PDA

View Full Version : check out the bolt on my new LMT

SubstanceP
05-24-2009, 12:46 PM
What's up with all the particles and, ahhh, isn't it missing something? Like the bolt rings? :eek:

Brand new. Just out of the box. 300 rounds thru the rifle.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c299/boates/034.jpg

OofieXD
05-24-2009, 12:50 PM
How is it brand new if there's 300 rounds thru the rifle? Do you mean you got the bolt this way and shot the rifle without the extractor and rings?

SubstanceP
05-24-2009, 12:52 PM
No. I took it out and shot some thru it. Then disassmbled it for cleaning and I noticed no bolt rings. wth?

xm177
05-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Obviously the extractor was attached. The rings is a different issue...surprised it functioned without those....i'm tagging this thread because I have no idea what those flakes are.

SubstanceP
05-24-2009, 12:59 PM
It's a brand new outta the box LMT Defender 16in piston from LMT. Rainier ARMS installed the bullet button and transfered it down here to my FFL. Somebody at LMT obviously screwed up and didn't installl the rings. I'm just wondering if and damage has been done using it without the rings. Think I'll call LMT Tuesday. Sheesh.

SubstanceP
05-24-2009, 1:12 PM
I'm thinking their piston models aren't supposed to have any bolt rings for some reason. I happened to have three extra rings so I installed them and the bolt definately doesn't slide properly with them on. Also, I have one of LMT's enhanced SA BCGs and it's bolt (with rings) does not want to slide into piston model's BCG. Interesting.

ironcross
05-24-2009, 1:31 PM
Obviously the extractor was attached. The rings is a different issue...surprised it functioned without those....i'm tagging this thread because I have no idea what those flakes are.

Looks like brass shavings...

OP looks at your fired casings.

cryptkeeper
05-24-2009, 1:36 PM
I don't think it will have the gas rings because you're not putting any gas into the receiver like you would with the DI system.

Josh3239
05-24-2009, 2:24 PM
Pat Rogers of EAG has run his AR with only 1 gas ring. I have never heard of it being run with 0 gas rings but then again everyone seems to grossly underestimate the AR.

Blacktail 8541
05-24-2009, 2:33 PM
I remember reading that piston ARs do not use gas rings. The other is brass shaveings from the cartridge case.

TZL
05-24-2009, 2:47 PM
those are brass shaving from soft brass, are you shooting older reloaded brass?

My sig556s tear up older brass and leave alot of little brass shavings....

DirtRacer151
05-24-2009, 2:48 PM
no rings on the bolt of a piston gun

SubstanceP
05-24-2009, 3:12 PM
those are brass shaving from soft brass, are you shooting older reloaded brass?

My sig556s tear up older brass and leave alot of little brass shavings....

No. It was 62 grain Privi stuff. Interesting thing is I shot about 150 thru my Noveske and no shavings.

no rings on the bolt of a piston gun

That's got to be the case. Thanks.

B Strong
05-24-2009, 3:32 PM
I've had a LWRC and a POF bolt in hand and disassembled - no rings on either.

tango5
05-24-2009, 5:01 PM
Looks like bits of corn flakes to me, lol.

phsieh10
05-24-2009, 5:54 PM
The bolt rings aren't needed on piston uppers. The only thing the do is prevent the BC from falling out if you open the receiver on a downward angle. I have a pof that doesn't have them, but my lwrc does. I asked LWRC why they had rings, and the answer was so the BC doesn't fall out when you open it.

Cal-Irish
05-24-2009, 6:27 PM
I get the brass shavings. Not near as much as that. I was told the extractor is rough on cases Feeding from the mag can also leave some brass to be found.

Note: My rifle has only had 80 rounds through it.

X-NewYawker
05-24-2009, 6:46 PM
I have passed this thread on to LMT

hawk1
05-24-2009, 7:17 PM
The bolt rings aren't needed on piston uppers. The only thing the do is prevent the BC from falling out if you open the receiver on a downward angle. I have a pof that doesn't have them, but my lwrc does. I asked LWRC why they had rings, and the answer was so the BC doesn't fall out when you open it.

How does the rings on a bolt keep the carrier from falling out if you open the receiver on a downward angle?
The bolt won't fall out of the carrier as it is held in place by the cam pin.

SubstanceP
05-24-2009, 8:02 PM
I have passed this thread on to LMT

Please post their response. I'm bettin' no rings required for the piston. Four different bolts I tried did not fit properly into the LMT MRP BCG.

aplinker
05-24-2009, 8:46 PM
1.) Gas piston uppers don't need rings on the bolt as their function is to seal the bolt for gas operation. Since no gas is transferred into the bolt (as it would be in a DI) there's no reason for the gas rings.

2.) The "gold" are pieces of brass casings. This is indicative of a good, strong extractor running on an upper that's overgassed or has a short time differential between firing and extraction (shorter gas systems tend to have this). The casing doesn't have time to reduce pressure and contract, so it is "stuck" more in the chamber. I'm actually surprised the LMT GP does this.

ProlificARProspect
05-24-2009, 9:02 PM
Nothing wrong here, I have a Piston LMT 16'', it also doesn't have no gas rings. As stated by other members no gas rings needed for piston operation.

look at your Carrier, Notice the carrier is also a little diferent that the DI carrier?....

The brass shavings are normal.

SubstanceP
05-24-2009, 9:11 PM
Nothing wrong here, I have a Piston LMT 16'', it also doesn't have no gas rings. As stated by other members no gas rings needed for piston operation.

look at your Carrier, Notice the carrier is also a little diferent that the DI carrier?....

The brass shavings are normal.

yep. and the diameter is oh so slightly smaller. thx!