PDA

View Full Version : Transfer of old handguns.

firedown
05-23-2009, 8:17 AM
Hoping I can get some answers here. I figure you guys should know the laws on this one. A friend of mine recently found 3 beautiful Colt magnum revolvers in his passed Grandfather's attic. He is not into guns and He asked me if I would like to purchase them and of course I was interested. However, how do we find out if these are legal to transfer, if at all? Please let me know as I have a great opportunity to get some nice pieces and dont want to miss my 1 and only chance to ever get some of these.

Quiet
05-23-2009, 3:40 PM
Your friend fills out an Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf) form (fills in Aquired From: Grandfather, How Possession Was Obatined: Inheritance) and sends it with $19 to CA DOJ BOF.

Friend waits for CA DOJ BOF to send back confirmation (can take 2 weeks to 6 months). After which, friend can PPT them to you.

firedown
05-23-2009, 7:28 PM
Thanks Quiet, I knew the answer would be simple. We just don't want to get into any hassles since the total history of these firearms is unknown. 1 More question; Is the form valid for all 3 guns? Please advise. Thanks.

ke6guj
05-23-2009, 7:39 PM
should be, it has room for 3 handguns, and the directions say to just include addtional copies if you need room for more. $19 total for 1 or 100 :D

bohoki
05-23-2009, 8:10 PM
he could probably just ppt them to you without the oplaw

he would not get in trouble if they are not registered to him before he transfers them

firedown
05-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the info guys, very helpful. I'll post some pics of these nice pieces when I get them. :thumbsup: