PDA

View Full Version : AR Advice..

Fedor_King
05-23-2009, 4:19 PM
So I finally decided to take the legal AR-15 plunge and purchased a stripped lower today. I no longer can handle you guys in the rifle forums showing off those cool looking toys :)

I do not speak AR language so I am having a lot of trouble figuring out what in the world I need to buy.

I am asking for some suggestions on putting my rifle together. I am hoping to spend something around the 1300-1500 range and have a couple of ideas on what I want the final product to have.

Mainly--

- .556 Match barrel so I have the option of shooting both .556 and .223.

- A collapsible stock.

- An awesome trigger, hopefully a two step trigger that is very light.

If you guys can point me to specific equip, builds, brands or websites to buy this gear-- I would appreciate it. Also, if anything I said does not make sense-- feel free to school me. Any suggestions are welcomes, especially ones to that deal with triggers and uppers.

Thanks.

aplinker
05-23-2009, 4:24 PM
Start by reading through the thread in my signature.

Your issue is going to be finding stock.

Although there are dozens improved triggers out there, from my perspective there are about 3 that really make sense. For pure value, the RRA NM is the way to go. If you want a really light single stage, go Timney 3lb. If you want the best trigger ever in an AR, get a Geissele.

You'll probably want to spend time reading through threads about which stock to use and why.

Some good thoughts for you to have:

How will you use your rifle?
What range typically? Maximum?
Will you shoot offhand, bench, bipod, on the move?
Will you do any competing?
Hunting?
What kind of ammo will you generally use? Do you reload?

These questions will help you know what to use.

Fedor_King
05-23-2009, 4:35 PM
Thanks.

Shane916
05-23-2009, 4:46 PM
It's also 5.56 :thumbsup:

missiontrails
05-23-2009, 5:52 PM
SHTF, or precision target shooting?

Josh3239
05-23-2009, 6:00 PM
If you have Fedor in your username you had better get an awesome AR ;)

bombadillo
05-23-2009, 6:22 PM
I say buy a White Oak Armament 18-24" complete upper and slap it on your lower with a standard lower parts kit, ergo grip, (or grip of choice) and snag one of the many Sabre Defense uppers on PKfirearms.com website that they keep building. 18" stainless barrel 1:8 twist for a wide bullet grain variety, very accurate, and has a killer rail for the price. Buttstock to vary by choice, but I prefer Ace, Magpul, and A2 standard buttstocks.

Futurecollector
05-23-2009, 6:24 PM
Whats Fedor?

Josh3239
05-23-2009, 8:03 PM
Whats Fedor?

The best fighter out there. Been the Russian Sambo champ for years and undeafeted in MMA (only loss was to a cut from an illegal strike, long story). Its the fight Randy Couture really wants, he just knocked out Andrei Arlovski who trains with Freddie Roach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedor_Emelianenko
http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Fedor-Emelianenko-1500

Fedor_King
05-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Josh-- that is awesome you know Fedor is. I saw him fight twice in LA. I am from Ukraine so I got that soviet blood pumping through me-- when we watch him fight, he truly represents everything a champion should be.

Thanks for the AR advice guys. I have a lot of reading to do.

aplinker
05-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Josh-- that is awesome you know Fedor is. I saw him fight twice in LA. I am from Ukraine so I got that soviet blood pumping through me-- when we watch him fight, he truly represents everything a champion should be.

Thanks for the AR advice guys. I have a lot of reading to do.

Two suggestions as you read...

1.) it's not a life and death decision. You can always upgrade/swap/sell/exchange down the road.

2.) You WILL upgrade/swap/exchange/sell or plain just buy more down the road. It's a disease.

So it's really only 1 piece of advice. :D ARs are like tinker toys. You build something, then decide you want it another way, so you just build another or change the one you have. So, don't be afraid to just pull the trigger (pun intended) on something "good enough" as you can always change it later.