PDA

View Full Version : Found a Glock 29, and a Glock 18 too!

pogo
05-18-2005, 9:35 AM
I just found a consignment G29 and put it on layaway, I'm 2 DROSes behind so I can't DROS and pick it up for 66 days. Apparently the fellow didn't realize the 10mm was a hot round, and after one box of ammo decided to "unload" it, pi.

The Glock 18? Well while doing searches on the G29 I found a Glock 18 mpg MOVIE, the real thing would have proved to be problematic.

http://www.bsg-dornier.de/schiessen/filme/hsp/glock18_cut.mpg

imported_lunde
05-18-2005, 9:54 AM
If that G29 on consignment is a true consignment gun, then it is treated as a PPT, and thus exempt from the "one handgun per thirty days" garbage.

trempel_ry@yahoo.com
05-18-2005, 9:57 AM
Exactly what Lunde said. Private party consignment sales are exempt from the 1/month rule. Pay the money, pick it up in 10 days.

pogo
05-18-2005, 8:52 PM
Thanks very much Dr Lunde and Trempel, that information is indeed helpful.

I'll go back to Turners and clarify exactly what this sale is, whether it's a consignment, as they called it, or in fact something else, and then proceed from there.

pogo
05-18-2005, 9:12 PM
I don't know if it's a "true" consignment or not, they certainly called it a consignment. I've paid in full, that is to say I paid with a CC, so I will actually pay in a month. They said the seller wouldn't get the money until it was DROSed to me.

I just called Turners tonite, right before closing time, the short answer being "nope, nope, we treat consignments like any other transfer, it's got to wait the 66 days unless its a walk-in PPT...."

I'll look into it more on the weekend when I have time. Of course I'd like to get it right away, but they're holding all of the <STRIKE>aces</STRIKE> guns here.

05-19-2005, 12:05 AM
That's BS! I've bought many consignment hand guns from L A Guns and they were always excempt from the 30 day thing. They just don't want to do the extra paperwork. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif Take your money somewhere else.

stealthgoat
05-19-2005, 7:46 AM
I have bought several consignment "off the list" from local Turners. They told me that the "one a month" rule was NOT waived for consignment, when I bought two same day I had to wait 60+ days for the 2nd one.
I would take my money elsewhere as has been suggested, but not many 'off-list' Colts in socal.

ocjimmy
05-24-2005, 8:02 AM
Man, the minutiae flies!

Look, Consignment is simply paying the current owner when the gun sells, not up-front.

Some dealers do their version of consignment just like an advance ppt. Others add it to their logs making it necessary to be part of the 30 day nonsense.

Since it's on the 'list', Turners prefers to log it and sell it as a used gun.

There are several ways in CA for a dealer to sell a non-list gun.

1) Do an advance ppt.

2) Do it as a pawn and after 30 days sell it as a pawn broker would (pawn return).(Turners does this)

3) log it and sell it out of state.

Any one of these can still be done 'under consignment.'

Turners is the largest chain of gun dealers in the state. I understand that they want to be a bit more careful with used firearms. If you don't like the policy, shop elsewhere.

Small dealers, like the ones mentioned are under a lot less scrutiny and may be a little more willing to stretch a ppt.

I buy from Turners and small dealers. While I too prefer PPT, I also like good deals like a New Benelli M1 Tactial for $699 at Turners. $230 below list and about $50.00 below cost. I should pick it up in time for memorial day.

The whole notion of the 'list' sucks cheese along with the 30 day wait between handguns. For that matter so does the 10 day if you already own firearms.

The more I think about it and the absolute brainless kooks that run our state legislature, the better Arizona sounds to me.

BTW....Good job on the find!

Turbinator
05-25-2005, 8:37 AM
So which version of consignment requires that the original owner DROS the gun if they decide to cancel the consignment sale?

Turby

imported_1911_sfca
05-25-2005, 11:16 AM
I was in LA a couple weeks ago and asked about a consignment gun at Turners. They told me the 1-a-month rule applies because it's an LA ordinance for inside the LA city limits. Don't know whether that's true or not.

pogo
05-26-2005, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Jimmy:

.... There are several ways in CA for a dealer to sell a non-list gun......
2) Do it as a pawn and after 30 days sell it as a pawn broker would (pawn return).(Turners does this)
BTW....Good job on the find!

Good answer Jimmy, thanks for clearing that up, it explains why Turners always waits 30 days before a consignment gun can sell.

SF1911 I understand LA makes it difficult for gunshops, but this particular store is outside of LA city limits, the Turners employee probably threw out his best guess about it.