PDA

View Full Version : new gun law waiting for Obama signature

johnthomas
05-22-2009, 11:08 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/21/us/politics/21cards.html?_r=1
This is good news for consumers and gun folks. Of course if your a credit card company and think it is only right to raise interest rates that force people into financial trouble, it may not be so good.
The Gun law would allow loaded guns in national parks or preserve.

TheBundo
05-22-2009, 11:10 PM
Posted all over. Old news

oaklander
05-22-2009, 11:11 PM
FAIL

MrClamperSir
05-22-2009, 11:13 PM
Isn't this how bills get passed, sneaking them trough amongst other "more important" bills?

johnthomas
05-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Posted all over. Old news

What is your point. I looked and didn't find it and thought it might be worth sharing with people that has not heard about it yet. In the future I'll keep my thoughts to myself.

Doheny
05-22-2009, 11:24 PM
Welcome to Cal Guns.

Hold on and enjoy the ride. Not for the faint of heart.

tombinghamthegreat
05-22-2009, 11:31 PM
He already signed it as of today...

CenterX
05-22-2009, 11:32 PM
I'm glad it got reposted. I'm traveling and not hawking on every news cast - so this was news to me.
Thank you Mr Wang.

CenterX
05-22-2009, 11:33 PM
He already signed it as of today...

EXCELLENT! Thanks for the info...... I feel better about coming home soon.

Librarian
05-22-2009, 11:36 PM
What is your point. I looked and didn't find it and thought it might be worth sharing with people that has not heard about it yet. In the future I'll keep my thoughts to myself.

The point is these threadshttp://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186272

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186109

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186287
all are discussing the bill, HR 627 (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.627:).

It's not your thoughts, it's a lack of specificity in the thread titles - including this one - that makes it very difficult to see that all of these threads are about exactly the same thing.

ETA: ... and indeed, he did sign it today - see whitehouse.gov - picture caption "President Barack Obama and a bipartisan group of lawmakers applaud after the President signed the
Credit Card Accountability, Responsibility and Disclosure Act in the Rose Garden of the White House Friday, May 22, 2009. Official White House photo by Chuck Kennedy", so it becomes effective in 9 months - February 22, 2010.

obeygiant
05-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Welcome to Calguns! Personally, I'm glad you reposted it.

Maestro Pistolero
05-23-2009, 12:37 AM
People are writing about it like they got another puppy in the white house. Mr. Obama at least appears to know when to acquiesce. Wasn't the gun part of the law voted on separately? Or did it still arrive on the President's desk as one bill?

I would love to be a fly on the wall during the next White House luncheon with the VPC. "Hey, uh Paul (Helmke), could you pass the crow?" This has got to be a bitter pill for the opponents. They simply can't be happy about the trend since Heller froze over.

bwiese
05-23-2009, 1:09 AM
The law has been signed by the President.

However, the credit card provisions don't kick in until next year so it appears the gun provisions won't be active immediately, either.

Roadrunner
05-23-2009, 1:21 AM
What's very interesting is that I got an email from Barbara Boxer telling me how great she is because this credit card bill was passed. The thing is, it says nothing about the loaded guns in parks provision of the bill. So I guess they don't want the uninformed to know about it. No surprise there.

All of the news services are doing the same thing. Can we say SNAFU?

TheDM
05-23-2009, 6:21 AM

Don't worry about it John. Some individuals on here believe that everyone reads every post and should be hanged or ridiculed for in good faith accidentally posting something that has already been brought up. I read what I have time for, I go weeks without signing on.

For me, one post that reflects something I've already read is not nearly as annoying as the 30 posts telling the original reposter that it was already posted. Honestly, even a dupe is on topic, but a post referring to a post as duplicate, is not on topic.

And now, my post, the anti dupe post, is now also not on topic, it's a reverse dupe post.

So I now look just as silly as they do.

Sigh.......

Heatseeker
05-23-2009, 8:18 AM
Did anyone notice the look on Obama's face when he was signing the bill? He didn't look too happy to me. He didn't have his usual cheesy smile pasted on. Maybe he felt like he just got slapped by the American people!

It wouldn't surprise me to see some kind of an attack against the National Park carry provision between now and the time it takes effect. The girls(pelosi and swinestein) probably aren't too happy about it!!!

MP301
05-23-2009, 8:50 AM

Dont do that, just ignore the "DUPE" fanatics. I see stuff all the time that are called "DUPES" that I have never seen. Its one thing if its a current "DUPE" on another thread, but if its one that was around a while ago, then who cares!

And dont even apologize when posting a possible "DUPE". WHO FREAKIN CARES! I want to see the info and if I missed it last time, then I still get to see it. The search sucks and there is so much volume of stuff herfe, that I could read from the time I wake up until the time I go to sleep and still never catch up!

"DUPE" Police, take a break!

motorhead
05-23-2009, 9:10 AM
it's cool. welcome aboard. search is NOT your friend, it's actually your enemy and wants to make everyone hate you.

pTa
05-23-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm jus glad the Executiev don't have
Line Item Veto

Glock22Fan
05-23-2009, 11:41 AM
I'd rather see things several times, than not see them at all. The only times I get really, really tired is when I see threads entitled "What is a secure case?" or "Can I keep a 15 round mag I've had for fifty years?" or "What does 'FUD' mean?"

These, I mostly ignore.

CABilly
05-24-2009, 12:26 AM
On topic, this bill is a few years too late. Out of nowhere, my CCs (that I always pay on time and at least 2x the minimum if I'm carrying a balance) both had their limits slashed and the rates jacked up. I'm calling Primerica next week so I can consolidate through them and tell those bastards they just got their last payments from me.

CA_Libertarian
05-25-2009, 1:17 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/21/us/politics/21cards.html?_r=1
This is good news for consumers and gun folks. Of course if your a credit card company and think it is only right to raise interest rates that force people into financial trouble, it may not be so good.

Why do people like it when the feds overstep their bounds, piss on the right to contract, and generally **** with the free market? I honestly don't understand it...

If you don't like the product/services you're buying, then simply stop buying them. Reject contractual addendums (e.g. APR increases). The worst they can do is close your account and require you to pay by the terms of your current contract. (My sources say that those of us who are good customers will get a pass on these addendums without losing our lines of credit.)

Bigger federal government is NOT the answer. The government's job is to enforce contracts, not infringe on them to the benefit of their constituents. As evidenced by our current financial situation, it is dangerous to allow Congress to meddle in financial affairs.

And FYI, I stand to benefit from this, as I am one of the people Chase, CapitalOne, et al, are trying to "take advantage" of.

Laissez faire!

Heatseeker
05-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Why do people like it when the feds overstep their bounds, piss on the right to contract, and generally **** with the free market? I honestly don't understand it...

If you don't like the product/services you're buying, then simply stop buying them. Reject contractual addendums (e.g. APR increases). The worst they can do is close your account and require you to pay by the terms of your current contract. (My sources say that those of us who are good customers will get a pass on these addendums without losing our lines of credit.)

Bigger federal government is NOT the answer. The government's job is to enforce contracts, not infringe on them to the benefit of their constituents. As evidenced by our current financial situation, it is dangerous to allow Congress to meddle in financial affairs.

And FYI, I stand to benefit from this, as I am one of the people Chase, CapitalOne, et al, are trying to "take advantage" of.

Laissez faire!

Wrong! I just got a letter from Chase, who took over my Wamu credit card account(my only CC). Interest was hiked from 16.5% to 23%. I've never been late on a payment(in the 4 1/2 years I've had the card) and always make at least double the minimum payment. A 6.5% increase for no reason at all...I will pay this account off and never use this or any other credit card again!

gazzavc
05-25-2009, 10:44 AM
The way to beat the CC buggers is simple.

