PDA

View Full Version : State lines

abber
05-23-2009, 7:57 PM
Can I legally carry a handgun from California to Nevada and back? Are there any special rules, or can I lock it up like always, with ammo in a separate container, and take it there and back? Please give firm answers, not speculation.

umoja
05-23-2009, 8:01 PM
I'm sure you would have to carry it in a locked container (that is not your glove compartment) and the ammo somewhere else. I'm not sure of any other restrictions though.

JDay
05-23-2009, 8:02 PM
Lock it up until you cross state lines, once in Nevada you can load it up and carry concealed in your vehicle. Can't be concealed on your person in the vehicle without a permit though.

Requiem
probably better to post this in the handguns forum my friend ;)

As for an answer, I don't know :(

Requiem
Lock it up until you cross state lines, once in Nevada you can load it up and carry concealed in your vehicle.

IF YOU HAVE A CCW LICENSE!

Right?

JDay
05-23-2009, 8:04 PM
IF YOU HAVE A CCW LICENSE!

Right?

No permit required.

http://www.nsrpa.us/legal/nevlocal.html

Can I Conceal a Firearm Without a Permit?

Without a CCW permit, a firearm may be concealed in your home or vehicle as long as it is not on your person, concealed by your person, or in a personal item (such as a purse, backpack, briefcase) carried by you.

Loaded open carry is legal too, however in Clark County you should get a blue card (handgun registration) from the police.

Theseus
05-23-2009, 8:12 PM
I dont' know.

I had an answer, but the wording of the law is a little questionable and not interpreted enough to say.

domokun
05-23-2009, 9:06 PM
No permit required.

http://www.nsrpa.us/legal/nevlocal.html

Loaded open carry is legal too, however in Clark County you should get a blue card (handgun registration) from the police.

Clark county ordinances have been amended to not requiring folks staying less than 60 days inside the county from being required to register their handguns upon arrival within the county. I'm only 85% sure about it, someone better double check. :TFH:

M. Sage
05-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Lock it up until you cross state lines, once in Nevada you can load it up and carry concealed in your vehicle. Can't be concealed on your person in the vehicle without a permit though.

This. No requirement to separate ammo from the handgun, including loaded mags, while traveling in CA. http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12031.html

A court decision says that loaded means loaded in the normal sense of the word: ammo in the gun's magazine and/or chamber or in the case of a revolver in the cylinder.

GoodEyeSniper
05-23-2009, 10:42 PM
This. No requirement to separate ammo from the handgun, including loaded mags, while traveling in CA. http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12031.html

A court decision says that loaded means loaded in the normal sense of the word: ammo in the gun's magazine and/or chamber or in the case of a revolver in the cylinder.

interesting. I was curious. Because my POS car is a hatchback, with no cover over the "trunk" portion. So technically, anything in the trunk is still obtainable from the passenger compartment, it's all just kinda one area...

hawk81
05-24-2009, 8:40 AM
The locked up handgun doesn't have to be in your trunk. It can ride up front with you.

interesting. I was curious. Because my POS car is a hatchback, with no cover over the "trunk" portion. So technically, anything in the trunk is still obtainable from the passenger compartment, it's all just kinda one area...

TatankaGap
05-24-2009, 8:43 AM

Separate lockable container, locked with the unloaded weapon inside it. Physically inaccessible while driving.

DDT
05-24-2009, 10:27 AM

then put it in a locked container while in your car. The only thing different about crossing state lines is that you have to obey the laws of whichever state you happen to be in at the moment in question. There are no special limits on interstate transport.

M. Sage
05-24-2009, 10:32 AM

Did you get a plastic "lunchbox" with your pistol? Put it in that and padlock it. Buy a cheap lockable soft-side pistol case. Put it in a small lockable tool box or something. A backpack or duffel that has a lockable zipper works.

Just has to be a locked container.

Separate lockable container, locked with the unloaded weapon inside it. Physically inaccessible while driving.

Read 12031. Just has to be locked and unloaded, need not be separate. The locked container can legally rest on your lap if you wish. The only things that matter are

1) locked container (not including glove box or utility compartment) and
2) unloaded firearm, meaning no loaded mag in gun, no round in chamber or cylinder.

That's it. It ain't rocket surgery.

CA_Libertarian
05-24-2009, 10:55 PM

Not sure what was meant by "seperate" container... it just has to be a container other than your glove box or console. (Though you can put your locking container in either of these.)

Of course, the other option is to just open carry an unloaded weapon. That's what I do when I go to NV.

To the best of my knowledge, their concealed carry law only applies to weapons on your person. Your car is not your person in NV (unlike CA), so you can load up and conceal in your glove box or console once you cross state lines.

DRM6000
05-24-2009, 11:28 PM
in nv, a loaded handgun in the car is fine. just don't conceal upon your person.

for rifles, carry them unloaded. unloaded in nv is defined as no round in the chamber.

motorhead
05-25-2009, 9:52 AM
i went to school in az back in the late 70s. i was working at a car wash, it was amusing how many people had handguns and even the occaisional shotgun under the car seat. even funnier that most left them there while we washed the car.

abber
06-01-2009, 9:24 AM
I asked this because somebody in Nevada said that California had a law against me taking my guns out of the state, then bringing them back. It didn't make any sense to me, but gun laws don't always make sense. my parents now live in Sparks, so I want to be legal when I go there to shoot with my old man.