PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen aftermarket handguards for KelTec Su-16?

Otony
02-07-2005, 9:19 PM
I saw a picture of something from the Shot Show. Seemed to duplicate an M4 handguard set-up, with Picatinny rails galore.

Problem is, I can't find it again, nor the manufacturer. Googled like crazy to no avail.

Anyone else?

Otony
02-07-2005, 9:19 PM
I saw a picture of something from the Shot Show. Seemed to duplicate an M4 handguard set-up, with Picatinny rails galore.

Problem is, I can't find it again, nor the manufacturer. Googled like crazy to no avail.

Anyone else?

Technical Ted
02-07-2005, 9:25 PM
You mean this? http://calguns.net/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=888602736&f=332609466&m=12010408021&r=27310050121#27310050121
Probably plastic rails at that.

Otony
02-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Ah, no, but that is interesting. Nope, the version I saw was definitely an aftermarket add-on, to replace the bipod version. It did look similar to your pic, but appeared a bit more substantial.

LongBch_SigP226
02-07-2005, 11:08 PM
You sure you are not confusing it with Springfield Armory SOCOM II (LE model)?

http://calguns.net/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=888602736&f=332609466&m=57810643121

Number 6
02-07-2005, 11:52 PM
Kel Tec is probably the maker of the product you are thinking of. The rumor is that they will be releasing the new handguard for general release in the near future.

http://www.custom-glock.com/shot05day3/pages/DSC00315.html

50 Freak
02-08-2005, 5:34 AM
I think I remember seeing one at the shot show. Sorry, wasn't too interested so it didn't stick in my head. Was for police anyways.

Otony
02-08-2005, 6:30 AM
Number 6,

That is the pic I saw. Somehow, I thought that it was aftermarket. Doesn't look bad, eh? Notice the barrel seems heavier?

jared@barringtons.com
02-08-2005, 10:32 AM
I have a buddie who wants me to develope some SU-16 parts for him. When is up to him.

maxicon
02-08-2005, 7:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Otony:
Notice the barrel seems heavier? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The AR15.com reviewer said the barrel's heavier on the SU16 C. That's gotta be a good thing. We'll never see the C or D in this state, unfortunately.

max

Otony
02-08-2005, 8:27 PM
We will probably never see the C or D, you are correct. However, I can't imagine KelTec not offering a version of the A or B with heavier barrel (no flash hider) and the M4 style forend. It would seem like a natural, and a huge seller in California!

I had a chance to play with an A, and the first thing I thought was that it needed a heavier barrel, better sights (OK, the B accomplishes that), and a different forend. KelTec can do all that without any changes other than what they drag out of the parts bin. It seems as though it just has to happen. It is far more likely than my down sized .223 Browning BAR dream http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

RRangel
02-08-2005, 9:10 PM
Will Kel-Tec sell the barrels? They sell other parts.

Cazach
02-09-2005, 1:26 PM
Received this email from Kel Tec today regarding the new handguard retrofit:

"Delta forend kit is $45.00 + S&H within the next month.
Thank you,
Kel-Tec Customer Service"

Stevil
02-09-2005, 9:31 PM
Nice! I'll be gettin one. The barrel removal on the SU is a real bear of a job. If they eventually offer the heavier barrel you'd probable have to send it in to them for installation.

rawny@mac.com
02-10-2005, 5:43 AM
Are we allowed to install a vertical grip on the forend? The weaver rail underneath is begging for one.

Cazach
02-10-2005, 8:44 AM
Rawny, I beleive a forward "Pistol Grip" is an evil feature and we are already maxed out of these by the removable mag on the SU-16.

Technical Ted
02-10-2005, 9:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cazach:
Rawny, I beleive a forward "Pistol Grip" is an evil feature and we are already maxed out of these by the removable mag on the SU-16. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's correct. A forward mounted vertical grip is vebotten under pc 12276.1 (the legal manifestation of California Senate Bill SB23)

Mike Searson
02-10-2005, 9:38 AM
You don't want a vertical forend grip with a conventional or non pistolgripped buttstock.

It throws off the ergos and you end up muscling the weapon.

Technical Ted
02-10-2005, 9:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Searson:
You don't want a vertical forend grip with a conventional or non pistolgripped buttstock.

It throws off the ergos and you end up muscling the weapon. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
But it's so TACTICAL!

Mike Searson
02-10-2005, 10:19 AM
I guess if tactical means suffering from loss of accuracy while looking very mall ninja-esque...then yes it is!

Technical Ted
02-10-2005, 11:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Searson:
I guess if tactical means suffering from loss of accuracy while looking very mall ninja-esque...then yes it is! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
There are those who know tactical to mean functionality in combatative situations, and there are those who think tactical is a fashion statement.

Mike Searson
02-10-2005, 11:28 AM
i'm trying to restore the first definition to the word.

http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

endings1@aol.com
02-10-2005, 12:12 PM
How many times did a firearm deliver functionality, but looked butt-ugly?

Was it a reason to not buy it? Maybe back in the days, at least in CA when we had options galore.

If I'm going to buy a FAB-10 AR, it's because it looks like an AR, cos' function wise it's crap IMO(Yes, my only gripe is the fixed 10 round mag), unless you plan on using it for medium range target shooting.

I don't see anything wrong with someone wanting a Tactical looking CA legal semi-auto rifle.

I didn't really care for guns one way or another until I realized that we could buy guns that LOOKED like what the police and military used. That's what got me hooked, are looks the top priority? Of course not, but hey! They can't hurt, and if it brings more people to the Pro-Gun table, more power to us! We need all the numbers and de-programming of the masses we can get.

*Steps off Soapbox*

But, yeah, vertical fore grips on semi-auto detachable mag rifles are illegal per SB-23.

jared@barringtons.com
02-11-2005, 1:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> i'm trying to restore the first definition to the word. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tacticle is related to the word: Tactic. To be tacticle, is to use tactics in your way of operation. What seams to me to be the most common inturpitation of the word in relation to military and firearms is another turm for CQB.
A real tacticle situation in military would be to use stratigic manuvers and deployments to out perform your enemy, where a non-tacticle ( or primitivley tacticle ) operation would be to do something like charge your enemy out in open field and get mowd down.

Stevil
02-11-2005, 12:43 PM
You're in Roseville, interesting. What SU mod's were you thinking about? BTW, do you own a spell check? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif