PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good price on an AR stripped lower?

eroberts88
05-23-2009, 1:17 PM
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and to the world of ARs and I dont know good prices at all. A local gun store has stripped lowers for 200 bucks, and its an off brand.. nothing ive heard of before or seen on the forums.. something like AF manufacturing? anyway, is that a decent price or should I look else where?

thanks in advance for any help

Evan

a1fabweld
05-23-2009, 1:19 PM
Evan, go to www.ddsranch.com & order them online. They'll ship to your FFL. Much cheaper & name brands if that's what you're looking for. They are having a sale this weekend BTW.

eroberts88
05-23-2009, 1:24 PM
Evan, go to www.ddsranch.com & order them online. They'll ship to your FFL. Much cheaper & name brands if that's what you're looking for. They are having a sale this weekend BTW.

thank you for the suggestion! Ill check out their site

And its not that im looking for a name brand, but I see posts about companies like DPMS, Del-ton, Stagg, and RRA making great products.. like I said Im new to this. Are all lowers created equal?

Cnynrat
05-23-2009, 1:27 PM
RifleGear (http://www.riflegear.com/default.aspx) is having a sale on lowers this weekend. I think you can get some good brand name stuff for well under $200.

ke6guj
05-23-2009, 1:30 PM
CWS in Highland has LAR grizzly lowers on sale this weekend for $109.

xs2k
05-23-2009, 1:37 PM
Don't pay more than 120-140 for it. They're ALL the same in my opinion, so pick one with the "logo" you like.

Get the Roggio from DD range for $99 bucks or Stag for $115 (on sale now).

Futurecollector
05-23-2009, 1:47 PM
If your in Riverside, check out BSP, or CWS,

eroberts88
05-23-2009, 2:12 PM
If your in Riverside, check out BSP, or CWS,

Ive checked out CWS a couple months back when first thinking about buying an AR, and didnt like my experience there at all...where is BSP?

ke6guj
05-23-2009, 2:25 PM
http://local.yahoo.com/info-20974879-bright-spot-pawn-riverside

Bright Spot Pawn

Store Hours: M-F 10-7 WED 10-6 SAT 10-5 CLOSED SUN

Riverside, CA 92509
View Map

Telephone: 951-360-1796

Fax: 951-360-0321

E-mail: GUNS4WORK@aol.com

hawk1547
05-23-2009, 2:33 PM
thank you for the suggestion! Ill check out their site

And its not that im looking for a name brand, but I see posts about companies like DPMS, Del-ton, Stagg, and RRA making great products.. like I said Im new to this. Are all lowers created equal?

Not all lowers are necessarily created equal.There are literally hundreds of shops selling all manner of lowers,most of which start off life at the same foundries and have minimal differences beyond markings and some minor machining nuances.Selection of any receiver from,RRA, Spikes Tactical,Stag Arms,Cmmg,Mega(to name but a few of the more common).,etc.will do the job they are required to.Good Luck!!..BTW,Welcome to Calguns!!

Ronco
05-23-2009, 2:39 PM
These are the best prices (POST OBAMA) that I've seen:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186650

In observance of the Memorial Day Holiday we will be running quite a few web only sales. These prices will be valid through and including Monday May 25, 2009. We will be discounting products throughout the weekend. The lowers we have on sales so far are:

Smith & Wesson: $179.95
Stag: $115.00
Spikes: $139.95
Spikes Color-fill: $149.95
Mega: $115.00
Noveske: $195.00
Aero Precision: $125.00
Del Ton: $139.95
Rock River With 2 Free Magazines: $175.00

PRIOR SALES ARE EXCLUDED

eroberts88
05-23-2009, 2:40 PM
Thanks Hawk! I thought they had to be pretty close to the same thing. I know some are CNC'ed from billet, while others are forged...but the spec had to be the same.

Thanks for all the help guys, I think I can now make an educated decision.

Futurecollector
05-23-2009, 2:57 PM
BSP, like Ke6guj said is Bright Spot Pawn, and Chris is a really really good guy there,

Also, I had some problems with CWS but they said that they were changing and such, and for 110 bucks why not lol

hawk1547
05-23-2009, 4:39 PM
BSP, like Ke6guj said is Bright Spot Pawn, and Chris is a really really good guy there,

Also, I had some problems with CWS but they said that they were changing and such, and for 110 bucks why not lol

+1 BSP rocks!!..Chris and Mark,really cool guys to deal with!

aplinker
05-23-2009, 5:07 PM
I prefer to pay $0. Anything else is gouging.

sreiter
05-23-2009, 5:52 PM
agree on DD ranch

i paid $300 for a RRA lower from CWS - DD's has them or 175, plus 2 free mags

as far as lowers go - my RRA lower mates up perfectly to my BCM upper. My stag is WAY off - i can see day lite in between the upper and lower

Futurecollector
05-23-2009, 6:22 PM
I prefer to pay $0. Anything else is gouging.

+1 :thumbsup:

eroberts88
05-23-2009, 6:25 PM
agree on DD ranch

as far as lowers go - my RRA lower mates up perfectly to my BCM upper. My stag is WAY off - i can see day lite in between the upper and lower

so say I buy a cheap LAR grizzly lower from cws, will this happen to me? Is it worth it to spend the extra cash?

Nessal
05-23-2009, 10:54 PM
so say I buy a cheap LAR grizzly lower from cws, will this happen to me? Is it worth it to spend the extra cash?

You'll be fine. Most have a little play in it. It's normal.

walter
05-23-2009, 11:13 PM
my RRA lower bolts up perfect to my colt upper

aplinker
05-23-2009, 11:23 PM
agree on DD ranch

Care to guess who makes RRA lowers? ;)

Saigon1965
05-23-2009, 11:35 PM
Before you go off and order something online/out of state - Check with your FFL to see how much they'll charge you to do a transfer - You might be in for a surprise -

IsaacGlass
05-24-2009, 12:32 AM
Care to guess who makes RRA lowers? ;)

I know I KNOW!!!!! (Pick me) :smartass:

Its CMT!!!!! :clap:

and CMT also makes RRA lowers.

Take your time and dont rush, read and research as much as you can.
As you can see you can get lots of opinions on forums some are good
and some can be misleading.

Here's a list of Lowers Mfr I got off from AR15.com

Lewis Machine & Tool

* LMT
* Lauer
* DS Arms
* PWA
* Eagle
* Armalite
* Knights Armament
* Barrett

Continental Machine Tool

* Stag
* Rock River Arms
* High Standard
* Noveske
* Century (New)
* Global Tactical
* CLE
* S&W
* MGI
* Wilson Tactical
* Grenadier Precision
* Colt

LAR Manufacturing

* LAR
* Bushmaster
* Ameetec
* DPMS
* CMMG (CMMG has moved some in-house)
* Double Star
* Fulton Armory

Kaiser
* Spike's Tactical

JVP

* Double Star
* LRB
* Charles Daly

Mega Machine Shop

* Mega
* GSE
* Dalphon
* POF
* Alexander Arms

Olympic

* Olympic
* SGW
* Tromix
* Palmetto
* Dalphon
* Frankford
* Century (Old)

Sun Devil

* Sun Devil forged billet receivers

Superior

* Superior Arms
* Lauer (New)

Aero Precision

* Aero Precision

Just makesure you also learn how to used your rifle properly and dont end up like these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWygoxV_ApM

IsaacGlass
05-24-2009, 12:33 AM
Before you go off and order something online/out of state - Check with your FFL to see how much they'll charge you to do a transfer - You might be in for a surprise -

+1000 :thumbsup: (now this is sound and good advice)

yock
05-24-2009, 1:24 AM
Don't do like I did before I got on here and buy a spikes lower for $280

LAR Manufacturing

* LAR
* Bushmaster
* Ameetec
* DPMS
* CMMG
* Double Star
* Fulton Armory
* Spike's Tactical

so what your saying is they are made from the same company?

swerv512
05-24-2009, 2:32 AM
I know I KNOW!!!!! (Pick me) :smartass:

Its CMT!!!!! :clap:

and CMT also makes RRA lowers.

Take your time and dont rush, read and research as much as you can.
As you can see you can get lots of opinions on forums some are good
and some can be misleading.

Here's a list of Lowers Mfr I got off from AR15.com

Lewis Machine & Tool

* LMT
* Lauer
* DS Arms
* PWA
* Eagle
* Armalite
* Knights Armament
* Barrett

Continental Machine Tool

* Stag
* Rock River Arms
* High Standard
* Noveske
* Century (New)
* Global Tactical
* CLE
* S&W
* MGI
* Wilson Tactical
* Grenadier Precision
* Colt

LAR Manufacturing

* LAR
* Bushmaster
* Ameetec
* DPMS
* CMMG
* Double Star
* Fulton Armory
* Spike's Tactical

JVP

* Double Star
* LRB
* Charles Daly

Mega Machine Shop

* Mega
* GSE
* Dalphon
* POF
* Alexander Arms

Olympic

* Olympic
* SGW
* Tromix
* Palmetto
* Dalphon
* Frankford
* Century (Old)

Sun Devil

* Sun Devil forged billet receivers

Superior

* Superior Arms
* Lauer (New)

Aero Precision

* Aero Precision

Just makesure you also learn how to used your rifle properly and dont end up like these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWygoxV_ApM

But that list does NOT mean that all lowers made by a certain maufacturer are equal. Yes, CMT manufactures lowers for the companies listed below it, but they are not all to the same specifications. there are differences between them...

aplinker
05-24-2009, 2:58 AM
But that list does NOT mean that all lowers made by a certain maufacturer are equal. Yes, CMT manufactures lowers for the companies listed below it, but they are not all to the same specifications. there are differences between them...

