PDA

View Full Version : My $13.00 extractor lesson

VaderSpade
05-22-2009, 8:07 PM
I have been mixing and matching my AR bolts lately. Trying to see if one works better in one gun or another. I have go, no-go, and field gauges and I have found there is a differences, although none have closed on the field gauge, some bolts will close on the no-go gauge in some barrels and not in others. I wanted to get the tightest tolerances for the best barrels.

Well my oldest bolt is a Colt from 1982. No matter which gun I put it in it had extraction problems. I checked the strength of the extractor spring and found it was very weak when compared to any of my new bolts. So I sent off for some new springs. Most are in the $1.00-$2.00 range so I ordered several. The first one I tried was no help, I still had extraction problems :( I hate extraction problems, and I sure donít want to be trying to pry a casing out under fire.

So I see this $13.00 spring, shipping not included. Well I was desperate so off goes my money, and I got to say it was worth it. No more extraction problems, hell I canít budge the thing with my finger. I was worried it was too stiff, but thatís not the case.

All that being said you donít have to pay $13.00 for this same fix. The only thing different about this spring is a little 20-cent O-ring. Hell I wouldnít even replace the spring if I had to do it again. Just slip the O-ring over the old one.

Iím sure most of you already knew this but for the few that didnít now you do.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=24635&title=AR-15/M16%20EXTRACTOR%20UPGRADE%20KIT&s=51153#51153

Josh3239
05-22-2009, 8:33 PM
The O-ring is supposed to be a good fix. Another one is the D-fender

akjunkie
05-22-2009, 8:35 PM
YUP, i use O-rings on all my extractors.

$13 is also the going rate for the D-Fender ring.

(O ring shaped like a D)

bought my O-ring set from Harbor Freight.. $5 for several different sizes.

yock
05-22-2009, 8:49 PM
got to love Harbor Freight!!!

mvpatriot
05-22-2009, 8:54 PM
got to love Harbor Freight!!!

plus... they support the NRA

Vtec44
05-22-2009, 8:59 PM
bought my O-ring set from Harbor Freight.. $5 for several different sizes.

Got a link? I bought a set from HomeDepot but all are too big.

yock
05-22-2009, 9:42 PM
plus... they support the NRA

see you learn something new every day. I didn't know!

VaderSpade
05-22-2009, 9:56 PM
There's a King Bearing in (this) town. They have a box of O-rings on the counter just pick the size you need (as many as you need). Most are just pennies.