PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh... Spike's .22 conversion kit is STUCK!

Macadelic4
05-22-2009, 7:09 PM
Got a fairly major problem: my Spike's .22 conversion kit carrier (brand new, never fired) is now stuck in my AR's upper. Long story short, when I first tried to install the thing, it fit really tightly. I thought that was normal, and considering that afterword it fed properly and the magazine sat normally, I thought all was just peachy.

Turns out I was wrong. I tried a piece of plastic and a rubber mallet on the very rear of the carrier after lubing it, but no dice. Any ideas for removing this thing without damaging the upper? Any help appreciated.

Arteel
05-22-2009, 7:14 PM
I lightly tapped mine out with a punch when it was new, after using it, the kit comes right out.

BigBamBoo
05-22-2009, 7:18 PM

!@#$
05-22-2009, 7:56 PM
just give a good pull on the charging handle.

ENTHUSIAST
05-22-2009, 8:22 PM
Just got off the phone w/ Macadelic4 and he tried using the forward assist no help... then pulling back the CH nothin... and then pulling the CH while pushing the bolt face backward by hand still nothing...

Bump for more help...

MILLITIAof1
05-22-2009, 8:26 PM
c4?

!@#$
05-22-2009, 8:26 PM
pull it hard it will come out. mine was the same way. he won't damage the CH.

Macadelic4
05-22-2009, 10:12 PM
pull it hard it will come out. mine was the same way. he won't damage the CH.

Like short, hard tugs or just muscle for a few seconds?

Jicko
05-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Happened to me, i even posted a thread on Spike's sub-forum on arfcom.

I ended up using the rubber covered end of a carbine (3 prong) wrench, stick it between the rear take down pin lug and the rear shelf of the Spike's bolt... and twist hard.... that will assert a rear-ward force to push out your bolt...

http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/images/art/ar15parts/m4stockwrench.jpg

Pulling the CH hard may work, but 1) the CH is pretty loose, and there are too much stuff in between your CH and anything solid in the .22 bolt for the force to transfer... 2) beware of the bolt if it come flying out.....

Try the way i suggested first... :rolleyes: PM me the result....

Good luck.

Arteel
05-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Shoot a mag through it. It should loosen up.

ENTHUSIAST
05-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Macadelic I got one of the 3 prong wrenches from Jicko's post I will bring it to the shoot tomorrow if your bolt is still stuck! :thumbsup:

Macadelic4
05-22-2009, 11:03 PM
Macadelic I got one of the 3 prong wrenches from Jicko's post I will bring it to the shoot tomorrow if your bolt is still stuck! :thumbsup:

Sounds good :thumbsup:! Jicko, I'll let you know how this turns out.

ENTHUSIAST
05-23-2009, 5:27 PM
Worked like magic the soft end of the wrench was the right amount of torque... it came right out.

Happened to me, i even posted a thread on Spike's sub-forum on arfcom.

I ended up using the rubber covered end of a carbine (3 prong) wrench, stick it between the rear take down pin lug and the rear shelf of the Spike's bolt... and twist hard.... that will assert a rear-ward force to push out your bolt...

http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/images/art/ar15parts/m4stockwrench.jpg

Pulling the CH hard may work, but 1) the CH is pretty loose, and there are too much stuff in between your CH and anything solid in the .22 bolt for the force to transfer... 2) beware of the bolt if it come flying out.....

Try the way i suggested first... :rolleyes: PM me the result....

Good luck.

Macadelic4
05-23-2009, 6:45 PM
^^ You beat me to it! I simply used the back end as a level with the takedown area of the upper as the fulcrum. Thanks Jicko and Enthusiast!

TwitchALot
05-23-2009, 11:23 PM
We'll talk when I get back. :p

Nessal
05-24-2009, 12:36 PM
I heard of a lot of problems with ciener and some about spikes. I personally have cmmg and it works PERFECTLY. It slides easily going into the upper and fires right off the bat. Anyone have any problems with the cmmg conversions? Maybe cmmg is the way to go?

Army
05-24-2009, 5:38 PM
BTW, the forward assist will do nothing at all. Hammer spring tension also adds to the "stickiness".

Macadelic4
05-24-2009, 9:34 PM
I heard of a lot of problems with ciener and some about spikes. I personally have cmmg and it works PERFECTLY. It slides easily going into the upper and fires right off the bat. Anyone have any problems with the cmmg conversions? Maybe cmmg is the way to go?

Aside from the stickiness, the kit performed really well. The BD mag that came with it was also just fine.

Jicko
05-24-2009, 9:39 PM
I have them all...

I have been telling people.... RUN away from ciener... it is a thing of the past.... I had one a long long time ago... it just doesn't work.... yeah, u can make it work... after a LOT of tweaking... like i file like almost every surface... the ONLY good thing is... I've got a lot of "good magazines"....

Spike's and CMMG's are very good... since they are new... yet... between them... Spike's got the blink blink... yet... CMMG works right out the box, and continue to work.... while my Spike's have problems after problems....

HK Dave
05-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Same thing happened to me, i just sprayed it down with rem oil, waited a minutes then jerked the charging handle and it came out.