Oh? Such as?

By the way, that list isn't correct anymore. A lot of the companies switch around who cuts their lowers. For example, Kaiser cuts Spike's and CMMG has moved some in-house.

Anyways... the only REAL way to tell something about how a lower will be with a specific upper is to test them together. Batches from the same company cut by the same manufacturer will often be different.

In the end, it's not going to matter and, if it does, just buy something else and sell what you have.

hawk1547
05-24-2009, 8:05 AM
I have two Stag lowers I built currently mated to a Rock River 6.8 SPC upper and to Bushmaster 5.56 upper.Both fit very well and really tight.Finish matched to each upper very well also.My next build will probably be on a Noveske N4.
Anyways,all the lowers out there,all function the same and are all equally fine for an AR build.If I were you I will take into consideration two factors,price and manufacturer of course if price is not an object,get the receiver that has the logo or emblem that you most like..My top 5 favorite brands of receivers(in no order)are:Rock River,La Rue,Noveske,LMT,and Stag Arms.Finally the choice is clearly yours,and again good luck!

Jicko
05-24-2009, 8:51 AM
Some people are willing to pay more for the logo.... that's fine... nothing wrong with that..... just like some people are willing to pay more to drive a BMW, Mercedes..... while some people are just fine with Toyota or Ford....

Some people are willing to pay more since they don't want to work... to hunt for deals, to jump thru hoops....

Anyways.... if you are new to this, the bottomline is, most, if not all, are functionally the same... they fit any uppers.... you can expect to pay anywhere from $80 to $200.... on the regular lower.... just depending on how much work u wanna put it to find it....

eaglemike
05-24-2009, 9:53 AM
The screaming deal this weekend is $109 for the LAR at Cold War Shooters. This also means less sales tax! Anyone that thinks they can buy one online and get it through the FFL for that price does not have a clue......... :p

hawk1547
05-24-2009, 9:55 AM
Some people are willing to pay more for the logo.... that's fine... nothing wrong with that..... just like some people are willing to pay more to drive a BMW, Mercedes..... while some people are just fine with Toyota or Ford....

Some people are willing to pay more since they don't want to work... to hunt for deals, to jump thru hoops....

Anyways.... if you are new to this, the bottomline is, most, if not all, are functionally the same... they fit any uppers.... you can expect to pay anywhere from $80 to $200.... on the regular lower.... just depending on how much work u wanna put it to find it....

I agree,look around and you will find good deals!
look here:http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Receivers.html

Hunter4life1990
05-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Try gun shows i bought my AFM receiver from the cow palace gun show a few
weeks back for $169. it has a beautiful finish on it and all the parts fit perfectly.very happy with it :patriot:

swerv512
05-24-2009, 11:53 AM
glad i didnt buy a bunch of those LAR lowers when they were alomst $200 @ CWS a while back...

eroberts88
05-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Anyone know who makes Del-Ton lowers? Reason why im asking is I have a upper from them on the way.

Rukus
05-24-2009, 2:24 PM
Check out this great deal http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=187197 :rolleyes:

eroberts88
05-24-2009, 2:42 PM
Check out this great deal http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=187197 :rolleyes:

Thats insane! 490 each?? dude is nuts

Rukus
05-24-2009, 3:19 PM
Granted, the Noveske name seems to command more $$ and if indeed they are low serial #'s someone might pay a little more if they are a hard core collector but......WTF?

i_kai
05-24-2009, 3:37 PM
i'm pretty new to the AR world also. a friend of mine who's a moderator in this forum referred me to DD's for their price and service (CA friendly)

i think most lowers are more or less equal (others in this forum might be more knowledgeable) but that's what i was told. got a mega lower for $139.

and if you're looking for an FFL to do the transfer for you. i've found that entreprise arms is one of the cheapest out there at $45 + $25 for DOJ.

good luck!

hawk1547
05-24-2009, 4:04 PM
You are in Reverside,don't you?..Check with Chris at BSP,he has some Mega,Spikes Tactical,and Double Star in stock right now,or you can order from DD'S and pay only $60.00(includes transfer and DOJ fees)

yock
05-25-2009, 4:25 PM
I wish I could find a FFL near Fresno they all seem to be high priced around here.

AdiosKali
05-25-2009, 7:19 PM
CWS was open today and said today was the last day of the sale... Seems like a good deal on the LAR...

Camsnappersc
05-29-2009, 8:58 PM
I just picked up a Rock river new Lower on Gunbroker for 139

Darklyte27
05-29-2009, 9:04 PM
100-130$ now, they are coming back down