1) Don't carry a balance

2) If you can't afford it, don't buy it now. Save up till you CAN afford it.

3) Any CC company that wants an annual fee, cut up the card and send it back.

Thats where this country got itself into a right mess in the first place.

There is no good reason for anyone to be paying 23% interest rates.

G

Heatseeker
05-25-2009, 11:11 AM
The way to beat the CC buggers is simple.

1) Don't carry a balance I hadn't carried much of a balance until early last year(the balance is still relatively low). I couldn't resist a couple of group buy deals :D

2) If you can't afford it, don't buy it now. Save up till you CAN afford it. I've always lived by this rule for the most part. Very good advice!

3) Any CC company that wants an annual fee, cut up the card and send it back. I plan on sending my only card back, fee or no fee!

Thats where this country got itself into a right mess in the first place.

There is no good reason for anyone to be paying 23% interest rates.

G

All good advice!

There is still no excuse for this kind of action by CC companies. Taking advantage of their 'good' customers is despicable.

stag6.8
05-25-2009, 12:14 PM
All good advice!

There is still no excuse for this kind of action by CC companies. Taking advantage of their 'good' customers is despicable.

but here`s the bad part of this philosopy......if you want a strong FICO score you have to use one whether its a unsecured or secured card so if you want a decent car at a good finance rate for example ....thats what they go by.....so they got you regardless.....and thats what needs to change.

Amacias805
05-25-2009, 1:49 PM
are you serious how is the credit card bill good??? to not be able to get a credit card until your 21 without a parents Co-sign? that is just as lame as being able to be drafted into war, but not be able to have an alcoholic beverage...

nicki
05-25-2009, 3:48 PM
The banks screwed up on mortgages and jacking up interest rates when they themselves have been getting reductions and government bailouts isn't going to fly to well with many people.

Perhaps if we grow large enough in size, we can create our own bank.

Nicki

CA_Libertarian
05-25-2009, 5:20 PM

Wrong! I just got a letter from Chase, who took over my Wamu credit card account(my only CC). Interest was hiked from 16.5% to 23%. I've never been late on a payment(in the 4 1/2 years I've had the card) and always make at least double the minimum payment. A 6.5% increase for no reason at all...I will pay this account off and never use this or any other credit card again!

Did you call and tell them that you will close your account if they jack up your rate? I've not called my card companies yet, but a friend told me that he did that with two different companies and they simply let him keep his card/account and reversed it to his original rate.

Going to try making those calls tomorrow; will report my results.

glockwise2000
05-25-2009, 7:00 PM
Well, even if BHO vetoed it, it would still pass because it has more than 2/3 votes which BHO has no control about. 361/64 infavor.

Heatseeker
05-25-2009, 7:32 PM
Did you call and tell them that you will close your account if they jack up your rate? I've not called my card companies yet, but a friend told me that he did that with two different companies and they simply let him keep his card/account and reversed it to his original rate.

Going to try making those calls tomorrow; will report my results.
Not yet. I just received the letter on Saturday. I will though. Thanks for the advice!
but here`s the bad part of this philosopy......if you want a strong FICO score you have to use one whether its a unsecured or secured card so if you want a decent car at a good finance rate for example ....thats what they go by.....so they got you regardless.....and thats what needs to change.

Not entirely true. I bought my house previous to having a credit card. And the first car I ever financed was purchased before I obtained this credit card also. Having revolving credit accounts may help but are not necessary to get financing.

tiko
05-25-2009, 10:59 PM
I know it but still want to hear again, thanx. Next time do not hesitate to post something, it may be too old for some people but still new for others. Anyway i do not want to turn anyone down by say dupe or old.

Riodog
05-25-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm jus glad the Executiev don't have
Line Item Veto

I think I'm speechless! Do they know that you escaped and found the 'puter'?
Some one call the warden or doctor.
Rio