sheriffs are permitted to make up any additional restrictions they see fit.

Ryan

at this point... the sheriff... MAY issue a permit... those who have permits are best advised to do as the Sheriff wishes.... or they won't be in the catagory of persons who MAY have a permit.... a change in the law is in order...

In Utah.. notifying the LEO the holder is carrying is mandated by Law... it is not an unusual condition...

DJ Skillz
05-24-2009, 8:21 PM

So if you get a speeding ticket or a parking ticket, they can revoke your CCW?

El Gato
05-24-2009, 8:27 PM
So if you get a speeding ticket or a parking ticket, they can revoke your CCW?

they can... do... esp. if it involves negligence... or dui...or other types of traffic which involve the holder being a doofus...doesn't happen often and most of the time it seems to be a one year wait to get a new one...

ccw is a priviledge not a right in Cali...keeping that in mind.. Kern county issues a ton of ccw's

sgtlmj
05-24-2009, 8:29 PM
In Michigan notification to LE is mandatory. Your CPL shows up on your driving status, so if they run you they'll see that you are a CPL holder.

Liberty1
05-24-2009, 8:30 PM
o shall not ingest, inhale, inject or be under the influence of illegal drugs at any time or ingest or be under the influence of alcohol while carrying the weapon.
o Shall not be under the influence of any mind-altering medication, including, but not limited to those labeled with a warning not to operate a motor vehicle or other machinery.
o Shall not impede any law enforcement officer in the performance of their duties.
o Shall not refuse to display or surrender their permits and weapon when requested to do so by a peace officer.
o Shall not unjustifiably display a deadly weapon.
o Shall immediately notify any peace officer with whom the licensee comes in contact with that the licensee is armed and has a permit in their possession.
o Shall abide by the restrictions or limitations placed on the permit.
o This permit does not authorize taking a firearm aboard any commercial aircraft.
o The 4 hour Training Certificates are only good for 60 days. You may take your 4 hour refresher course 60 days in advance, but we are not allowed to renew your permit before 30 days.
o If your permit expires, you will have to start the CCW process all over. There is no grace period, no exceptions.

Are they now issuing scroll rice paper licenses? That is a lot to print on the license!!! But hey, what does any sheriff actually care for the penal code?

Fjold
05-24-2009, 8:40 PM
Are they now issuing scroll rice paper licenses? That is a lot to print on the license!!! But hey, what does any sheriff actually care for the penal code?

Actually the permits are about 5"x5" thin paper, almost rice paper like.

We were told that the County had just gotten the machine and supplies last week to issue a credit card/license card sized permits. If they wanted to they could issue the permit as a 40 page document.

El Gato
05-24-2009, 8:45 PM
Actually the permits are about 5"x5' thin paper, almost rice paper like.

We were told that the County had just gotten the machine and supplies last week to issue a credit card/license card sized permits. If they wanted to they could issue the permit as a 40 page document.

Actually..
rice paper is still in effect
KCSO owns the equip to do the credit card ccw's and was shut down last summer by the DOJ...before they started issue... haven't heard they will start back up.. they have been changing Sgt.s like once every few months so anybodys guess is as good as mine...
they don't put these conditions on the permit.. they are conditions you agree to in receiving the permit.. they aren't restrictions.. they are issued sans restrictions on carry..
The Bakersfield PD often restricts the license to vehicle or business use only..

OC is issuing credit card style ccw's last I heard... haven't seen one.

Fjold
05-24-2009, 8:51 PM
I don't mind the conditions, I'm just glad to live in a County with a Sheriff that isn't scared of the DOJ.

The best thing about having a pro-Second Amendment, non-elitist type of guy for Sheriff is that the attitude comes down through the rest of the department. I know half a dozen deputies, a couple of lieutenants and an under sheriff, (active and retired) and everyone has been the very pro-armed citizen type.

CitaDeL
05-24-2009, 8:56 PM
While carrying the weapon under the CCW permit, the applicant:

o Shall not refuse to display or surrender their permits and weapon when requested to do so by a peace officer.*
o Shall not unjustifiably display a deadly weapon.**
o Shall immediately notify any peace officer with whom the licensee comes in contact with that the licensee is armed and has a permit in their possession.***
o Shall abide by the restrictions or limitations placed on the permit.****

* Your second amendment right is suspended during traffic stops or any encounter with police. You cannot keep or bear arms while police are talking to you.
** The language is too broad to exclude incidencal exposure, printing, or legal exposed carry. Effectively any display except immediate self-defense is prohibited.
*** Language is too broad to exclude voluntary contact- so if a police officer passes a licensee and says 'Hi', the licensee would be in violation of the issuing agencies policy if they do not immediately inform the officer that they are carrying and have a 'permit'.
****If the restrictions are reasonable and are imprinted on the license, that license would be restricted. As has been pointed out, if the license has no restrictions imprinted on it, there are no restrictions. So for instance, if one has obtained a license to carry concealed in Kern County and the Kern County officials have placed a requirement such as "Must notify all officers of your state of being armed and present license"- that restriction must appear on the license. If it doesnt it is IMPOSSIBLE for any other agency to be aware of the issuing agencies policy and what's more, it violates state law.

The issuing agency only digs themselves a deeper hole when they revoke based upon restrictions not published on the license or restrictions made 'ex post facto'.

Bob Ragen
05-24-2009, 9:12 PM
I had my CCW interview on 05/20/09 the deputy giving the interview was very clear and gave a reasonable answer as to why you should notify an LEO you are a CCW holder, you are carrying, where the weapon is and how they want to procede. I have no problem with that, and especially don't want to be drug out of my vehicle at gun point because I didn't tell them.

If they see a gun and you did not tell them at first contact they are going to assume your a BG. Can you blame them considering the recent events such as Oakland.

MrClamperSir
05-24-2009, 9:19 PM
In Utah.. notifying the LEO the holder is carrying is mandated by Law... it is not an unusual condition...

Texas as well

SDI
05-24-2009, 9:29 PM

Not a big deal really but this is not the case anymore with the Utah permit. You used to have to disclose, but not now. They still recomend it though for obvious reasons.

El Gato
05-24-2009, 9:47 PM
Not a big deal really but this is not the case anymore with the Utah permit. You used to have to disclose, but not now. They still recomend it though for obvious reasons.

To my knowledge... as a Utah Instructor... Utah Admin. rules have not changed... pulled off their website tonight...

http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/bulletin/2005/20051015/28250.htm

R722-300-[13]12. Requirement to Notify Peace Officer When Stopped.

When a concealed firearm permit holder or certificate of qualification holder is stopped for questioning by a peace officer based on reasonable suspicion in accordance with Section 77-7-15 and the holder has a concealed firearm in his/her possession, the holder shall immediately advise the peace officer that he/she is a lawful holder and has a concealed firearm in his/her possession.

and from the BCI instructors manual....

Do I have the duty to notify a LEO, when stopped, that I am carrying concealed?

a. I have the absolute Duty to identify myself to a police officer as a permit holder in possession of a handgun. This rule is covered in Public Safety Rule R724-4-13.
b. If an officer finds or sees a gun on your person during their contact with you, and you have not identified yourself as a permit holder in legal possession of a firearm, the officer must assume you are carrying the gun illegally and will take defensive action. For the safety of all involved, it is better to immediately identify yourself to the officer as a permit holder in possession of a handgun. This action gives the officer some assurance they are most likely dealing with a law abiding citizen.

Which is good advice to all who carry concealed...

JimAmentler
05-24-2009, 10:13 PM
To my knowledge... as a Utah Instructor... Utah Admin. rules have not changed... pulled off their website tonight...

http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/bulletin/2005/20051015/28250.htm

R722-300-[13]12. Requirement to Notify Peace Officer When Stopped.

When a concealed firearm permit holder or certificate of qualification holder is stopped for questioning by a peace officer based on reasonable suspicion in accordance with Section 77-7-15 and the holder has a concealed firearm in his/her possession, the holder shall immediately advise the peace officer that he/she is a lawful holder and has a concealed firearm in his/her possession.

and from the BCI instructors manual....

Do I have the duty to notify a LEO, when stopped, that I am carrying concealed?

a. I have the absolute Duty to identify myself to a police officer as a permit holder in possession of a handgun. This rule is covered in Public Safety Rule R724-4-13.
b. If an officer finds or sees a gun on your person during their contact with you, and you have not identified yourself as a permit holder in legal possession of a firearm, the officer must assume you are carrying the gun illegally and will take defensive action. For the safety of all involved, it is better to immediately identify yourself to the officer as a permit holder in possession of a handgun. This action gives the officer some assurance they are most likely dealing with a law abiding citizen.

Which is good advice to all who carry concealed...

The requirement changed last year. At my recert course last November they were speaking about it and how it is no longer required, but recommended that you notify the officer. Here is a link to the FAQ from Utah BCI:

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQ.html

If I get stopped by a police officer, do I, as a permit holder, have to tell the officer that I have a gun in my possession?

Although there is no legal requirement to identify yourself to a law enforcement officer, it is recommended to do so.

If an officer finds or sees a gun on your person during their contact with you, and you have not identified yourself as a permit holder in legal possession of a firearm, the officer must assume you are carrying the gun illegally and will take defensive action. For the safety of all involved, it is better to immediately identify yourself to the officer as a permit holder in possession of a handgun. This action gives the officer some assurance they are most likely dealing with a law abiding citizen.

ETA: Yes, it is a good idea to advise the officer and it is what I do and what I recommend to my students.

El Gato
05-24-2009, 10:32 PM
The requirement changed last year. At my recert course last November they were speaking about it and how it is no longer required, but recommended that you notify the officer. Here is a link to the FAQ from Utah BCI:

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQ.html

If I get stopped by a police officer, do I, as a permit holder, have to tell the officer that I have a gun in my possession?

Although there is no legal requirement to identify yourself to a law enforcement officer, it is recommended to do so.

If an officer finds or sees a gun on your person during their contact with you, and you have not identified yourself as a permit holder in legal possession of a firearm, the officer must assume you are carrying the gun illegally and will take defensive action. For the safety of all involved, it is better to immediately identify yourself to the officer as a permit holder in possession of a handgun. This action gives the officer some assurance they are most likely dealing with a law abiding citizen.

ETA: Yes, it is a good idea to advise the officer and it is what I do and what I recommend to my students.

Now that the thread has been seriously shunted off to a new direction.. thanks... Wish Utah would send a printed update/newsletter etc. for instructors....
I have my recert in Oct/nov...
just found out about the changes.. a couple of months ago...however the admin rules are still posted on the website as unchanged...as of tonight...
still think it smart to tell the cops.. highly recommended IMHO....

vinny_land
05-24-2009, 11:02 PM
7 more months until I turn 21 to purchase a handgun. CCW in Bakersfield is a great thing and hopefully I will be eligible to get one.

Sam
05-25-2009, 12:49 AM
I signed the above restriction document back in February and was told it would be a good idea to alert a LEO that I was licensed/carrying by the CCW instructor when I took my class last December.

El Gato, can you extrapolate a little on how speeding tickets may lead to a revocation of the license? I'd never get myself into a DUI or anything reckless but sometimes I catch myself going a tad over the speed limit at times and it would suck big time to get it revoked for something like that.

Mulishafmxxx
05-25-2009, 6:13 AM
I was denied my ccw in Kern County. Politics are most likely the cause, me being 24 years old at the time of my first application. Well this year i'm going to try again. Being a newspaper carrier i have had so much happen to me, been beaten and robbed, had a gun pointed at my head, rolled up on dozens of car thefts in progress while on foot in dark alleys, i have to walk approx. 1 mile of dark alleys a morning between 2-6am 7 days a week, last saturday a car theft was in progress and i did not know and two men chased me and said they were going to shoot, the saturday prior to that i was leaving my fiancee's house and came face to face with a man tampering with my motorcycle before fleeing. i've been shooting since i was old enough to hold a gun and have nothing but respect for the law and the law enforcment agencies, never been arrested, never even had a ticket! i do all my banking at 1-2am via ATM, carry no less than $200 in my wallet at all times. I am also a computer tech and have thousands of dollars worth of computers and software in the back of my work van that i use for the paper route. I have been doing the paper route for 8 years and have no plans to quit anytime soon. any thoughts on my situation? plus BPD is almost always out of avalible units. if i get denied this year what else can i do? im not going to bring a knife to a gun fight, even though i do know i would do everything in my power to avoid ever having to draw my firearm.

parcours
05-25-2009, 6:50 AM
Does San Bernardino County have the same requirement?

tenpercentfirearms
05-25-2009, 8:04 AM
I was denied my ccw in Kern County. Politics are most likely the cause, me being 24 years old at the time of my first application. Well this year i'm going to try again. Being a newspaper carrier i have had so much happen to me, been beaten and robbed, had a gun pointed at my head, rolled up on dozens of car thefts in progress while on foot in dark alleys, i have to walk approx. 1 mile of dark alleys a morning between 2-6am 7 days a week, last saturday a car theft was in progress and i did not know and two men chased me and said they were going to shoot, the saturday prior to that i was leaving my fiancee's house and came face to face with a man tampering with my motorcycle before fleeing. i've been shooting since i was old enough to hold a gun and have nothing but respect for the law and the law enforcment agencies, never been arrested, never even had a ticket! i do all my banking at 1-2am via ATM, carry no less than $200 in my wallet at all times. I am also a computer tech and have thousands of dollars worth of computers and software in the back of my work van that i use for the paper route. I have been doing the paper route for 8 years and have no plans to quit anytime soon. any thoughts on my situation? plus BPD is almost always out of avalible units. if i get denied this year what else can i do? im not going to bring a knife to a gun fight, even though i do know i would do everything in my power to avoid ever having to draw my firearm.

Are you applying to the city or the county? DO NOT APPLY TO BPD! You will get denied again.

Use the reasons you just stated and apply to the county. If you have been denied by the city, list that too. Unless you have a history, you are a prime candidate.

Back to the topic, I have never notified an officer I was armed on a traffic stop. I think the only time I did is when I was talking to my KCSD and TPD cousins in front of Hacienda Grill and said I liked my Glock 27 in my waistband or something like that. There were like six cops there and a couple of them suddenly tensed up. The cousins nonchallantly mentioned I was a gun shop owner and a good guy. LOL.

I might have to start notifying LEOs that I am armed (if I am). Maybe I can get out of my next ticket.

Wulf
05-25-2009, 8:11 AM

That's actually a little vague and potentially very troublsome for the Sheriffs constituents.

For instance. I was sitting in the barbers chair the other day. I was chatting with a guy sitting in the waiting chairs when he identified himself as a Deputy. Would I need to notify in that situation. What about when I'm at 7-11 getting a slurpy with the kids and a LEO walks in for coffee and says "hi".

Also, what about the guy that gets stopped for something innocuous while in Frisco. If the holder says he's strapped he's going to be in for a completely unnecessary ride.

Our local policy in Placer, according to the deputy that teaches the class, is that you notify when ever you have contact with an leo that may involve a terry search. Basically you say something when its clear they are going to get you out of the car.

They also have the rule that you make a call to the dept any time you "loose concealment", either intentionally or unintentionally and its noticed by someone. That's a good policy IMHO. They're trying to help you protect yourself by being the reporting party.

MrClamperSir
05-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Placer sounds like they have it down pretty well.

RomanDad
05-25-2009, 12:22 PM

No.... Your CCW is issued with all sorts of "conditions" that are part of the application you sign, but arent listed on the permit (cant carry while drunk for instance) namely because the permit is WAY TO SMALL to put them all on there... Some are issued with ADDITIONAL restrictions unique to the applicant ("Course & scope of Business" etc). THOSE are listed on the permit itself.

RomanDad
05-25-2009, 12:25 PM
OC is issuing credit card style ccw's last I heard... haven't seen one.

I have it.... Its very nice.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/MovieLawyer/OCCCW_edited-1.jpg

The back has the signature, Guns, Fingerprint and a place for restrictions.

gbran
05-25-2009, 12:34 PM
To renew a ccw in Kern County it it up to the holder to go take their refresher class, then go to the sheriffs office, who will immediately renew the permit. If you are one day late, you have to start over pretty much as if you'd never had a permit.

Because of the high numbers of folks getting ccw's and the few classes available, you really need to plan ahead and make sure you have a class scheduled in time.

vinny_land
05-25-2009, 1:58 PM
Are you applying to the city or the county? DO NOT APPLY TO BPD! You will get denied again.

Use the reasons you just stated and apply to the county. If you have been denied by the city, list that too. Unless you have a history, you are a prime candidate.

Agreed. Some of my friends always recommend going straight to the Sheriff's office instead. Im thinking I'll get denied if I apply because I dont have "good cause"

Liberty1
05-25-2009, 3:31 PM
I will say a good thing about Kern laws (or rather lack there of): Unincorporated County area is 99.9 percent Loaded Open Carry territory, except State and National Park lands, as Kern only prohibits discharge in County owned or maintained parks - last time I checked.

GoodEyeSniper
05-25-2009, 3:48 PM
Can you add firearms to your permit at any time? Fill out a form and qualify with it and be good to go in a few weeks? Or how does that work.

For instance you carry a full size beretta 92fs, and a 1911, however you find a good deal on a g19 when you already have your permit, and would like something a bit lighter for the summer months, can you somehow get that added on?

El Gato
05-25-2009, 4:56 PM
Agreed. Some of my friends always recommend going straight to the Sheriff's office instead. Im thinking I'll get denied if I apply because I dont have "good cause"

always go ahead and do the app. first....

They only honor the initial class certificate for 90 days...
they are at least 14 weeks behind...
They want you to do the app first and they do not charge you for the app.
You might be suprised how easy it is to do a good cause....
PM me when you get ready... I'm writing an article on how to do this in Kern.. .almost finished.. will send you the rough draft...

El Gato
05-25-2009, 4:58 PM
Can you add firearms to your permit at any time? Fill out a form and qualify with it and be good to go in a few weeks? Or how does that work.

For instance you carry a full size beretta 92fs, and a 1911, however you find a good deal on a g19 when you already have your permit, and would like something a bit lighter for the summer months, can you somehow get that added on?

changing guns takes about 5 minutes if they aren't busy...
cost me 3 bucks last time I did it..
don't do it like 5 times a year or they'll get irritated....
but the girls at the counter are easy to get along with...
Up until last summer they did everything on 3x5 cards ... they now have everything on computer and changing guns is a snap...

Fjold
05-25-2009, 5:24 PM
I asked the same questions about what "contact" meant and the instructor said that he had asked also. Basically, if you have any official contact with an LEO in the course of their job you have to inform him that you are a CCW permitee and are armed. He specifically said that just saying "Hi" etc. to a cop is not a reason to have to identify yourself as a permitee.

vinny_land
05-25-2009, 8:24 PM
always go ahead and do the app. first....

They only honor the initial class certificate for 90 days...
they are at least 14 weeks behind...
They want you to do the app first and they do not charge you for the app.
You might be suprised how easy it is to do a good cause....
PM me when you get ready... I'm writing an article on how to do this in Kern.. .almost finished.. will send you the rough draft...

:thumbsup: Gotta wait a few more months till I turn 21 in December. Dont mind reading your rough draft though.

Sam
05-25-2009, 11:20 PM

What you wrote sounds like a fine good cause for Kern County. If you are an employee it would also be a good idea to get a letter from your employer backing up your claims about transporting computer equipment. Although we all have different good causes, my age didn't stop me from being approved and I'm applied about a few months after my 21st birthday.

Mulishafmxxx
05-26-2009, 6:13 AM
I did not apply with BPD, i applyed with the sheriff's office. i have friends that just wanted theirs, with no real good cause to back it up and they got theirs awhile ago. very frustrating! i appealed the max amount of times and still got turned down. we shall see what this year holds for me. if i get denied again with that much of a good cause, what can i do?

El Gato
09-28-2010, 9:16 PM
I did not apply with BPD, i applyed with the sheriff's office. i have friends that just wanted theirs, with no real good cause to back it up and they got theirs awhile ago. very frustrating! i appealed the max amount of times and still got turned down. we shall see what this year holds for me. if i get denied again with that much of a good cause, what can i do?

reading zombie threads again...

just an update .... our friend M has his permit...all is well in Bako...